Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Fanatics: This is a FYI notice to all who installed LED Tail Lites from VLEDS>com. I was coming home from a car show tuesday early evening and a guy pulled up along side me and told me my drivers side tail & brake lite were out! Sure enough,after checking all the fuses that are connected to a possible blown fuse scenario I determined or suspected the LED lamp burned out?! So the next morning I called the company and spoke to Ely there at VLEDS.com,he seemed to be very well familar with our SSR's and the location of the two fuse boxes etc. He told me I most likely had a electrical spike and melted the LED lamp. Here is what you need to know: They as of this January 2013, have updated the tail lamps with built in resistors that hopefully will prevent this type of scenario from happening. I got the new pair the next day as they are located in Bellingham ,Washington. I put them in in ten minutes,he also reminded me that they are still polarity sensitive so if one lamp doesn't lite,simply reverse in the socket and all is fine! That is exactly what happened and I did as instructed and all is working beautifully again! The new lamp part # is 3157-21-R, $50.00 a pair. They carry a year warranty I had mine two years so he couldn't make a replacement at no charge. I was ok with that,especially knowing the new ones were equipped with built in resistors. Thats'it fanatics, a VLEDS.com Update for all that have them in their "R"s. I may have been late to this party of information,many of you might already be aware of the info I just posted,never hurts to be re notified for those who may have missed a prior bulletin. :) :yellow:

PSPS; I went ahead and Ordered the LM486 flasher from the same company I got the LM487 flasher from:http://www.ledlight.com/lm486_electronic_flasher_relay_led_12_volt.aspx

I never use cruise control,so maybe that's why I never had a issue before now with the LM487 flasher?
Better to be safe than sorry would be my advice at this point. IMO. :) Thanks Dicktator for your good response to my question! :)

Hello, Hal
Thank you for your order from VLEDS.COM. You can check the status of your order by logging into your account. If you have any questions about your order please contact us at [email protected] or call us at 360.543.5700 Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm PST.

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,642 Posts
Does that mean that we can use the regular flasher???
NO! MUST change flasher too.

I suggest the NEW Tridon Flasher, LM487 by NOVITA which has been updated to be more sensitive to the LED's.

I changed my LED to the NEW 3157_21_R.

VERY BRIGHT!

Dicktator

1. 3157_21_R - 3157 size - 21 is Number of LED - R Color RED.
2. LM-487 Flasher
3. Package
4. Drivers side, 3157_21_R Passengers side, my OLD 92 LED Bulb.
5. Pretty dam bright!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sandy>>

Sandy: I would just email them,Attn: Ely, and request replacement LED 3157-21-R pair Pkg. Dicktator 's got me thinking, I only have the rear LED's so I wonder if the old LM487 flasher will suffice for now? If I choose to R & R
other bulbs to LED's I would think a new flasher would be necessary?!

Maybe,Dick could answer this question? Hal

·
Daily Driver
8,777 Posts
The sucess, or not, of the LM487 has been all over the ball park. Novita developed the LM486 for the...
2002-2007 Buick Rendezous. 2004-2007 Buick Rainier. 2003-2006 Chevrolet SSR. 2002-2009 Chevrolet Trailblazer. 2002-2009 GMC Envoy. 2003-2006 Isuzu Ascender. 2002-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada. 2001-2005 Potiac Aztek. 2005-2009 Saab 9-7X.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
Where would one get this LM486???

I have the LM487 and it works fine for the turnsignals but, when you have the cruise on and signal a lane change, cruise drops off. The cruise also drops off if you turn on the head lights?????

There are no fault codes or anything. Everything looks perfect to the GM people???

·
One Owner Club
348 Posts
add more info

Where would one get this LM486???

I have the LM487 and it works fine for the turnsignals but, when you have the cruise on and signal a lane change, cruise drops off. The cruise also drops off if you turn on the head lights?????

There are no fault codes or anything. Everything looks perfect to the GM people???
Yup, You need the new LM 486 LM486? | Novita Technologies I tested the first one released to the public I see Autozone has them for $50 Here's more info http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/revised-tridon-lcm-test-58206/

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,642 Posts
Sandy: I would just email them,Attn: Ely, and request replacement LED 3157-21-R pair Pkg. Dicktator 's got me thinking, I only have the rear LED's so I wonder if the old LM487 flasher will suffice for now? If I choose to R & R

OK, here is what little I know about the LED's.

I had a NAPA LM487 w/92 LED bulbs from VLED and it didn't work to well.

Upgraded to the NEW Tridon LM487 with 92 LED bulbs worked fine.

VLED stopped making the 92 LED's, I had one go bad. They sent the 21_R bulb and claimed it was brighter than the 92 bulbs, THEY ARE!

I added Park/Turn signals LED's, they would not work with out resisters. They too, are 21 Amber LED's.

I have a, "How To" Thread on Tech Discussion for install of Park/Turn Signals. Tried to get the Site Staff to make it a Sticky but they won't.

I suspect that the difference between the performance of the LM487 and the LM486 maybe caused by the difference in SSR Software.

Our 03/04, mine is 04, has 350 times LESS software than the 05/06 and the 06 software is different is some areas from the 05. Go figure.

I notice that the LM486 works best or better on 05/06 than the LM487.

I would think LM486 would be the choice for ALL SSR's, 03/06.

I am not changing my LM487 in my 04 and don't think anyone who has an 03/04 should have to change either.

I don't know if the LM486 will allow you to install Park/Turn Signals without resisters, I expect not.

Dicktator

1. Parking Light
2. LED & Resistors in series/parallel on turn circuit.
3. 3M tape holds resistors on shelf
4. Passengers side OEM bulb, Drivers side LED
5. LED Park/Turn Signals

Attachments

·
Daily Driver
8,777 Posts
Triton made the LM487, then the name was copied by different vendors. So when Triton developed the LM486 for the SSR, they copyrighted the name. Ask for an LM486 and it will be a Triton.

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,642 Posts
Triton made the LM487, then the name was copied by different vendors. So when Triton developed the LM486 for the SSR, they copyrighted the name. Ask for an LM486 and it will be a Triton.
So, from what you say, the Tridon by Novita LM487 is the same as the Tridon LM486. Just a Copyright change.

And as long as you ask for Tridon, your good!

I have 5 Tridon LM487 in stock along with the VLED 3157_21_R tail lights.

Have used them in ALL year SSR, 03/06 and the Tridon LM487, as you say, works fine.

Dicktator

Attachments

·
Daily Driver
8,777 Posts
No, the LM-486 in NOT the same as the LM-487. The copyright means no one else can make the LM-486, unlike the LM-487 which can and is made by anyone.

The LM-487 worked for many people, but for many including myself it did not. Some had problems with the cruise control, some had weird things going on.
The LM-486 works properly for ALL SSRs.

·
Premium Member
50,205 Posts
One point to remember. LED's are excited by less than 2, Volts. Normally 1.5 Volts. So there is, and has to be a Dropping Voltage Resistor. Otherwise, LEDS would burn out as soon as you Excite them with 12,VDC.

Chances are, a new Voltage Spike Resistor or Varac/Triac has been installed in Parallel across the Negative and Positive, input Leads. This would help, Arrest any Spikes; in Current or Voltage. Look at the Schematic of the new LED's. This will tell you, what they have done. Hopefully they have improved, the Life Span; of the LED's.

·
it's 5 o'clock somewhere!
16,258 Posts

I popped in yesterday and met Ely. Bought the 3157-21-R pair.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts