Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Perfectionist
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas, I got a little rattle, or shake thru the steering wheel. When I hit bumps it feels like a wheel bearing that needs preload. 18K on the clock. Front end alined to dicks specs. tire pres good. just very slight. thx, D

·
My First Permagrin !
567 Posts
Fellas, I got a little rattle, or shake thru the steering wheel. When I hit bumps it feels like a wheel bearing that needs preload. 18K on the clock. Front end alined to dicks specs. tire pres good. just very slight. thx, D
So I had a similar problem once , and it ended up being a pebble in the tire tread .
I would check the wheel lugs and retorque . I hope you find the problem . Dave

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,067 Posts
Could be a balance issue especially if you threw a weight off.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Has there ever been any issues with the steering shafts on the SSRs? Full size Chevy trucks were known for a problem with the steering shafts and they would get rattle and shake in the steering wheel. My 03 and 05 Silverados had the shafts replaced under warranty with very few miles on both trucks.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,400 Posts
Has there ever been any issues with the steering shafts on the SSRs? Full size Chevy trucks were known for a problem with the steering shafts and they would get rattle and shake in the steering wheel. My 03 and 05 Silverados had the shafts replaced under warranty with very few miles on both trucks.
I have not heard of this issue before. Just means I might have missed it though.

·
Premium Member
19,728 Posts
Check with shiftz33 think he had a noise and it was something about turn signal awitch

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
Do you have the stock 2 bolt, or trailblazer 4 bolt, crossmember under about where the seats are? I found this made a noticeable difference in cowl and steering wheel shake.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I have not heard of this issue before. Just means I might have missed it though.
Supposedly the plastic that they used in the steering shaft that was injected to lock the shaft but able to break away in case of accidents was too weak and would allow them to make noise. They did a recall on the full sized trucks and then there was a second round of bulletins because some of the early repairs had the same problem. My 05 Silverado still makes noise but they told me it was not covered because I had put bigger tires on the truck.

·
Perfectionist
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you have the stock 2 bolt, or trailblazer 4 bolt, crossmember under about where the seats are? I found this made a noticeable difference in cowl and steering wheel shake.
4 bolt

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,073 Posts
If it happens when you hit slight bumps, check the sway bar end links. We have seen a few nuts not tight.... they really make a racket if they are sloppy.

There are a couple disconnect points on the steering column. Check each for security. One under the dash and another at the steering rack... You should be able to grab the shaft and give it a shake to see if it has any play or makes any noise.

Regards,

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts