Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the OEM lighting to the colored LEDs? If so, was it worth the time?

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,223 Posts
If you are thinking about changing out the faceplate for a custom one then I would hold off. The new faceplates are all made with a blue backing instead of the OEM white.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve changed my steppers quite a few years ago. Have not considered the new faceplate. Seems like a bit more too r/r the OEM lamps with the soldering iron.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,545 Posts
I am in the process of Cluster LED lights.

Tried them many years ago, worse than incandescent bulbs we had.

These look very promising, Jim Greeley is having them installed at our local Speedo Shop that I work with.

Then I will start installing on mine.

Link: https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/instrument-cluster-gauge/neox-led-bulb-high-power-instrument-panel-led/221/998/

Be sure you order SMALL base, I ordered the big base, can't solder to board.

Dicktator

These are the one's I tried years ago, MUCH better NOW!!
Last picture shows OEM verses LED.

Attachments

·
Registered
452 Posts
By small base, do you mean the 5mm that shows up on the link or smaller (3mm).
What color did you get?
Is the background of your Cluster Face Plate Blue?
How does this compare to the Cube Blue Lights sold by Speedo?

·
DFW TX Crew
1,435 Posts
I did and love them. They are worth the effort if you don't screw up the circuit board yes. The only problem though is once you change them you'll like them so much all the rest of the lights in the inside will seem dull and you won't be satisfied till they all match.... ask me how I know. ;)

I ended up removing the old socket lights and just soldering all my LED lights in place. You need to make sure you get the correct LED's though that are dimmable otherwise they will be too bright.

Here's a couple pics of my dark blue LED interior.

Attachments

·
DFW TX Crew
1,435 Posts
A few more pics....

I have also since changed out the radio and the new one has the ability to change the light colors so the radio now matching everything else.

I still need to get the steering wheel buttons lit up. Maybe at the next tech session or something I can do them....

Attachments

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,545 Posts
I did and love them. They are worth the effort if you don't screw up the circuit board yes. The only problem though is once you change them you'll like them so much all the rest of the lights in the inside will seem dull and you won't be satisfied till they all match.... ask me how I know. ;)

I ended up removing the old socket lights and just soldering all my LED lights in place. You need to make sure you get the correct LED's though that are dimmable otherwise they will be too bright.

Here's a couple pics of my dark blue LED interior.
Josh, Yours look like "cube" which is what I used from Speedo years ago and was disappointed.

I really, really like the lights (LED) you installed, what brand are they??

I paid $1.95 ea for the LED's I am trying. But they seem to show "hot" spot behind bulb, yours doesn't.

Dicktator

Attachments

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Hey Josh, How about giving us a tutorial for all of the internal lights. Yours look great!!!!!!!

I have the console lights you put in and they are great!!!!

Thanks

·
DFW TX Crew
1,435 Posts
Josh, Yours look like "cube" which is what I used from Speedo years ago and was disappointed.

I really, really like the lights (LED) you installed, what brand are they??

I paid $1.95 ea for the LED's I am trying. But they seem to show "hot" spot behind bulb, yours doesn't.

Dicktator
Thanks, the LED's I soldered into my interior are not the cubes, they are more like small "pancake" style lights. I'll have to show you a pic of them.
Mine still have very very minor high and low spots but really not that noticeable I think.
They are too bright though, at night I have to turn the dimmer all the way down and then up a couple clicks. But perfect if you dim them like that.

Hey Josh, How about giving us a tutorial for all of the internal lights. Yours look great!!!!!!!

I have the console lights you put in and they are great!!!!

Thanks

What console lights are you referring too?

To do a tutorial on this would be waaaaaaaayy too much. It's basically a lot of taking stuff apart till you find a circuit board then removing the old socket lights, finding the positive side of the light connection and soldering in the new LED lights to the exact height that it needs to be. Then testing it all.
I will post a bunch of pics though if that will help. You'll see how complicated it really is.

Josh

·
Registered
188 Posts
Josh,
I was looking into some brighter lights recently, and came across some like you showed using. Would theses be like the ones you used? They come in several colors. Do you recommend the white?

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011E8T4GW/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2DR7V6CUKLDOJ&colid=QB3N3WYQHMZL&psc=1[/ame]

·
DFW TX Crew
1,435 Posts
Josh,
I was looking into some brighter lights recently, and came across some like you showed using. Would theses be like the ones you used? They come in several colors. Do you recommend the white?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011E8T4GW/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I2DR7V6CUKLDOJ&colid=QB3N3WYQHMZL&psc=1

Those look like the correct lights yes. However please do your research and make sure they are dimmable. It's very important that you can dim them, trust me they will be bright.

I've never used the white one either so keep that in mind. Mine are dark blue.

Also you need to be decent with soldering for this as these circuit boards are not replaceable. Keep your soldering pen around 20W. Most are around 60W I believe.

Josh

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Thanks Josh, the lights Darbysan posted say they are dimable.

You are most helpful. You posted just what I was looking for, the headlight control and the HVAC controls.

Where did you get the ones you used.

Thanks again!

·
DFW TX Crew
1,435 Posts
Thanks Josh, the lights Darbysan posted say they are dimable.

You are most helpful. You posted just what I was looking for, the headlight control and the HVAC controls.

Where did you get the ones you used.

Thanks again!
Amazon, but mine are dark blue. You can also get them in red, green, white, and ice blue. If you just replace the gauge cluster I think it's 9 or 11 lights, but for the entire interior I believe you will need 33 lights total so keep that in mind when buying the LED lights if you plan on going all the way with it. Plus buy extra just incase you break one as they're pretty fragile.

If you take this project on, you must be very careful soldering that circuit board, don't bump anything or you could fry it or a part of it and make sure the solder iron is around 20W not 60W or you could also damage the circuit board.

Josh

·
DFW TX Crew
1,435 Posts
Not for the faint of heart project....a bad solder joint or a burned land is BAD

Right, I would not perform this for another SSR fanatic but only on my own. Way too much risk involved. I did not realize at first as I was doing mine until after it was kind of all said and done.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts