Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My door locks have not worked correctly for the year and a half I have had my 05. The drivers door works fine but the passenger door does crazy stuff. When the passenger tries to exit and pulls the handle the door will lock, when they release the handle the door will unlock. After two or three tries they may be able to get out. Sometimes not so and I have to go round and open the door from the outside. I have it programed so that the door should unlock when I put the truck in park.. and it does... but relocks, the passenger door only, if you try to open it from the inside (not the outside). If you have been there and done that to fix it I would like to hear from you.

I inappropriately brought this up yesterday on someone else's thread and apologise for intruding on it. So starting over correctly with this thread.

·
Premium Member
2,984 Posts
I replied to your previous post.
I am thinking something in door lock module or wiring. But I posted a question.
Does the indexing feature on that door work properly from inside or outside door handles.
Basically if window is up when RDM see a signal from either the inside or outside door handle it drops window slightly.
Does this work on passenger or drivers door?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will make sure tomorrow as I did not look for indexing. At this moment I don't think, when it is locking as passenger tries handle, the window is indexing. But could be wrong.
Locking and indexing work perfectly on drivers door. I am thinking indexing works fine on passenger door also. I believe the door relocks when passenger pulls handle so it does not index. I hope this info helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got a similar issue, figured I'd post here instead of starting a new thread as they might be related.

The power locks on my driver's side only are not working properly. The passenger's side works fine, and window indexing on both doors is performing as expected.

The lock behavior on the driver's side is:

Will NOT unlock with fob or console button
Locks automatically when driving
When locked, knob only descends partway

This issue started happening right around the time my RDM got torched, which has since been replaced. All other functions are working fine, it's just the driver's side door locks that are messed up.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,470 Posts
I've got a similar issue, figured I'd post here instead of starting a new thread as they might be related.

The power locks on my driver's side only are not working properly. The passenger's side works fine, and window indexing on both doors is performing as expected.

This issue started happening right around the time my RDM got torched, which has since been replaced. All other functions are working fine, it's just the driver's side door locks that are messed up.
What happened to the RDM? It sounds like some wiring may have been damaged in the process, or maybe some damage to the lock motor, but that is just a guess.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,499 Posts
BrianSD, I understand your thinking about another thread but,----It really is best to have your own thread especially since you had a different problem to begin with. Now this will include comments about the RDM. Just my thinking.

Nick

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,323 Posts
My door locks have not worked correctly for the year and a half I have had my 05. The drivers door works fine but the passenger door does crazy stuff. When the passenger tries to exit and pulls the handle the door will lock, when they release the handle the door will unlock. After two or three tries they may be able to get out. Sometimes not so and I have to go round and open the door from the outside. I have it programed so that the door should unlock when I put the truck in park.. and it does... but relocks, the passenger door only, if you try to open it from the inside (not the outside). If you have been there and done that to fix it I would like to hear from you.

I inappropriately brought this up yesterday on someone else's thread and apologise for intruding on it. So starting over correctly with this thread.
See below, more than likely it is the same problem, a weak motor that pulls the unlock function weakly but when you pull the handle it senses it is in a mid position and then relocks itself. When the lock is past the halfway unlock position the door will unlock with handle. In time I would suspect that it will get worse and not unlock at all.

Most likely the problem is the the electric motor in the lock housing that unlocks and locks the unit. Sounds like it is weak and wearing out, a common issue due to corrosion and time.

You can see a diagram here of the unit, the electric motor is on section labeled 1 and can be replaced. I swap them out for $20 plus return shipping. Not a hard repair, but you will need to cut open the case and reseal it.
https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/door-lock-window-indexing-issue-repair-157210/

A huge majority of lock issues are related to weak motors and corrosion, all of which can be repaired. But if needed, there are some new parts still out there.

More info, I do not use WD40 as stated here, I use waterproof silicone which lasts longer and seals things -
https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/door-latch-lock-module-pictures-211985/
and
https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5...embly-repacement-repair-problem-parts-231858/

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
1,002 Posts

penny pincher, my experience with the passenger door sounds similar to yours. A few specifics on mine to be sure that I am not misunderstanding what you state above:
On mine,
1. When the passenger door would NOT open when the passenger door handle is pulled, the passenger door lock did NOT fully extend upward when the door unlock switch on the center console was pressed. It only extended upward about 1/2 the distance it should have. When the door handle was pulled, the 1/2-way up lock knob would jump back down to the locked position.
2. I noticed that the passenger door handle sometimes did NOT fully reseat into alignment with the door pull handle. It was sticking about 1/4 to 1/2-inch away from the door. If I had trouble unlocking the door with the console switch or opening the door from the outside, I had to push the inside handle to its fully seated position.
3. I had already installed Dicktator's door handle fix due to a broken plastic handle pin retainer on the black plastic handle cup assembly.
4. Items 1 and 2 were exacerbated when I carried passengers that habitually pulled on the passenger door handle BEFORE the door was unlocked.

