Chevy SSR Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
The base TCM is a computer that is used with many GM platforms. It needs to know what engine, transmission and what the final drive gear ratio it is trying to control. Theoretically another TCM from any 2WD 6.0 liter with same trans and gear ratio should work. However when buying used you may not know exactly what it was programmed for.
See this thread for more info and experience.
Also the reason TCM and ECM need to be sent out for reprogramming for performance or a gear swap, if they have proper equipment to modify factory tune. With proper equipment and a subscription, downloading the factory tune is not to difficult.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
I determined TCM by reading past posts in this forum, and from which I also discovered that the TCM required coding to the SSR. At the time this failure occurred I was staying in a hotel out of state for work ... so didn't want to take the chance buying a pre-coded TCM and waiting a week for delivery ... I needed the SSR as it was my only transportation. I took it to a high-end dealership, explained the symptoms, and told them I believe it needed a TCM. Two days later later the dealership calls to tell me "we determined you need a new TCM". The TCM itself is an easy to swap part, but having it coded is something I can't do. Haven't had an issue since the new one went in 2 years ago.

·
Premium Member
917 Posts
SSRXLR, I failed to mention that, besides reading this forum, I also called Dicktator who advised that the TCM was the likely culprit. TCM issues do not get better, they get worse over time. The transmission indicating D to P and the door locks jumping up/down while driving, got progressively more frequent. At first, it was only once or twice during a 15-minute drive; but right before I took it to the dealership, the door locks would jump up/down 10-to-15 times within just a few seconds. All indicators (ABS, check brakes, check engine, limp mode, DIC indicator, etc) disappeared once the new TCM was installed.

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
The base TCM is a computer that is used with many GM platforms. It needs to know what engine, transmission and what the final drive gear ratio it is trying to control. Theoretically another TCM from any 2WD 6.0 liter with same trans and gear ratio should work. However when buying used you may not know exactly what it was programmed for.
See this thread for more info and experience.
Also the reason TCM and ECM need to be sent out for reprogramming for performance or a gear swap, if they have proper equipment to modify factory tune. With proper equipment and a subscription, downloading the factory tune is not to difficult.
:unsure: "The base TCM is a computer that is used with many GM platforms. It needs to know what engine, transmission and what the final drive gear ratio it is trying to control. "

Looking to clear up some confusion as to ECM versus TCM , etc. I run with a six speed. We have pages and pages of postings regarding my gear swap as well as others. Am I correct that I do NOT have a TCM and that only applies to the automatics. At no time has there been any "re-programing" done to my SSR after the gear swap other than the speedo corrections as described altering the speed sensor.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
932 Posts
:unsure: "The base TCM is a computer that is used with many GM platforms. It needs to know what engine, transmission and what the final drive gear ratio it is trying to control. "

Looking to clear up some confusion as to ECM versus TCM , etc. I run with a six speed. We have pages and pages of postings regarding my gear swap as well as others. Am I correct that I do NOT have a TCM and that only applies to the automatics. At no time has there been any "re-programing" done to my SSR after the gear swap other than the speedo corrections as described altering the speed sensor.:rolleyes:
Take a look at your shifter surround. You’ll notice there is a missing button that is present on the automatics.

[Edit]. The automatics default to the traction control “on”. The traction control automatically turns off when the transmission is manually shifted into 1st. They also automatically switch the traction control off around 92/93, and automatically back on when coming down to 98. Further, the traction control actually decreases some of the line pressures under normal operating conditions and of course it chops off the throttle hard when it figures something is going awry. I recall after getting the transmission built by Greg, him telling me to go back out with the TC off and tell me what I thought, even more wow. There have also been discussions/polls in the past about folks driving with the TC on/off. Even further, the engine computer has some power taken out of it somewhere in the curve to help the automatic driveline hang together, which is also present in the 6spd trucks. Tunes done by Joe take this into account as well.

FWIW: The automatic rear end seems to lockup pretty quick in comparison to the 6spd rear end. This can lead to the rear snapping around pretty quick in a corner if the conditions are right and the TCM tries to help out here too.

·
Registered
2006 SSR
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
SSRXLR, I failed to mention that, besides reading this forum, I also called Dicktator who advised that the TCM was the likely culprit. TCM issues do not get better, they get worse over time. The transmission indicating D to P and the door locks jumping up/down while driving, got progressively more frequent. At first, it was only once or twice during a 15-minute drive; but right before I took it to the dealership, the door locks would jump up/down 10-to-15 times within just a few seconds. All indicators (ABS, check brakes, check engine, limp mode, DIC indicator, etc) disappeared once the new TCM was installed.
I agree, the issues keep getting worse. First just the ABS, TC, and check brake system. Then engine power was down, top stopped working. Later the speedometer stopped working, and just this last weekend the door locks became possessed and the gearshift indicator showed I was in 1st gear, while I was in Drive. I still haven't tested my TCM or it's connectors, but I'll probably end up replacing the TCM. By the way, it seems most places only show a refurbished unit for around $80 to $100 (new ones seems to be out of stock wherever I looked). I did find a place (Highway71autoparts) that refurbishes and programs the unit to my VIN for $64.96 shipped. Seems almost to good to be true.
I'll keep you all posted on my progress.
Thanks Again!
Pete

·
Registered
2006 SSR
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Good Read! I never even thought about the TCM as the culprit until seeing your helpful posts and then seeing my door locks going crazy this weekend. Your symptoms are exactly like mine. I am hoping I can find some shop local in Dallas who refurbishes and flashes TCMs, otherwise I'll have to order online.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts