Chevy SSR Forum banner

Legitimate mechanical defect or not?

3K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  wingrider 
#1 ·
For starters I have an 04' SSR with a carpetted trunk & deck lid with a spoiler on top.

The problem I've been having is this: When ever I pop the trunk with the remote or thru the glove compartment release, the lid pops only a measly eighth of an inch. I then have to open the rear lid by grasping the spoiler and lifting it open until I could get my hand underneath to lift it the rest of the way.
I have seen other SSRs' with fully retracting lids, when openned, and wonder why mine can't do the same.

Any thoughts?

#3 ·
Do you have the carpeted lid? If so, the additional weight of the carpeting, plus the spoiler would be significantly greater than the lid on the base truck.

Ray

#4 · (Edited)
I do have the carpetted lid, which probably does add a couple extra pounds. The thing is though for the price I paid for the car, I feel that Chevy should have compensated for the added weight with stronger hydraulics for the lid release in the cars with added weight from trunk carpetting.
I can't lift the trunk by the spoiler anymore either because the dealer used an adhesive to attach it to the rear lid, which is now getting weakened by the poor method in which the dealership mechanics put it on. It's already fallen off the car once already, probably only a matter of time before it happens again.

#5 ·
Rollex: 2 points:

1. The decklid not rising enough when released is a documented problem that Chevrolet doesnot seem to have yet solved. You should take your SSR in to your dealer with this noted as the complaint on the formal written up service order, so that there is a record of the problem once a fix has been developed and implemented by Chevrolet. By the way, the problem is worse when the ambient temperature is cold.

2. The spolier falling off is an unacceptable and dangerous defect. What if it falls off when you are trveling at highway speed, and hits a vehilce behind you and damages it, or worse injures or kills someone? If you reallywant the spoiler, have it mounted via stainless steel hardware. Adhesive has clearly proven to be inadequate as a means of mounting. Once you point out the potential liabiluty to the DEALER, via a written service order complaint, his insurance concerns will ensure that he does the install properly OR gives you a refund for the spoiler.

Jim G

#6 ·
Ditto!

JimGnitecki said:

1. The decklid not rising enough when released is a documented problem that Chevrolet doesnot seem to have yet solved. You should take your SSR in to your dealer with this noted as the complaint on the formal written up service order, so that there is a record of the problem once a fix has been developed and implemented by Chevrolet. By the way, the problem is worse when the ambient temperature is cold.

2. The spolier falling off is an unacceptable and dangerous defect. What if it falls off when you are trveling at highway speed, and hits a vehilce behind you and damages it, or worse injures or kills someone? If you reallywant the spoiler, have it mounted via stainless steel hardware. Adhesive has clearly proven to be inadequate as a means of mounting. Once you point out the potential liabiluty to the DEALER, via a written service order complaint, his insurance concerns will ensure that he does the install properly OR gives you a refund for the spoiler.

Jim G
:agree Right On Jim!.....Would hate to hear an SSR caused injury or worse to someone!

#7 ·
JimGnitecki said:

1. The decklid not rising enough when released is a documented problem that Chevrolet doesnot seem to have yet solved.

2. The spolier falling off is an unacceptable and dangerous defect.

Jim G
Jim is correct on both counts.

I believe Chevrolet should have used a stronger pressurized lift strut for the rear cargo lid. (there are many older threads dealing with this issue) As far as the spoiler is concerned it is an after market and obliviously not attached correctly. Tell the dealer that he has to be installed correctly even though it may have been traded in that way the dealer is still responsible for any accessories that are attached to the vehicle.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

#13 ·
At first mine would only open about an 8th of an inch, it was hard to get my fingers in to open it. Now that I've had it for a while, it is opening more and is getting easier to open.

I don't find it to be a problem.

To me, it is more annoying that you have to open the tailgate in order to close the tonneau.

Even that is not a big deal in the overall scheme of things.

