Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2004, Red, Automatic
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the Goodyear tires with another brand? If so, which one(s)? How is the ride and handling?
Is there a difference between a performance vs a touring tire? I purchased Big Red to use as a golf cart - I only drive it to play golf at courses within an hour of my home. I have the dual distinction of being the worst golfer on the course with the best looking vehicle on the parking lot.
If I can avoid purchasing the tires online that would be preferable as I have a thing for supporting local businesses even if it costs a few dollars more.
TIA,
Bob

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,587 Posts
I am like you and buy from locals who stand behind the product. My advice is find a local tire shop and talk this over with him. Several things enter in as the fronts are 19 inch and the backs are 20. Seems like some of the tire company's don't always have the correct sizes so your shop would have to supply you with what he can get. I went with the Goodyear RSA's and my shop got me some with date codes that were made that year. Some shops can't get them at all. More advice. Very gently take your center caps off yourself before you take it to the shop. Also have them Roadforce balanced. Remember you want good tires as you do not have a spare. Also get towing and roadside service. Happy hunting and good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I have a set of Continental DWS 06's. They are a nice tire. I also have 315-35's on the back. The diameter is practically the same on the two and when I bought mine the 315's were less expensive. They would be a great year around tire in Missouri. I love my Michelin Super Sports, but you don't need these for what you are using your R for.

Take your center caps off before you have them mounted. Also, if you can, I would have them road force balanced.

I too like to buy local. The price when all said in done was about the same as national wholesalers.

Please do yourself a favor and TOSS THE GOODYEARS.

IMO

Dave

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,931 Posts
MIA,
You replaced the 295 rears with 315's, why did you make that change?
Bob
Two reasons.......
1) The 315’s are 20mm wider than the 295’s. Nice meaty look from the rear.

2) 500 RWHP needs a little extra bite.

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,213 Posts
I have a set of Continental DWS 06's. They are a nice tire. I also have 315-35's on the back. The diameter is practically the same on the two and when I bought mine the 315's were less expensive. They would be a great year around tire in Missouri. I love my Michelin Super Sports, but you don't need these for what you are using your R for.

Take your center caps off before you have them mounted. Also, if you can, I would have them road force balanced.

I too like to buy local. The price when all said in done was about the same as national wholesalers.

Please do yourself a favor and TOSS THE GOODYEARS.

IMO

Dave
"I too like to buy local" AMEN !!! (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)🇺🇲🇺🇲🇺🇲🇺🇲🇺🇲

·
BAD BOW TIE
10,587 Posts
Keep in mind if you change tire size it may throw your speedometer off. It is easy to get used to but just so you know.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,871 Posts
The Continentals may be the only ones you may find in a matching OEM size set without buying online but the dealer may still need to order them. As mentioned before, there are hundreds of posts on this subject.
I bought mine at Simpletire.com and they were shipped to a local participating tire store (Pep Boys) who called me when they came in, made an appointment and had them installed and balanced.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Keep in mind if you change tire size it may throw your speedometer off. It is easy to get used to but just so you know.
Not exactly. You can change the tire width and aspect ratio and keep the same overall dimension, thus maintaining your speedo readings but having a different sized tire.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
The 315-35-20 is very very close to the OEM. You will find about the same difference among more tire brands in the same size than between the 295 and 315.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts