Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
SSR Believer
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our right rear turn signal light stopped working (sort of) and I suspect it just needs replacing, but it's acting a little odd so I wanted to double-check before ordering. Here are the symptoms:

• Headlights off: RR turn signal light does not flash.
  • Headlights on: RR turn signal light flashes, but kind of flickers now and then (why I said "sort of").
  • Headlights on: RR and LR taillights working normally.
  • Headlights on or off: front, Muth Mirror and dash turn signal lights all flash normally for both right and left turn signals.
  • Headlights off: RR brake light does not work. RR turn signal light does not work. LR brake light works. LR turn signal light works.
  • Headlights on: RR and LR brake lights work. RR and LR turn signal lights work.
  • Headlights off/Hazard flasher on: RR taillight does not work. LR taillight flashes. Intensity appears normal ("brake light bright")
  • Headlights on/Hazard flasher on: RR taillight flashes. LR taillight flashes. Intensity appears normal ("brake light bright") RR and LR regular taillights work.
The original owner (Terry Saxlund) replaced the taillights with V-LEDS 3157_92_R bulbs back in 2012. It looks like he added 6 Ohm Light Bulb Load Equalizers from LEDLight.com to compensate for the LEDs. I replaced the lighting control module (turn signal flasher) with the recommended Novita LM487 due to the rapid flash issue back in April. I replaced the low beam headlights with Auxbeam H11 LED Headlight Bulbs F-16 back in October and they've been working fine.

Everything's been working normally until now. So again, I'm guessing that I just need to replace the faulty LED light (I'll replace both - when one goes, the other probably won't be far behind), but I wanted to check with the experts first.

If it is just a matter of replacing the bulb(s), would the same light still be recommended or is there another (from any company) that's considered a better option now?

TIA!

EDIT: Added the new data points from the posts below.

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
The rear turn signals are fed from a different circuit of the flasher module.
The rear turn is aldo the brake light.
So check brake light operation. Might require broom stick if your by yourself
Also before ordering new bulb try swapping right and left rear bulbs if problem moves it is the bulb if problem stays try cleaning connections on socket ( be sure theyt are off for this or may blow a fuse).
If totally inop when moving bulbs you may have bulb backwards.

·
SSR Believer
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rear turn signals are fed from a different circuit of the flasher module.
The rear turn is also the brake light.
So check brake light operation. Might require broom stick if your by yourself
Also before ordering new bulb try swapping right and left rear bulbs if problem moves it is the bulb if problem stays try cleaning connections on socket ( be sure theyt are off for this or may blow a fuse).
If totally inop when moving bulbs you may have bulb backwards.
Thanks for that, good advice. (y) Results:
  • Headlights off: RR brake light does not work. RR turn signal light does not work. LR brake light works. LR turn signal light works.
  • Headlights on: RR and LR brake lights work. RR and LR turn signal lights work.
With the headlights on I noticed the same slight flicker in the RR brake light initially as happens with the RR turn signal light.

I should have mentioned that the third/center brake light works under all circumstances.

I will swap out the bulbs and report back ASAP.

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
Also when checking turn signals use hazards. Same wiring, conections and bulb filaments as turn signals from flasher module. This allows you to compare left and right for intensity differences. May not be much more help this eve. I am at my wifes company Christmas party and i will get the stink eye if on phone too much.

·
BlueStreak
27,160 Posts
Might want to be sure and check the Ground on the right side as it may be good for solid current but not so much for the intermittent current. When headlights are on the tail light uses the same ground so it would then be conducting all the time.

·
SSR Believer
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also when checking turn signals use hazards. Same wiring, connections and bulb filaments as turn signals from flasher module. This allows you to compare left and right for intensity differences. May not be much more help this eve. I am at my wife's company Christmas party and i will get the stink eye if on phone too much.
Additional data points:
  • Headlights off/Hazard flasher on: RR taillight does not work. LR taillight flashes. Intensity appears normal ("brake light bright")
  • Headlights on/Hazard flasher on: RR taillight flashes. LR taillight flashes. Intensity appears normal ("brake light bright") RR and LR regular taillights work.
Ha! This is NOT mission critical, so enjoy the party! 🎉

Thanks for the help, much appreciated!

