Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If we start hollering now, maybe it'll have an effect! Besides, what better time to introduce the 7.0 to the SSR than '07... the numbers match... it must be fate! It *has* to happen!

Come on, GM, I want a 427 available in '07! Pretty please! (beg, beg)

:thumbs

The SSR is a hot rod and deserves the 6.0 that you gave it, at the least (thanks for doing that). I'd be willing to pay extra $ to get the 427 as an option. I don't care about gas mileage, otherwise I'd buy an econo-box. I love the coming options for '07, but I'd like you to add another... the 427!

Do what bean-counting you need to do to make the option profitable for you and get it done! What would the up-charge be worth for the 7.0... an additional $7k? So what?! For a vehicle in this price range that has a following (i.e. this club) the upcharge shouldn't be a barrier to sales.

Additional cooling can be found, if that's an issue that's holding you back. Angle that chin spoiler, open up the grill, put a heavy duty radiator in there, a better fan, and put some heat ports in the sides of the front fenders like the Trans Ams used to have ('done that to my turbo RX-7 and it worked great... 'talk about a HOT motor!). No problem!

Do it! Do it! Do it!

I want a 427 in the SSR that I'm going to buy!

:reddevil

Jeff
Tucson, Arizona
(We know how to deal with the heat down here)

·
180 Posts
Idea-(kind of)

I thought I had a good idea for you until I realized you have not purchased an SSR yet. There are quite a few fanatics salivating for the 7L (427 or 428 depending on who you talk to) power plant.

I have been checking with GM about getting the LS7 for another project (secret project--not for my SSR). Anyway, the LS7 WILL be available as a crate engine in spring of '06!!! So a reasonable option would be to buy a crate LS7 (estimated to price at about 12K) and drop it in! You could then sell your LS2 (if you have an '05) on ebay.

Something else to consider, the 6L '05 is really a great engine. If someone was to follow Jim G.'s mods (as he will not doubt cover in his book), you could definitely get LS7 performance out of a LS2 with a blower, headers, exhaust, etc. That is actually what I am doing to my '05 Slingshot.

I think you would have better luck getting a great deal on an SSR now or in the near future rather than waiting for the slim possiblity of a 427 SSR.

My 2 cents worth. Good Luck!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Kevin Honolulu said:
Anyway, the LS7 WILL be available as a crate engine in spring of '06!!! So a reasonable option would be to buy a crate LS7 (estimated to price at about 12K) and drop it in! You could then sell your LS2 (if you have an '05) on ebay.
It should be available sooner than that; like later this month or September. Price will be closer to $13,000. You can "order" one now on GM Parts Direct.com. Part number is: 17802397 Motor will be placed on "backorder" right now.

A few months later, individual components will be available through your GM dealer....

(yes, I've been thinking of something too.....)

The LS2 motor does have a lot of potential in it as well. Heck, a modded LS1/6 can easily get to 500 HP for a lot less than $12-13k. As LS2-Edit gets better (it is already out, but somewhat limited in Torque Management modifications right now), even more will be possible. I just read where Calloway's "Supernatural" C6 Vette just did some 10.76 runs at the drag strip recently with a modded LS2 motor ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Tucson, huh?

TucsonSSR said:
If we start hollering now, maybe it'll have an effect! Besides, what better time to introduce the 7.0 to the SSR than '07... the numbers match... it must be fate! It *has* to happen!

Come on, GM, I want a 427 available in '07! Pretty please! (beg, beg)

:thumbs

The SSR is a hot rod and deserves the 6.0 that you gave it, at the least (thanks for doing that). I'd be willing to pay extra $ to get the 427 as an option. I don't care about gas mileage, otherwise I'd buy an econo-box. I love the coming options for '07, but I'd like you to add another... the 427!

Do what bean-counting you need to do to make the option profitable for you and get it done! What would the up-charge be worth for the 7.0... an additional $7k? So what?! For a vehicle in this price range that has a following (i.e. this club) the upcharge shouldn't be a barrier to sales.

Additional cooling can be found, if that's an issue that's holding you back. Angle that chin spoiler, open up the grill, put a heavy duty radiator in there, a better fan, and put some heat ports in the sides of the front fenders like the Trans Ams used to have ('done that to my turbo RX-7 and it worked great... 'talk about a HOT motor!). No problem!

Do it! Do it! Do it!

I want a 427 in the SSR that I'm going to buy!

:reddevil

Jeff

Tucson, Arizona
(We know how to deal with the heat down here)

Hey! I noticed you live in Tucson :cheers --I grew up there at DM for 9 years. I sure miss that place!! :( Shauna

·
Registered
442 Posts
Does anyone that can affect GM's decisions read AND care about the comments of a few 7.0 loving whackos here? It seems to me that the issue is numbers and the one thing that may be going for us is that they will actually already be building that engine and just possibly, an SSR-R could happen? This also isn't about waiting for something better to be available. I tried to get in on the $27995 '04 even though I really want nothing to do with a 5.3 with a 4 speed auto but I have daughters that vehicle would be good for and the '06 with 400 h.p. and two-tone is what I really want and if something better, with a 7.0 comes out later, GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Meanwhile, if anyone hears a good rumor.........

V

·
0 Posts
I'd buy one...

Much like the SSR itself, the SSR-LS7 would be a matter of choice and taste. GM made a rationale decision the the SSR would appeal to a niche of its market, and might be losing money on it (except as an advertisement).

If one person got behind it, and they got enough pre-orders, I suspect there is an actuarial formula GM might already have in place...

Like I said, that's where I'll spend my next $50,000.

Vaquero

·
Registered
253 Posts
As I have said before, if this is the new dawning of the horse power wars for the big 3, build it and they will come!

They already have the LS7, just make it an option. If it's an option I couldn't see them losing much on that, either you want it or not. Or add a factory blower, if they can put one on a Cobalt SS I see no reason that the SSR shouldn't be included in the fun.

I see it easier to do than try and shave 1000 lbs off the total body weight.

The SSR is the halo vehicle for Chevy, so....., make it one! How do you do that? Displacement and style, hell, Chevy has enough ideas from this site alone to build one of the baddest custom factory trucks ever! The only other company at the moment trying to do that is Dodge with the Stumble Bee pickup, Ford for some reason canned the Lightning, which was one bad ass truck.

Zoom Zoom! (Maybe)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts