Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
31,261 Posts
Non flamed version up on Ebay for $75

I think this is the one you're looking for? It's not "billet", but it has flames.

http://www.bdspeedshop.com/item.cgi?session_id=&part_id=34


I bought the "regular" version of this frame. Works fine, but I made the mistake of mouting the internal cross bar just a tad too high. I also needed a few large fender washers to fill in the gap between the cross bar and the rad support (nearly 1/4"). Still, better than the factory unit or having to cobble up something on your own.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,317 Posts
The regular plate holder is just what I need to show my Texas Plate, and NOT mess up the front bumper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
615 Posts
I am still working on this unit, as I did not like the close fit to front fascia and gap, as you state.

ssr71 said:
I think this is the one you're looking for? It's not "billet", but it has flames.

http://www.bdspeedshop.com/item.cgi?session_id=&part_id=34


I bought the "regular" version of this frame. Works fine, but I made the mistake of mouting the internal cross bar just a tad too high. I also needed a few large fender washers to fill in the gap between the cross bar and the rad support (nearly 1/4"). Still, better than the factory unit or having to cobble up something on your own.
 

·
Senior Privileged Member
Joined
·
4,100 Posts
The BD solution has two more negatives not yet mentioned:

1. It cannot be used where the front license plate has already previosuly been installed in the "factory" (higher) position, because it will NOT cover the mounting holes created by using the factory plastic license plate holder.

2. It blocks off more of the critical air flow to the underside air deflector than the higher mounted facotry plate holder does. The factory one blocks off a portion of one of the grill openings, but that impact is smaller than the impact of the BD plate holder blocking off part of the under flow.

Good points: powder coated paint is TOUGH, all stainless steel hardware.

Jim G
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
31,261 Posts
JimGnitecki said:
2. It blocks off more of the critical air flow to the underside air deflector than the higher mounted facotry plate holder does. The factory one blocks off a portion of one of the grill openings, but that impact is smaller than the impact of the BD plate holder blocking off part of the under flow.
Jim, you bring up a good point there. Maybe we need a poll for this, but how many of us that are having overheat problems are required to have front plates, and/or also have aftermarket brackets.

Might be interesting to see the results.
 

·
West Coast Pit Crew
Joined
·
10,185 Posts
Nothing to do with it

ssr71 said:
Jim, you bring up a good point there. Maybe we need a poll for this, but how many of us that are having overheat problems are required to have front plates, and/or also have aftermarket brackets.

Might be interesting to see the results.
Front plates have nothing to do with our overheating problems. Our problems are when we are at a stand still. Its all about the fan, so far I'am fine it goes up and back down. I've found that if I'am going to be in traffic (stop and go) I turn the A/C on w/recyle and it stays at 210 period... :D

Waiting for all the crap fans to be used so when I go in for a fix I'am sure to get the new fan that Jim G has taked about :yesnod
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top