Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has replaced the gas shocks on the rear cargo cover with linear actuators. Tired of muscling the cover closed and curious to know if this this been done and what was involved.

TIA
SSRGEEZER

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,612 Posts
Kathy's '04 OEM"s can be closed with one hand. Sounds like someone has changed the one's on your SSR for Mike's stronger ones. Maybe someone has the OEM's they took off and would part with them. That would be a LOT CHEAPER!!! Others will have other ideas.

Nick

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,557 Posts
Kathy's '04 OEM"s can be closed with one hand. Sounds like someone has changed the one's on your SSR for Mike's stronger ones. Maybe someone has the OEM's they took off and would part with them. That would be a LOT CHEAPER!!! Others will have other ideas.

Nick
I suspect the question has to do with the screw drive units that newer vehicles have for tailgates and trunk lids so they can be opened AND CLOSED electically. I know RunrRodRun looked into that at one point but it was not fiscally practical.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts

Nick
Careful there Nick...... you might want to find out where he bought his existing struts before you assume they are mine. The ones that Florida Stainless sells have at least 10 pounds more force than the ones I sell. I have come across them a couple times.

SSRGEEZER is in Florida...... he may have gotten them from Gary at Florida Stainless.

Hey - SSRGEEZER - If your struts have a label on them from LS Technologies in Canada, send me a PM and I will work it out for you.

Regards,

Mike

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
Yes, but not a simple solution

Wondering if anyone has replaced the gas shocks on the rear cargo cover with linear actuators. Tired of muscling the cover closed and curious to know if this this been done and what was involved.

TIA
SSRGEEZER
I suspect the question has to do with the screw drive units that newer vehicles have for tailgates and trunk lids so they can be opened AND CLOSED electically. I know RunrRodRun looked into that at one point but it was not fiscally practical.
Because of my relationship with Jeff (RunRodRun) and the modifications on his truck, I looked into this about 12 years ago when he wanted to have it. Yes, it is “do-able”.......
You can add two linear actuators, but will have to move the mounting points and re-engineer the forces involved in opening and closing the lid. The biggest issues have to do with latching and unlatching both sides simultaneously and tailgate position when closing the lid. Keeping the two linear actuators synchronized can be done, but is a complex actuator design issue all its own. You also need just the right amount of force when pulling the lid down and clicking into both of the latches at the same time without bending the lid.

The failure modes of electrically operating the lid are really awful. They are SIGNIFICANTLY worse if you just put linear actuators in place of the pneumatic lift struts. Mitigating risk to an acceptable level would be a real challenge. I have seen electrical actuation done on only one SSR in Canada. The cost of the mods to the “Dragon” were astronomical.... but absolutely amazing.

My two cents,

Mike

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike (Simple Engineering) was correct. I DID buy a set of replacement struts from Gary (Florida Stainless) in October 2017. They work great when opening but are a real pain to close (so much so, my wife can't close the lid by herself and she's no weakling).

Also appreciate the input/advice from Mike about actuators. Sounds like the complexity may be a little beyond my ability (and possibly more than I want to spend) to have someone do it.

Appreciate the replies. That's what makes this website so great!!!

SSRGEEZER

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
Mike (Simple Engineering) was correct. I DID buy a set of replacement struts from Gary (Florida Stainless) in October 2017. They work great when opening but are a real pain to close (so much so, my wife can't close the lid by herself and she's no weakling).

Also appreciate the input/advice from Mike about actuators. Sounds like the complexity may be a little beyond my ability (and possibly more than I want to spend) to have someone do it.

Appreciate the replies. That's what makes this website so great!!!

SSRGEEZER
I will send you a set of LST struts to "test", if you would be willing......

By the way, SSRGEEZER, your mailbox is full. I couldn't send you a PM....

Mike

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I am assuming that everyone talking about how hard it is to shut the lid knows that you shut it first and then the tailgate, but just in case I will mention it. A lot of the new owners may not know that.
I bought a set from Florida Stainless and I have had no problem closing my lid but I will say after a couple of years it no longer opens on it's own when the release button is pushed I now have to lift it myself. I do not know what the life expectancy on these struts are, can someone tell me that?
Thanks!

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,947 Posts
I will send you a set of LST struts to "test", if you would be willing......

By the way, SSRGEEZER, your mailbox is full. I couldn't send you a PM....

Mike
You don't have to send any, he is in Florida and I have them in Stock, I keep your LST struts in stock for SSR Fanatics.

https://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f39/hands-tech-day-feb-16th-247965/

Hands On Tech Day, Feb 16th

Check above thread if you would like to come and be with 25 other SSR Fanatics.

Dicktator
Cell: 727-460-6038
Email: [email protected]

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
I don't know what the longevity is, but on the ones from Mike in Arizona, they lifted my lid for a couple of months. Now that just pop up enough to get my fingers under them to lift it up. Still have a lot of pull down on them though. I bought them last summer.

·
Premium Member
9,381 Posts
I've had my LST struts (same ones Mike sells) for at least 6 years now. They still pop my lid to full extension. They are very solid when pulling them down, but |I've never felt the effort required was excessive.

And yes - the tailgate needs to be open to be able to close the lid.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,386 Posts

TIA
SSRGEEZER
Not trying to be a wise guy but I have a question. Are you closing the lid in the right order as described in the owners book. Mine closes very easily. You close the top lid first then the tail gate last. If you do it the other way around and close the tailgate first it is almost impossible to close the lid because the back is full of air you are compressing. It also doesn't seal properly as the gaskets were made to seal in the proper order. Hope that helps.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,190 Posts
I don't know what the longevity is, but on the ones from Mike in Arizona, they lifted my lid for a couple of months. Now that just pop up enough to get my fingers under them to lift it up. Still have a lot of pull down on them though. I bought them last summer.
Send me an email, Dave. [email protected]
I’ll ship you a new set and you can mail back the old ones. I have a warranty......

Mike

·
Daily Driver
8,958 Posts
A lot of it depends on how tall you are. For a shorty like myself(5'7") pulling down the lid with the tailgate all the way open is a stretch and takes more effort. If the tailgate is 90% closed (that's what I keep my belly for) it's easier to close the lid.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,009 Posts
Depends on the ambient temperature too. In our summer heat in Texas the lid flies open but now in 40 deg temps it pops up and sometimes it slowly opens other times I need to give it a tug. I don't move too fast in the cold either!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the comments and advice. Yes, I DO close the cover and tailgate in the proper order (cover first, then tailgate). Every so often I'll put a light coating of WD40 on the strut rods (both cover and hood struts) and that seems to help slightly. I don't spray directly on the rods but spray a little on a rag and wipe them down.
For now I'll just keep muscling the cover closed.

SSR GEEZER

P.S., Mike thanks for the heads up on my mailbox.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts