Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
189 the LAST blur
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally crawled under my R looking for the hitch option as shown on my build sheet. Before I decide what direction I want to proceed on (factory style receiver vs a modified version to accept my previous receiver) please tell me where the harness is hidden for power to the trailer lights etc. Some previous posts described the change over the the Trailblazer style setup but I don't want to get that extravagant. The factory unit seems weird but??
What kind of tongue weight will the factory hitch support in case I want to pull a car trailer at some point.

·
Spirited driver!
1,538 Posts
Yes, the factory receiver is a little strange in that the hitch goes up vertically into the receiver. I believe the towing capacity is only 2,500 lbs.

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,276 Posts
I believe that the ORIS hitch is a common European style. The towing capacity is more limited to the cooling system than the trucks actual frame and powertrain. Several members have exceeded the recommended limits generally with some addl mods. Mike in AZ would be the person to contact with your questions about cooling (engine & tranny).

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Trailer wiring Harness

Did you find the wiring loom? I just got under my R and could not find it! Is it near the trunk lid actuator? Anyone have a photo? Would there be a flat four pin connector attached? The trailer hitch was on the R when I purchased it and have ordered a hitch ball receiver and want to set it up for towing. Can I assume that the wiring harness would have come with a factory hitch? BTW - according to the manual, the 2500 lbs is correct and the tongue weight ids 250 lbs. Thanks in advance:ssr:banghead

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
There is no connector on the wires. They are rolled up and taped to the wire bundle on the drivers side frame near the rear wheel. Look for a big lump in the bundle and carefully cut it open.
Towing is limited to 2500 lbs by GM because of cooling problems, an aux trans cooler is a good idea.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Thanks guys!!! I found the wiring bundle! It was right where Mike and others said! It wasn't very big and I wasn't completely sure it was the correct one! Anyway, I carefully cut back the tape around the flexible conduit, pulled the 18 inches or so of wire and checked the colors - green, yellow, brown, white. I then re-taped the black conduit with electric tape the reseal for protection from the elements and tie-wrapped the wires until I can get the appropriate connectors. See pics below. Thanks again..:ssr

Attachments

·
189 the LAST blur
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for taking the time and photos to illustrate this querie. Now knowing what to look for from the pics really simplifies this. Might make this a December project when I get get it up in the air as the season is almost over. Last night went out for a quick run and at least the heated seats, rear window defogger and clock set back functions all worked for me being the first time trying to use them. Love it!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts