Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of installing my new radio. I already have converted my previous backup camera to a front wheel cam, so I now have right side front and back wheel cams that I can switch between with my previous drop down monitor.
Today was install wiring and front curb camera and reverse camera. I am interested to see if the new camera with the "active curving lines" works.
I had finished all the wiring except the "green wire" to the parking brake wire.
I didn't want to tear the console apart to get to the parking brake wire. I called Crutchfield Tech. He said I could access the "blue wire" from the parking brake at the BCM. The BCM is under the waterfall, no sweat. Wrong, it is under there but the blue plug that has the "blue wire" is below where the top of the console ends and I couldn't get it out, took the top of the console off the get at the parking brake wire. With the top of the console off I can see the the "blue" wire is just in front of the fuse access panel and I just pulled it out to tap into it. Then I had to put it all back to gather. And guess what, if the lock for the console box moves out of position you cannot get to top back on. Took me 30 minutes to learn that little fact. So a hour and a half job could have been done in 5 minutes without the scratch on the console.

Jack

·
Registered
87 Posts
I had the same problem. You did better than me took me an hour to get it back in the right place after I figured it out,no scratch though.
Jeff

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Reminds me of a couple of old sayings from my past. Not that are totally relevant here, but....

1) There are always 3 ways to do things but only one is right.

2) No job is complete without a least 3 trips to the hardware store.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,296 Posts
I am learning there are a few things that seem like a quick easy fix, but end up taking 3 times as long as they should. And when you see what the problem is or why it didn't work the first try, it is like the little light goes off. Why didn't I see that first time around?. I tend to find myself trying to be extra careful with any thing I do on the SSR while on my other cars they seem to not need the delicate touch when working on them.

·
Spirited driver!
1,658 Posts
I can relate to this thread. Earlier this week I put on the caliper covers but noticed a slight dragging noise under braking. So 2 trips to the tool store + one to Costco for a new battery (it was the original!) and 3 wheel removals later the noise has been fixed. :banghead

·
Premium Member
514 Posts
I always say " Nothing is ever easy " Sillypuddy and Old Yella :yellow:

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,009 Posts
I am in the process of installing my new radio. I already have converted my previous backup camera to a front wheel cam, so I now have right side front and back wheel cams that I can switch between with my previous drop down monitor.
Today was install wiring and front curb camera and reverse camera. I am interested to see if the new camera with the "active curving lines" works.
I had finished all the wiring except the "green wire" to the parking brake wire.
I didn't want to tear the console apart to get to the parking brake wire. I called Crutchfield Tech. He said I could access the "blue wire" from the parking brake at the BCM. The BCM is under the waterfall, no sweat. Wrong, it is under there but the blue plug that has the "blue wire" is below where the top of the console ends and I couldn't get it out, took the top of the console off the get at the parking brake wire. With the top of the console off I can see the the "blue" wire is just in front of the fuse access panel and I just pulled it out to tap into it. Then I had to put it all back to gather. And guess what, if the lock for the console box moves out of position you cannot get to top back on. Took me 30 minutes to learn that little fact. So a hour and a half job could have been done in 5 minutes without the scratch on the console.

Jack
Jack, Don't connect to the parking brake. With that you can only access the menus on your screen if the parking brake is on.
Depending on your radio, Pioneer, Jensen, etc. you can purchase a small module that fools the radio into thinking the brake is on and use all the functions of your radio all the time. I found mine on EBay for $10 for my Kenwood.

Greg

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
1,069 Posts
Jack, Don't connect to the parking brake. With that you can only access the menus on your screen if the parking brake is on.
Depending on your radio, Pioneer, Jensen, etc. you can purchase a small module that fools the radio into thinking the brake is on and use all the functions of your radio all the time. I found mine on EBay for $10 for my Kenwood.

Greg
Agreed, I did the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts