Chevy SSR Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
I think you'll be pleased. A couple day's after I installed my F16 Plus bulbs I had to go to an early evening appoint which kept me out till after dark. The last time I went out that way I still had the halogen's installed and it was a scary ride back in the dark. But this time the roadway was very well lit up thanks to the F16's. This particular drive took me through a variety well lit to very dark roads and the entire drive home was a pleasure......I could SEE !!!
:unsure:

OK, I'm kinda convined to go with these new F16 Plus bulbs for my (low beam) lights.

As I understand it, they are LED.............which brings to me a HUGE question. It is in fact HALOGEN lights that are crazy hot. I've not known that LED lights give off any excessive heat whatsoever. How is that these lights need a "fan".

Once you explain that to me, my remaining question would be what exact bulb/LED, etc. did you go with for the High beams.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
@dano would have the answer that one.
I have Auxbeam F16 Plus in both my Low and High beams. But that's not really necessary. Just in the Low beams would be fine. I don't use High beams often enough to make the switch important. I just have them in both Low and High because as much trouble as I was having with my low beams I just ordered them both at the same time. But knowing what I know now, I would have just ordered the Low beam bulbs..

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,609 Posts
Devil's advocate here. I know it's been stated that these led light fans are reliable BUT what if you did have an led fan failure? Would the amount of heat generated from the led light without the fan working damage the R's headlight lens housing or would the bulb itself blow before any damage to the R's headlight lens housing? Locating and replacing a headlight lens housing can be quite expensive.

Dave

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
I’m looking forward to seeing @Curbsssr next weekend. Hopefully we’ll get the opportunity compare the LEDs to Elsie’s HIDs.

FWIW: The HIDs run a bit cooler than the incandescent/halogens, e.g. 15-20F and there are no fans. I’d have to go find my post on it to be super accurate as I did use an IR temp gun and several Rs and measurments to arrive at my conclusion. The HIDs heat is in the ballast, not the bulb, which I’ve mounted on the fender support. I’ve run them for years and they work fantastic. The DRLs sometime don’t quite have enough grunt for the igniters, and I haven’t bothered to disable them. I’ve been following this thread, and I did buy some LEDs for the high beams on my blue, but I stuck with the HIDs, albeit a newer version than Elsie’s.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Devil's advocate here. I know it's been stated that these led light fans are reliable BUT what if you did have an led fan failure? Would the amount of heat generated from the led light without the fan working damage the R's headlight lens housing or would the bulb itself blow before any damage to the R's headlight lens housing? Locating and replacing a headlight lens housing can be quite expensive.

Dave
I for one can't answer this question. I've been using Auxbeam bulbs for several years now and have never had a fan failure, nor have I had a bulb failure. I do know that they also make LED bulbs without a fan and instead have a heat sink. I guess only time will tell. But at the same time, I know that the original halogens produce quite a bit of heat.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
:unsure:

OK, I'm kinda convined to go with these new F16 Plus bulbs for my (low beam) lights.

As I understand it, they are LED.............which brings to me a HUGE question. It is in fact HALOGEN lights that are crazy hot. I've not known that LED lights give off any excessive heat whatsoever. How is that these lights need a "fan".

Once you explain that to me, my remaining question would be what exact bulb/LED, etc. did you go with for the High beams.:rolleyes:
Yes, halogen bulbs do get quite hot, on a halogen bulb it's actually the filament that produces the heat. It's not that LED's in and of itself gets hot, it's actually the circuitry that produces the heat. The heat sinks or fans are there to keep the heat of the circuitry from transferring to the LED's. (or something like that).

For Low beams I went with Auxbeam F16 plus 9005/HB3 bulbs.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts