Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed LoJack or similar Security devices? Seem to me that this vehicle will be high on the theft scale?

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
I had LoJack installed on mine 3 days after I picked it up. Never had to use it yet but it feels good just knowing it's there.

·
Registered
407 Posts
mine came factory installed right from the dealer's lot.
for some strange reason i thought this was fairly standard....

hate to think how i will react if i ever get the dreaded warning call and email that my lojack has been activated.

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
Got it installed before I picked it up. Even if State Farm won't give you a break with it. There's some history in the threads on "OnSTar"- something about nowhere for the antenna, maybe

·
Registered
277 Posts
ricardo said:
mine came factory installed right from the dealer's lot.
for some strange reason i thought this was fairly standard....

hate to think how i will react if i ever get the dreaded warning call and email that my lojack has been activated.
I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the only way Lo-jack get's activated is when we make the call to Lo-jack that our baby is gone and give them the registered number?

D

·
0 Posts
To Late

I only wish i had lojack on my corvette last week when some idiot tried to take it. They did $ 4,950.00 worth of damage to the interior ,dash ,ignition ,wiring, etc, trying to steal it. Allstate has been faboulous and has taken very good care of me on this so far. Must of been an amateur cause they did not know you cant steal a Corvette. Really glad it wasnt my SSR!!

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
lojack

Fred Edick said:
I could be wrong, but I'm thinking the only way Lo-jack get's activated is when we make the call to Lo-jack that our baby is gone and give them the registered number?
That's the basic coverage - for about another $100 - 150 you can have them install the notification option. It will send you emails, phone calls, etc when somebody messes with your truck. Not a bad deal considering you'd have to actually KNOW about somebody boosting the truck to make notification on the basic coverage.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you think Lojack would have helped? It doesn’t prevent anyone from stealing your car, it only tries to track the vehicle down?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fred Edick said:

That is my understanding... I have it installed in my Corvette.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Once you know your truck is gone you contact LoJack. They contact the local PD in the area where you BELIEVE your truck to be. Then, any PD car that has a LoJack tracker INSTALLED, can start to find your truck. I didn't know the fine details before I purchased LoJack. Then I looked for alternatives...

I was searching LoJack on the Web awhile back and found that there is another device that works basically like a cell phone and starts transmitting its location if the truck is stolen. You get on the web, enter your security number and it returns a map with the current location (cell tower) closest to the truck. Then you can assist and tell the PD pretty close to where it is... I forgot the name of the site but I did a search for LoJack on the web using www.dogpile.com and it was one of the search results. I think the price was less than $200 plus a small monthly fee.

I also read up on the Viper alarm system. Audible alarm, plus it will page you when it goes off and shuts the engine off or will keep it from starting. FYI: it can also be programmed to start your truck remotely and raise and lower the roof without having to stand on the brake. Comes with it's own key fob... There is a thread on this site regarding same. In the end, it seems to me the smartest path is to try and prevent the theft in the first place.

·
Registered
407 Posts
the lojack that came factory installed on my SSR is the upgrade version that alerts you if the car has been moved without the attached key-fob (that presumably would be on the key ring if it was you driving).

I didn't know you were supposed to have the key fob with you and after taking the car for a ride i received an email and a cell message.

you are right in that it will not stop a car from being stolen but may assist in locating it quick enough to prevent too much damage.

can any car really be bullet proof from thieves who know what they are doing???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts