Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Troy,

How is it some of my bookmarked links have topical icons. For example the tivo forum link has a little tivo guy instead of the usual dog eared page.

More importantly can we have one for the SSR/F site? Please.

What is good about them is I can delete the names in my links toolbar and show more sites.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Good suggestion! :cheers

Yes, I can do that. I considered it once but didn't have a good graphic to use on hand and then just forgot about it. If anyone is good at graphics and can send one over it would certainly speed things up! If not, I'll give it my best shot.

·
Registered
541 Posts
favicon.ico

Troy Roberts said:
Good suggestion! :cheers

Yes, I can do that. I considered it once but didn't have a good graphic to use on hand and then just forgot about it. If anyone is good at graphics and can send one over it would certainly speed things up! If not, I'll give it my best shot.
Here is one. You have to tell me the code to make it show up as payment for using it. I was looking at this a while back but did not get it working and forgot about it.

Hmmm, I can put the file here as an inline image (favicon.ico) but the extension is invalid for me to attach it. Oh well, you know how to save the picture, I'm sure.

Diggs

·
Registered
541 Posts
Favicon.ico

It's supposed to be 16 x 16 pixels. The format is .bmp and the file name gets changed to .ico and that's all I know.

Let's hope Troy can make something work.

Diggs

·
Registered
347 Posts
can someone else try this to see if it's working for you? You may need to setup a new favorites item to get it to work.

For some reason none of them work for me. Even at Yahoo. They all just went away one day and I haven't figured out why yet. :confused

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I updated the bmp file in my previous post.

If an icon has been implemented, I haven't seen it yet. Usually they just show up, First in the address field then wherever the site is listed in a bookmark. Though sometimes when the site is off line they revert to generic.

Is this another form of a web bug?

PS: for those using IE any bookmark's properties can be modified to show any icon choosen.
Foxfire dosen't provide that in the bookmark props.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Diggs said:
OK. So how do you make it show up?

What is the code and where in the .html do you place it? I gotta know.....

Diggs
I had to create the image as a valid .ico file first. Then I uploaded it to the root directory. After I closed my browser and opened a new one the icon showed up.

If you're not seeing it, try deleting you old bookmark and adding a new one as a test.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I didn't delete the old bookmark but did just try adding it as new usually it will say you already have this would you like to add anyway but it didn't do that this time, it added it as a different name but the same V is the icon.

·
Registered
347 Posts
You're seeing the vBulletin V? :confused

I'll look into it. I'm going to be out of town for most of the next week though. It may have to wait a bit.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
not working for foxfire...

See the attached jpeg.

The top ssr link was created today. Generic icon.

You can see the icons for Tivo and XM radio forums. They show up in the address bar of the browser. IIRC I did nothing special to have them show up in the bookmarks.

PS: IE dose not allow the title of bookmarks to be Null the way Firefox does.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The link icon has shown up in Foxfire now. :cool

More: That was at work, at home, I had to clear the various caches. The only one I didn't clear was for forms data. Don't know which item cleared thing up, but the next time I clicked on the bookmark its icon updated. BTW this also cleared the icons of every other book mark too. They reset the same way.

·
Registered
541 Posts
More input, please...

Troy Roberts said:
I had to create the image as a valid .ico file first. Then I uploaded it to the root directory. After I closed my browser and opened a new one the icon showed up.

If you're not seeing it, try deleting you old bookmark and adding a new one as a test.
Valid .ico? How you do that? I thought it was just creating a .bmp and rename to .ico. Man, so much to learn.

Diggs

1 - 19 of 19 Posts