Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the first things I noticed about my R is the headlights are dismal at best. The bulbs that were in it when I got it were the typical H11 Halogen bulbs that come stock. They gave off a yellowish light but did little in lighting the way. So I had a few H11 LED bulbs in my garage that I had from previous installations. Although they gave off a brighter whiter light than the halogens, they too did little in the way of lighting up the roadway.

I just installed a pair Auxbeam F16 Plus bulbs and WOW, what a difference. These bulbs emit a nice bright white light with no distortion or shadows. They really light up the roadway. They have a distinct upper cut off line so they won't blind on coming traffic. The R's headlights are crappy from the git-go, but these Auxbeam F16 Plus bulbs are an AWESOME upgrade.......just sharing

Dano

·
Registered
49 Posts
That’s a much needed thing for me, too. I drive to work through the country every morning and can’t see squat if it is raining. Do you have to do any mods to make the LED’s work? Do they create enough heat to affect the plastic lenses? Thanks, Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That’s a much needed thing for me, too. I drive to work through the country every morning and can’t see squat if it is raining. Do you have to do any mods to make the LED’s work? Do they create enough heat to affect the plastic lenses? Thanks, Steve

These don't require any mods and work right out of the box. The have cooling fans to keep down the heat, I've been using this type of LED's for quite sometime in all my cars. Never had a heat problem.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you get one of these two that I can see on AMZN?

Yes the top pair is what I installed in the R. I have the bottom pair in my Buick Encore. I chose the plus (top pair) for the R because they're a tad brighter at 7000lm vs 6000lm for the non plus version, the R needs all the help it can get. Both the non plus and the plus are 6000k so they're a very light white. They have other H11's but they're 6500k and are too bluish for my liking.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes the top pair is what I installed in the R. I have the bottom pair in my Buick Encore. I chose the plus (top pair) for the R because they're a tad brighter at 7000lm vs 6000lm for the non plus version, the R needs all the help it can get. Both the non plus and the plus are 6000k so they're a very light white. They have other H11's but they're 6500k and are too bluish for my liking.
Oops, I meant Bright White, not Light White...LOL

·
Registered
49 Posts
Don’t buy the 9005’s in the top photo. They are the wrong mount type. Get H11 like the lower photo, in whatever brightness level and color temp you prefer. Steve

·
SSR Believer
602 Posts
Don’t buy the 9005’s in the top photo. They are the wrong mount type. Get H11 like the lower photo, in whatever brightness level and color temp you prefer. Steve

Thanks Steve! (y) I ended up buying the same type as in the top photo, but in the H11 size. Of course they were $3 more than the first time I looked, but at least they had a "coupon".

I don't do a lot of night driving, but agree that the stock R headlights leave a bit to be desired.

The LEDs should be here in a couple of days so I'll report back.

Screen Shot 2019-10-20 at 2.22.02 PM.JPG

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@dano, can you confirm that the Auxbeams are fully "plug and play" LEDs, with no additional resistors, etc. required? I think that's what you said earlier, but just wanted to be sure.

Also, that you're using the H11 size?

TIA!
Yes these are plug-n-play. Even works with canbus. and yes, they're H11 bulbs. Auxbeam F16 Plus to be exact.

·
Madtym
47 Posts
Put them on today - what a difference! Kind of tedious working in such a small space but not bad. Ran into one problem. On the right side I turned the wheel as far as it would go in order to get more clearance. Then turned the ignition off. When I went to test the light after installation, the key wouldn't turn. It was fighting the steering wheel lock. Had to put pressure on the steering wheel in order to turn the key.
I would definitely recommend these LED's.
Thanks Dano for doing the research.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Put them on today - what a difference! Kind of tedious working in such a small space but not bad. Ran into one problem. On the right side I turned the wheel as far as it would go in order to get more clearance. Then turned the ignition off. When I went to test the light after installation, the key wouldn't turn. It was fighting the steering wheel lock. Had to put pressure on the steering wheel in order to turn the key.
I would definitely recommend these LED's.
Thanks Dano for doing the research.
Glad they're working out for you. I love these bulbs.

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,705 Posts
Interested but little confused.
9005 is HIGH Beam, goes into lower socket,
H11 is LOW Beam goes into upper socket and is on "Daytime Running" light circuit.
So "heat" is a question.

Cooling fan??

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
H11 is LOW Beam goes into upper socket and is on "Daytime Running" light circuit.
So "heat" is a question.

Cooling fan??
Yes you're correct with regard to the bulb part numbers and locations. These bulbs do come with cooling fans and I've never had a problem with heat from any Auxbeam bulbs. The DRL's and low beams work as they should.

·
SSR Believer
602 Posts
Getting ready to put them in today or tomorrow. It's probably one of the last "warm" days before fall settles in here, so looking forward to a top-down night ride to see how they perform.

Haven't looked inside the fender yet, so maybe it's a no-brainer, but just wondering what you guys did with the little box (resistor?) that's attached to the light, if it's left to dangle or...? I have some 3M two-sided tape I could use to attach it to the body if needed.

TIA!

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So "heat" is a question.

Cooling fan??
Yes you're correct with regard to the bulb part numbers and locations. These bulbs do come with cooling fans and I've never had a problem with heat from any Auxbeam bulbs. The DRL's and low beams
Getting ready to put them in today or tomorrow. It's probably one of the last "warm" days before fall settles in here, so looking forward to a top-down night ride to see how they perform.

Haven't looked inside the fender yet, so maybe it's a no-brainer, but just wondering what you guys did with the little box (resistor?) that's attached to the light, if it's left to dangle or...? I have some 3M two-sided tape I could use to attach it to the body if needed.

TIA!
I just let the boxes dangle

1 - 20 of 67 Posts