Chevy SSR Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Pictures with the new zXe’s and the 880 yellow fog lights. Even though the fog lights are only 27 Watts, they really project. Regards. Bruce G. 2CE894DD-3FF7-441E-A2B3-CCE804440EE5.jpeg BE709A0E-63A2-442C-9654-779138C084DD.jpeg

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,365 Posts
Low beam headlamp
H11 (64211) Silverstar ZXE

High beam headlamp
9005XS (HB3A) Silverstar ZXE

Fog Lamps
880 Silverstar ZXE

Order from Amazon if you cant get locally
Greg
Hi Greg,

I agree with your choice of the ZXE for a “standard bulb of choice” for better headlights ..... however........ the ZXE 880 fog lamp has a straight plug bulb with a single latch on the one side of the connector. The SSR wiring harness has two latches on the ends of the connector. The connector will plug in, but you have to use black electrical tape around the connector and bulb end to secure it.... or you have to change the connector for the matching lock type.
The only ZXE that is offered for a direct replacement of the 37.5 watt 898 (with the 90 degree connector and the two locking tabs) is the 27 watt 881. Given this, I believe the better choice for the 27 watt ZXE is the 881....

Here’s a quick reference sheet for configuration and wattage specs.... http://www.candlepowerinc.com/pdfs/700_800.pdf

HOWEVER...... If you are willing to either replace the mating connector or be satisfied with using black electrical tape to secure the electrical connector on the bulb, I would really prefer to install the 37.5 watt ZXE 893. It is significantly brighter than the 27 watt 880 or 881.

My two cents,

Mike

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Thanks Mike. I was concerned about the proximity of the connector to the bottom of the bumper cover. I did not check about the locking tabs. :( It had the right prong receptacles and I plugged it in! How would a person go about obtaining mating connectors (2) for the ZXE 893? As I understand it, I could then (A) change the bulb to the 881 or (B) connectors and bulb to the 893. Regards. Bruce G.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,365 Posts
Thanks Mike. I was concerned about the proximity of the connector to the bottom of the bumper cover. I did not check about the locking tabs. :( It had the right prong receptacles and I plugged it in! How would a person go about obtaining mating connectors (2) for the ZXE 893? As I understand it, I could then (A) change the bulb to the 881 or (B) connectors and bulb to the 893. Regards. Bruce G.
You could take the 893 to a chevy dealer and get them to order up a pair of repair harnesses that you can splice in. They are carried by AC Delco as well. Maybe NAPA would have them too......

I've been running 893's for years with the connector secured by electrical tape. Doesn't phase me at all. Not ashamed of it either.......

Mike

·
BAD BOW TIE
8,608 Posts
Is there a light that makes the front turn signals brighter
Contact joshvette on this forum. He has done a lot of research on all the lights
being switched over to LED. Much brighter and cooler and longer lasting. They do require a different flasher and should be changed front and back together. He has all the info and sells it as a kit with instructions etc. I did my whole SSR inside and out and it is awesome. Even the back up lights are like headlights now. Check him out.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I did my entire lights last week and tonight was the first time I went any distance at night. It was well worth changing the lights. Fronts went with the H11 ZXEs went with all the LED kit. The back up lights are the best. I also found I should have been checking my lights better when I swapped them I found 3 marker lights had been out and one license plate light was out.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts