Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be nice to have a thread to mention ALL the problems people are having with our beloved SSR. This way we can go to one place, print a list and take it to the dealer. I'm planning to get all my problems solved in one shot this winter when I'm putting it to sleep for the Winter. Here are mine, add yours please.

1- black mark appearing on the rear removable half of the top by the window as you go convertible.

2- The door to the glove compartment has to be SLAMMED shut.

3- Windows getting scratched as they go up and down.

3-the little plastic knob is broken on one my inside the cabin air vents, too flimsy.

4-white stuff on the foam under the hood from the very first day.

have not had any other problems, if you have other ones please add here (rubber rubbers for the top, overheating, Tonneau Hinge, hood props, etc)

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Do not slam the glove box or you could break that too. There is a little u shaped piece of metal that latches onto the plastic, yes plastic catch!!! This piece of metal is easily bent back into position by hand and then the glove box closes quite easily. I simply pulled the "U" shaped catch into position and now my tiny glove box closes quite easily. Every once in a while I have to pull it back into the correct position. Slamming the glove box may actually damage that plastic in my opinion, but I could be wrong. :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Problems with SSR

Just two for me:

1. Driveshaft "Tink"
2. Endgate Weatherstrip (Lower) Replaced twice.

Nomadkenn

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
thanks

cruzned said:
Do not slam the glove box or you could break that too. There is a little u shaped piece of metal that latches onto the plastic, yes plastic catch!!! This piece of metal is easily bent back into position by hand and then the glove box closes quite easily. I simply pulled the "U" shaped catch into position and now my tiny glove box closes quite easily. Every once in a while I have to pull it back into the correct position. Slamming the glove box may actually damage that plastic in my opinion, but I could be wrong. :)
Thanks, Ed - I have the same problem - wasn't sure which way to bend the metal. That was torwards the puller, right??

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,531 Posts
Here's the problem list from my former SSR:

1) "Tinking" drive shaft (replaced once with same part and it too started to make the noise). New drive shaft is reported to exist now to "fix" this issue.
2) Extremely rough engine idle (after some freeway driving). Service department refused to look into this issue.
3) Harsh 1st-to-2nd gear shift on any sort of uphill climb (I mean ANY) after the transmission fluid was fully warmed up. Service manager found a TSB to exist for this issue, but service department refused to fix until GM signed off on it. GM rep would never come by to approve. :banghead
4) Two roof area related rattles (with the roof up). I was told that at least one could be fixed (not by the service department)
5) Truck bed lid cover would only pop to a fully open position at random times (very few - after about 1.5 months of use)
6) Driver's side seat leather would rub on the center console. I ended up applying some felt to the center console to quiet this one down.
7) Front bowtie trim piece did not stay in place on the passenger's side headlight. I had to remove and realign and added some extra velco pieces to solve this one.
8) Passenger side door would not close correctly (a lot of extra effort required). Service department had to send the SSR to a body shop to realign the door.
9) My SSR was an early one so it had the non heat treated roof tonneau cover hinges. Installing the new ones caused nearly two months of misalinged tonneau cover and "Roof Cycle Timeout" errors.
10) My SSR was one of the "lucky" ones to experience the "knock-knock-knock" noise from the HVAC blower motor on settting "2" and on setting "1" as you rev the engine. A TSB exists stating a fix will be produced "sometime in the future".
11) Chevy sold wheel locks don't actually fit stock wheels on SSR. I had to buy some McGard wheel locks to have the alloy rim not get mangled.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Listening??

You listening, Chevy??? The situation described by shiftz33 is inexcusable - we realize that the earlier production vehicles may have had some problems that were later addressed - but is it right to make that the consumer's problem??

D

·
0 Posts
Squeaks

I am a new owner of a 2004 Black SSR. I am expieriencing two noises in my roof, one with the top down a consistent squeak behind the drivers seat , i think in the roof linkage.The other is when the roof is up there is a consistent faint, annoying plastic rubbing noise right of the rear view mirror in the roof panel. I have not taken it to the dealer yet, any suggestions? :seeya

1998 Red Corvette coupe ( Bought new,has 19000 miles)
1998 Silverado 4X4 79,000 miles
1950 Chevy 3100 truck ( 600 miles on frame off restoration)
2004 BMW 525i SPORT

P

·
0 Posts
SSR Windows

undefined This is my first-so bear with me! :confused Has anyone had any problems with the windows on your SSR :( Our's don't seal when the windows go up and we now have rain and water leaking in :cry We have had the dealership checking this out and they don't seem to be able to fix the problem, I am now :mad :cuss and with the rain that has come in the seat belts now stink :( I need HELP in IOWA :)

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Peanuts/Dboop said:
undefined This is my first-so bear with me! :confused Has anyone had any problems with the windows on your SSR :( Our's don't seal when the windows go up and we now have rain and water leaking in :cry We have had the dealership checking this out and they don't seem to be able to fix the problem, I am now :mad :cuss and with the rain that has come in the seat belts now stink :( I need HELP in IOWA :)

have them realign the window inside the pane. Search threads for other comments on this

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Window issues..... I think that there must be a reason why the windows become unaligned. Now my passenger window is shutting completly outside the rubber groove. It has not been aligned before. I am waiting for bad weather to take it in to the shop. Great driving weather in Texas. ;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Squeak

I just picked up my Redline Red SSR yesterday. VIN #12270. No noises when I test drive it, but now it has a squeak with the top down, right behind the drivers seat. Dlink sounds like we have the same problem. However with the top up mine is as quiet as my Mercedes-Benz SLK320. I've put WD-40 and silicone spray on the linkage, hydraulic cylinders and pivot points, but the squeak is still there.

P

·
0 Posts
SSR Windows

We have taken it in at least 10 times and they just don't seem to get the windows right. :nodno They work ok for awhile then when we either put the top down or just the windows down they don't seal again :mad And the water leaking in isn't good either. :cry It's being picked up this week again so they can try and fix the windows. I'm to this point :banghead and ready to call GMC! Just to give them some of this :cuss :rant !!!!!!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
My biggest problem is that I have to stop driving it and go to work instead of just driving around all day and night. :jester

C

·
0 Posts
Don't know about anybody else ....
but I've got 900 miles on mine and it's already got more squeeks and rattles than a car with 100,000 miles ? And that damn driveshaft "TING" !!

Oh well

·
Registered
318 Posts
Problems

redssrloaded said:
I thought it would be nice to have a thread to mention ALL the problems people are having with our beloved SSR. This way we can go to one place, print a list and take it to the dealer. I'm planning to get all my problems solved in one shot this winter when I'm putting it to sleep for the Winter. Here are mine, add yours please.

1- black mark appearing on the rear removable half of the top by the window as you go convertible.

2- The door to the glove compartment has to be SLAMMED shut.

3- Windows getting scratched as they go up and down.

3-the little plastic knob is broken on one my inside the cabin air vents, too flimsy.

4-white stuff on the foam under the hood from the very first day.

have not had any other problems, if you have other ones please add here (rubber rubbers for the top, overheating, Tonneau Hinge, hood props, etc)
Anyone come up with an idea to stop the road noise from coming up through the opening where the roof support brackets fold down? Been stuffing sweat shirts in the openings, which really helps but without that we have to listen to tire whine and road noise... Looked in there, seems to me that some sort of sound deadening material might be gorrilla snotted in... Anybody got any idea's besides turn the radio up!!!

1 - 20 of 93 Posts