#14 ·
Here is where I currently am with this problem:

I have taken the car to two different authorized Chevrolet service departments, including the one where I purchased the SSR. They have worked on it two times total, and failed to produce results. They don't have a way to, or are unwilling to invest in strengthening the rear lid hydraulics. And as for the spoiler, they said they've used a stronger adhesive since the last time it fell off. The thing with the "stronger" adhesive is that I can see spoiler actually wiggeling just a bit when I tried to lift a few inches last time to open the trunk. I'm going in for a third time to see what, if anything they can or will do.
It's just beginning to become a bit of a hassle having to drive all the way to a dealership service center that has already struck out twice. I'm thinking that I may have to end up removing the spoiler. I don't want to but I'm not being left with many options.

#16 ·
The Z06 has the same problem... and it hasn't really been fixed in years.

I have read several "fixes" that may or may not apply to the SSR, but I'll throw them out there in case they haven't been mentioned in previous threads.

1) The Vette has two rubber stops on the truck that screw into the rear of the car. By backing these out several turns, they provide more force against the shut trunk thus provide some more "popping" power when the truck is popped.

2) WD-40 on the lock, hinges has been reported to help.

3) And finally, in the Vette, you can pop the trunk, then shut the door and the air pressure will pop up the trunk.

Jim's advice above was sound. I always document my car's problems with the dealer for the reasons he mentioned. :cheers

#17 · (Edited)
dohyatt said:
your spoiler is adding to the problem and on that you cannot blame GM because it is not a factory part

I feel though that the dealership is at fault since they put that spoiler on the car themselves and sold it that way. It was their choice and methods used in applying it to the car too.

Thanks all for the advice and troubleshooting tips. I'll let you all know what happens :flag

#18 ·
JimGnitecki said:

Jim G

I have pointed out the dangers of the loosening spoiler to them, but they still feel that a new adhesive they'll be applying will take care of the problem.

#19 ·
Rollex: Ask the dealer to put IN WRITING that they will indemnify you against any claims that result from damage or injury as a result of the spoiler coming loose. If they won't do it, tell them they have a choice:

1. YOU will write a letter to THEM saying that you will hold them financially responsible due to their negligent behavior in not fixing a problem that is NOWN to exist (the spoiler already came off once), and that you will send it via registered mail to their general manager so that they cannot claim they never got it.

2. They take the spolier off the vehicle and compensate you for the value of it, since it was part of the deal when you bought it.

Something as dangerous as this is NOT something their attorney will want to fool around with.

Jim G

#20 ·
JimGnitecki said:
Rollex: Ask the dealer to put IN WRITING that they will indemnify you against any claims that result from damage or injury as a result of the spoiler coming loose. If they won't do it, tell them they have a choice:

1. YOU will write a letter to THEM saying that you will hold them financially responsible due to their negligent behavior in not fixing a problem that is NOWN to exist (the spoiler already came off once), and that you will send it via registered mail to their general manager so that they cannot claim they never got it.

2. They take the spolier off the vehicle and compensate you for the value of it, since it was part of the deal when you bought it.

Something as dangerous as this is NOT something their attorney will want to fool around with.

Jim G
I'll be discussing this aspect with them for sure. The last thing I want is for that spoiler to peel off the car when I'm at highway speeds. I just spoke with the man handeling the overseeing of the upcoming meeting/repair session. He told me they may have another method or two they'll try when reapplying/affixing the spoiler on permanently.

#22 ·
beer100 said:
:reddevil Knowing that the wing will be used as a handle, and having the issue of the wing detaching, I'd either require you let me install screws thru the cargo cover, or at your option remove it.
Bolting/screwing does seem the best option for a spoiler. Not sure why they went with adhesive in the first place.

#24 ·
You really have a problem and it is all associated with the spoiler. There probably are no gas struts that will lift the lid with a spoiler attached. Therefore, the spoiler needs to be mechanically fastened so you can use it as a handle. The struts should hold the lid up even with the spoiler attached.

#25 · (Edited)
Correct......

freezer said:
You really have a problem and it is all associated with the spoiler. There probably are no gas struts that will lift the lid with a spoiler attached. Therefore, the spoiler needs to be mechanically fastened so you can use it as a handle. The struts should hold the lid up even with the spoiler attached.
....******This is correct.......but I guess the maker of the spoiler might have recomended this methoed of installation.....which is bad.......Now if they had gotten the right kind of spoiler to start with......there would have been no problem.......Now why did I say that.......Maybe it's because my spoilers are installed with stainless steel harware.......and are very simple to do......:seeya

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.