Here is what I found while investigating my issue:
1. I pulled the door panel and found that the assembly BEHIND the door pull had detached from its position within the metal inner door skin.
2. I also found that the connector rod that links the handle-to-door-latch (at rear of door) had been bent very slightly out of shape (stretched) likely due to people pulling the door handle BEFORE the door is actually unlocked.
3. I also found that my Dicktator fix was not perfectly aligned horizontally with the door pull. The holes I drilled resulted in the handle being rotated ever so slightly downward toward the front of the vehicle. This seemed to cause some binding in the mechanism BEHIND the door pull (that slides forward when the handle is pulled and pulls on the latch connecting rod).

Here is what I did to fix the issue:
1. Slightly shortened the actuator connecting rod by disconnecting it and physically pushing it toward the rear of the door in order to reset the bends in the rod. Be very careful not to shorten it too much or the door will not LOCK (don't ask how I know this - HA!).
2. Reset the sliding mechanism into the door skin (directly behind the inner handle) and made sure it was secure and freely operating (sliding easily).
3. Repositioned the Dicktator handle fix it to ensure horizontal alignment and movement. This was critical to my final positive outcome because the handle actually moved more freely and responded better to the spring action inside the handle. The handle fully seated into position in the handle cup more easily.

Once these items were addressed, my passenger door LOCKS operated as designed. Now UNLATCHES more easily and with a much lighter pull on the inside handle. Now to teach passengers not to pull handle before the door unlocks - HA!

On another note, while I had the issue with the passenger door I also had an intermittent issue with the DRIVER door window indexing UP while the DRIVER door is open. When I corrected the PASSENGER door issue, my DRIVER door window indexing problem IMMEDIATELY DISAPPEARED! I'm not sure how these issues are related, but I believe this is not coincidence.

Hope my experience helps a little bit.
Cheers, Carl

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have had similar electrical gremlins with the locks. I am not convinced it is an issue with the lock itself, but rather within the system as when the passenger side starts acting up, eventually other issues arise such as light staying on, not being able to activate alarm, etc. I end up pylling all power for a day and it often resolves. Very frustrating.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,323 Posts
The lock works , but i can not get the door open ? What a pain in the butt , having to climb over to get in the "r"
help !!!!!!
That problem is most associated with the broken plastic part behind the inner door handle.

You can find a repair kit here if that is the problem -
https://www.shop.simple-engineering.com/product.sc?productId=125&categoryId=21

If you pull off the door panel and there are no cracks in the plastic cup area then it might be a rod adjustment requirement.

I have had similar electrical gremlins with the locks. I am not convinced it is an issue with the lock itself, but rather within the system as when the passenger side starts acting up, eventually other issues arise such as light staying on, not being able to activate alarm, etc. I end up pylling all power for a day and it often resolves. Very frustrating.
Most likely it is a bad lock. The door lock motor does get worn out and internals get corroded and cause similar problems with interior lights and alarm. If the system thinks the door is still open or not locked it will keep the lights on and not arm itself.

When it stops working with the power reset I would look at the door mechanism as an issue.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys I really appreciate all the information. I have learned a lot. I have decided to do what I do best which is to not do anything right now. It it not causing me all that much grief yet. When it gets worse I will have to tear into it. Luckily the problem is isolated to the lock on the passenger door only and not related to window indexing.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After reading the Dictator How To's I have been able to see what the area looks like inside the door. After reading the responses to my initital post I see there are several possibilities in what is wrong. Some could be manual and some electrical. To the reasonably unskilled like myself it would appear that first I should take the door panel off and visually inspect the area for broken or misalined parts. (Such as those suggested by Carl Bush listed above) Should that fail to show any problem, my next course of action would be to replace the door module, however I see that the are no longer available. So where do I go from here regarding diagnosis and eventual repair.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts