Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was inquiring about the new F1 LED Kit from Putco after reading about the Heat issue with the Headlights. The F1 offers a new innovative COB LED, a miniaturized driver, and the #1 thermal solution available.

F1 LED Kit Carid has this listed for a 2005 Chevy SSR. First, is it a direct fit? Second, are these bulbs cool whereas the HID run very hot.

Here is their response:

Thank you for contacting Putco. All of our LED kits are meant to be direct replacements per bulb type/size (ie 9005, H11, H10 etc). They are not vehicle specific. If your vehicle calls for an H11 for example, and you purchase an H11 kit, we can guarantee it will connect to your factory housing and plug and work as it should, but cannot guarantee the size fitment for your headlamp assembly. Each bulb may be too large or certain vehicles may have something in the way that prohibits full insertion of the bulb.

Yes, our LED kits run only about 125-130 degrees and they are much more efficient at cooling themselves compared to an HID.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,919 Posts
I was inquiring about the new F1 LED Kit from Putco after reading about the Heat issue with the Headlights. The F1 offers a new innovative COB LED, a miniaturized driver, and the #1 thermal solution available.

F1 LED Kit Carid has this listed for a 2005 Chevy SSR. First, is it a direct fit? Second, are these bulbs cool whereas the HID run very hot.

Here is their response:

Thank you for contacting Putco. All of our LED kits are meant to be direct replacements per bulb type/size (ie 9005, H11, H10 etc). They are not vehicle specific. If your vehicle calls for an H11 for example, and you purchase an H11 kit, we can guarantee it will connect to your factory housing and plug and work as it should, but cannot guarantee the size fitment for your headlamp assembly. Each bulb may be too large or certain vehicles may have something in the way that prohibits full insertion of the bulb.

Yes, our LED kits run only about 125-130 degrees and they are much more efficient at cooling themselves compared to an HID.
Be aware that all the LED and HID headlight replacement bulbs have warnings they are for off road use only. They are not DOT compliant. the headlights that use halogen bulbs are designed for those replacement halogen bulbs to properly focus the light on low and high to NHTSA and DOT standards. While replacement bulbs may look brighter they do not focus the light where it is needed for safe driving and can blind oncoming drivers.
OEM LED headlights on newer cars are purpose designed to properly focus the emitters. If one goes bad the entire headlight assy has to be replaced.

The polycarbonate lenses on cars can withstand the heat but it does cause crazing after 10+ years on any vehicle with halogen headlights due to the heat oxidation and aging of the polymers.

But, hey give it a shot, just be aware of the issues.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,048 Posts
A lot of those super duty bulbs get very hot and can melt the receptacle or the lens. Someone messed theirs up this last week and the SSR headlights are about $450.00 a piece. "CAREFUL".

Reactions: S2NAZ

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,365 Posts
Thanks Greg & Auggie for the cautionary words. -- :surprise:

This subject of (brighter) headlight replacement seems to come up every 6 months or so. I really appreciate Greg's input about "off road" replacements not being DOT compliant. That can be serious. >:)

Most of us can relate to being blinded while driving at night on a dark stretch of asphalt only to have some DA coming at you with illegally bright lights!! -- :evil: -- things can get ugly in a heartbeat. -- :crying:

images-2.jpeg

==============
David :black:
images-10.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,007 Posts
If you come to the Tech Day, you can checkout my HIDs. I’ve run them for years, no warranty expressed or implied. I’m also going to bring the IR temp gun to see what the temperature difference is.

·
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's
1,589 Posts
My fellow Fanatic Yellow Bird (James G) from SK Canada went to his GM Dealer in Regina SK, and they installed LED bulbs in his headlights, and I'm telling you, he followed me in an SSR Caravan to Denison TX in October, and I could see him behind me for miles, whereas, other lights were not significant. Would someone on this site who has installed, and had no problems, please post part #'s or where to get the LED's for low beam? The stock bulbs are not adequate in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Using an Fluke IR meter, pointing straight down thru the lens and low beam onto the reflector.
@Dinerman ‘s standard bulbs. 135-140F
My 55w HIDs 100-105F.

I like my HIDs as they fill the projected area more, and are a whiter.

Both R’s were warming up and burping the coolant after new heater hoses. Both were running about 5-10m.

YMMV.

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
Here's the link to the H11 HID 55W Kensun light kit that I'm running on my SSR. You just need to pick 5000K color or 6000K color. Mine are 6000K and I like them.

https://www.amazon.com/Kensun-Conver...un+55w+hid+h11

These are the kits that JOSHVETTE was selling. I love my HID's
The link didn’t work....but found them after searching around. They look nice.

FWIW: My R has the Ultra HID 55w 5500K kit from DDM Tuning, and the ballasts are mounted using fender supports. I chose them as I’ve used their slim single ballasts in the headlight bucket of my Duc. Both setups were tidy and reliable.

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,275 Posts
Thanks Greg & Auggie for the cautionary words. -- :surprise:

This subject of (brighter) headlight replacement seems to come up every 6 months or so. I really appreciate Greg's input about "off road" replacements not being DOT compliant. That can be serious. >:)

Most of us can relate to being blinded while driving at night on a dark stretch of asphalt only to have some DA coming at you with illegally bright lights!! -- :evil: -- things can get ugly in a heartbeat. -- :crying:

==============
David :black:
View attachment 487770
Or a different DA (District Attorney) coming at you if you are involved in any incident while using illegal headlights on a public roadway....... 99.9% of the aftermarket HID's and LED's are not FMVSS 108 compliant because as Greg stated the SSR headlight assemblies were designed for incandescent bulbs and neither the HID nor LED have the filament in the correct position/orientation to avoid scattering light and blinding oncoming or traffic you are following. If your headlights are significantly throwing more illumination on street signs, especially overhead ones, then you are blinding other drivers you are supposed to be sharing the road with. Our dimished eyesight as we age is not an excuse to risk the safety of others........ I actually find the SSR headlights to be much better than some of the other vehicles I have driven at night on rural roadways.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Here is my 2 cents worth, and this is just from looking out of my eyes. As I get older the light coming in that gives my eyes a picture of whats in front of my mug, starts to dim a little bit every year so that my brain takes a little longer to process the information that it's receiving, which means that the picture arrives slower to me, much slower then I like to drive. So with that said, on a pitch dark road in the middle of who knows where the hell I am, I want as much light as I can throw out in front of me. I want to see what I'm about to hit or hopefully pass by before it happens. Me no like surprise's. I have been running the LED for the last 6 months and have yet to have anyone flash their brights at me to dim mine. Funny thing though, someone flashed my Tahoe the other night and it's 20 years old with original head lights that are faded and dim, they have a slight yellow cast to them. My lights are pointed down on the ground out in front of me, not blinding the other drivers, because that is very irritating, and I don't like it either. Alright, I'm taking my soap box and I'm calling it a knight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts