Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Premium Member
2006 Pac Blue 6-Speed
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the Sealight S1 H11 LED headlights not long ago from Amazon, and installed them in my SSR.

Today I received the attached Recall Notice from Amazon, advising me that the headlights have been recalled because, "These bulbs can create excessive glare or brightness to oncoming traffic."

It appears from the details contained within the links in the recall notice that all of this part number manufactured in 2018, 2019, and 2020 are included in the recall.

I am sharing the info here so that others will be aware of the recall and able to take any action they feel may be appropriate.

-John

Attachments

· SSR Pit Crew
2004 Silver SSR with Strips. Owned 19yrs. Start 9K, now 166K miles
14,976 Posts
I installed LED bulbs when they first came out. And on the Box, it said "illegal on highway, OFF ROAD ONLY". Tried them anyway, hot, lots of wire and resisters. Wiring nightmare.

Sealight, that I'm running now, are plug and play. Frank aka Dinerman helped me install them and he is also running them.

Going on 4yrs now.

YES, there are a LOT of bright LED out there, on other cars coming toward me.

First 5 pictures are the OFF ROAD ONLY LED that Lonnie installed.
Last 4 pictures are the Sealight LED that Frank and I installed.

Dicktator

Attachments

· Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
1,229 Posts
I ordered and installed these same Sealight S1 H11 bulbs in January 2020. I use Amazon all the time and have NOT received a recall message from Amazon. A quick search found this notice on the Consumer Affairs website dated July 2021. Note that "ConsumerAffairs is not a government agency and may be compensated by companies displayed". Also interesting that Sealight still offers the S1 H11 LED bulbs for sale on their website.
Sounds like the "too bright" issue is actually a marketing ploy.

· Super Road Rocket Pilot
7,046 Posts
I ordered and installed these same Sealight S1 H11 bulbs in January 2020. I use Amazon all the time and have NOT received a recall message from Amazon. A quick search found this notice on the Consumer Affairs website dated July 2021. Note that "ConsumerAffairs is not a government agency and may be compensated by companies displayed". Also interesting that Sealight still offers the S1 H11 LED bulbs for sale on their website.
Sounds like the "too bright" issue is actually a marketing ploy.
It's not too bright, the problem is the light pattern, it's horrendous. Sealights LUX output is nearly the same as OEM, it is just whiter.

Instead of a nice flat cut off line that the OEM housing is designed to produce with a halogen bulb, when installed in the OEM housing, some cheaply designed led bulbs produce scattered light outputs. This is due to the LED placement and design of the LED bulb during manufacturing. It takes design time to mimic the OEM halogen output properly.

OEM example - Yellowish output, 373 LUX, but a controlled beam pattern cutoff line

Sealight - Similar LUX as OEM (393), more white, but terrible scatter pattern which shines into the faces of oncoming traffic.

I use Lasfit, they have much higher LUX (670) and have a MUCH better beam.
Nearly identical to the OEM pattern, will not scatter light into the eyes of oncoming traffic, all light is properly focused on the road in front of the driver.

While I think it is still true today, that no LED aftermarket bulb is approved for on road use, people that desire a better view at night should choose something that is not going to obstruct the vision of oncoming traffic and one that actually provides much more output and not just a whiter light. Even with nealy twice the power of the OEM lights, you do not get twice the distance while driving, but it sure does help a lot more.

Helpful Links
ABS, Fusebox, Speedo, etc Repair
Fanatic Pinmap
Technical Resources - Quick searchable help

· SSR Pit Crew
2004 Silver SSR with Strips. Owned 19yrs. Start 9K, now 166K miles
14,976 Posts
SCAM!

Not Amazon Logo, No letter head address, No Date, No Signature, call this number for free bulbs, YEA RIGHT, then they have YOUR phone#.

And will want Name/Address, your Amazon account, Social Security Number to prove it is you.

SCAM! Not for me.

Should report your letter to Amazon.

Dicktator

· Premium Member
7,045 Posts
It's not too bright, the problem is the light pattern, it's horrendous. Sealights LUX output is nearly the same as OEM, it is just whiter.
I use Lasfit, they have much higher LUX (670) and have a MUCH better beam.
Nearly identical to the OEM pattern, will not scatter light into the eyes of oncoming traffic, all light is properly focused on the road in front of the driver.

While I think it is still true today, that no LED aftermarket bulb is approved for on road use, people that desire a better view at night should choose something that is not going to obstruct the vision of oncoming traffic
Helpful Links
ABS, Fusebox, Speedo, etc Repair
Fanatic Pinmap
Technical Resources - Quick searchable help
My thought is, NTSB and local Law enforcement departments, have let this Headlight stuff get out of hand!! Nothing personal to those that want brighter lights, but it has really gotten IRRITATING, difficult and at times dangerous to drive at night !! Sometimes I fantasize about shooting them out--well, not really, weeelll ---. I hate Government control BUT, I remember the old days when the Inspection stations, in Texas anyway, had a machine that checked the headlights for proper aiming. I'm ready for that and or tickets for too bright / off road headlights. Finished venting -----

Nick

· BAD BOW TIE
12,172 Posts
Sure hope you guys are not part of the blinding light people I hate at night.

Reactions: nj6969
1 - 16 of 16 Posts