·
SSR Believer
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Might want to be sure and check the Ground on the right side as it may be good for solid current but not so much for the intermittent current. When headlights are on the tail light uses the same ground so it would then be conducting all the time.
Will do. (y)

I was/am a bit confused about why the headlights being turned on caused the turn signal to work.

Worst case I can just turn the headlights on if I have to drive before it gets fixed.

Thanks!

·
SSR Believer
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Solved

Success! (I guess). Was finally able to temporarily stop wrapping packages 🎁 (while the wife's away) long enough to crawl under the R and swap out the lights. Both sides are working normally now under all of the circumstances above.

@BlueStreak, it looks like it might have been a slight short after all. Both right and left tail, turn signal and brake lights are acting completley normally now. 👍 I checked all of the wires and they all look to be in good shape. The inline resistor is exposed so that the heatsink can do its job, but all of the wiring is taped up nice and tight otherwise.

@Autoprof, I should have tried the easiest, autoshop 101 diagnostic and swapped out the lights first thing. D'oh. 😑 Please extend my apologies to your lovely wife and have the bartender put your next drinks on my tab. 🍻 😉

Thanks so much!

·
BlueStreak
27,160 Posts
Solved

Success! (I guess). Was finally able to temporarily stop wrapping packages 🎁 (while the wife's away) long enough to crawl under the R and swap out the lights. Both sides are working normally now under all of the circumstances above.

@BlueStreak, it looks like it might have been a slight short after all. Both right and left tail, turn signal and brake lights are acting completley normally now. 👍 I checked all of the wires and they all look to be in good shape. The inline resistor is exposed so that the heatsink can do its job, but all of the wiring is taped up nice and tight otherwise.

@Autoprof, I should have tried the easiest, autoshop 101 diagnostic and swapped out the lights first thing. D'oh. 😑 Please extend my apologies to your lovely wife and have the bartender put your next drinks on my tab. 🍻 😉

Thanks so much!
We are just here to make suggestions. You have to do the work and let us know how it turns out.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,141 Posts
Great job, thanks for posting up date.
Probably somewhat loose connection in socket. Removing and reinstalling cleaned it up. You might consider some bulb or dielectric grease on bulbs next time you crawl under to do dome maintenance. It will prevent dirt and water from infiltrating contacts and causing a problem.

Again great job.
Oh it was a great meal at a Brazilian steakhouse. Drink not necessary, marie works in HR Dept. and had a few extra drink tickets.
Home watching golf now!

·
SSR Believer
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Great job, thanks for posting up date.
Probably somewhat loose connection in socket. Removing and reinstalling cleaned it up. You might consider some bulb or dielectric grease on bulbs next time you crawl under to do some maintenance. It will prevent dirt and water from infiltrating contacts and causing a problem.

Again great job.
Oh it was a great meal at a Brazilian steakhouse. Drink not necessary, marie works in HR Dept. and had a few extra drink tickets.
Home watching golf now!
Should have thought of the dielectric grease... I have an almost new tube on the shelf. Fairly easy to get to the taillights (especially compared to some other parts) so I’ll tackle that tomorrow. 👍

Glad the party was tasty and fun!

BTW, the next time you’ve nothing to do, I’m still curious as to why the turn signal, brake and hazard lights would work when the headlights were on, and not when they weren’t. I know it must have something to do with how the circuitry works, but I’m still confused. 🤔 Is it an SSR thing? I’ve never run into that on other cars. TIA!

Merry Christmas! 🎄

·
SSR Believer
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No rain today so I opened the garage door and slid back under the R’s backend and popped out the taillights again. Got out my trusty CRC Contact Cleaner and gave both sockets a good spray. Let them dry while I removed and replaced a little electrical tape on the license plate harness that was looking sad. Added some dielectric grease to the LED taillight bulb contacts and put it all back together. Tested everything out and all is right with the world once more. 😎

I think I should also buy some lottery tickets now. There’s always a 50/50 chance of getting LEDs in backwards, but not this time. First time was the charm for both! 🍀

Thanks again to everyone! 🙏

1 - 15 of 15 Posts