Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had two of them today! Great topless weather here in East Texas today. I took a 200 mile round trip (business trip - yeah, right) late afternoon and early evening. Clipping along at 70 watched a truck turn left onto a country road; there was a new Dodge truck stopped and waiting to enter the two lane. I was watching him and sure enough he started pullling out as soon as the truck that I was following exited the roadway. I hit 'em hard; the rear locked up and the back started coming to my right. About that instant he saw me and stopped midway of the left hand lane so I could then jump off the brake. :cuss Said a couple dirty words, but pants were still clean. The locking and coming around concerns me. It was my first panic stop, but I plan to do a couple more on a deserted roadway. I need to know how to handle this booger.

Then just after dark on a narrow street a pickup coming to meet me puts me in the grass with the right tires while he takes his half right outta the middle! Said a couple more choice phrases :cuss (pants still clean) and put it in the garage and shut the door. Checked pants just to be sure. :thumbs

Losing the rear rubber from sliding is not exactly the way I intended to rub it off! :jester

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think you need a day of rest after that one :)

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Locked up rear

Locked up rear (no pun intended, if you wre checking your pants again):

Would this mean that your ABS did not work?

(And for those who want to know the how's and why's of ABS, here a link:
http://www.abs-education.org/ )

·
Registered
168 Posts
Side slide?

You mention the "back coming...right". Were you in a slight turn when you hit the brakes? The ABS might not be the issue, if the tires were screaming sideways (ala "Revolutions" ad where the SSR reverses onto the transporter).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts