Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious. I had my 2004 tuned and was expecting the shift to second to have a little grab, push you back a little. 2nd to 3rd does.
1st to 2nd just slides in and continues on the same plane. Still picking ups speed but more like I would want in a family sedan.

What experiences do you have? What would be considered normal.

When I take the traction control off and get on it hard, it goes to about red line, shifts to 2nd, drops to about 4k rpm and continues increasing speed at what feels to be about the same rate.

There is no g force at shifting, just nice casual shift.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,032 Posts
Where did you get the tune? Something doesn't sound right. Most SSR's after tune snap and get a chirp out of the tires from first to second. Might want a second opinion or a do over. The shifting should be very crisp and firm.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where did you get the tune? Something doesn't sound right. Most SSR's after tune snap and get a chirp out of the tires from fist to second. Might want a second opinion or a do over. The shifting should be very crisp and firm.
Well that's exactly what I thought.
Had it done at the Texas rally.

Really hadn't driven much since then. We are back home from Savannah and are taking it back down there to go to the Daytona Rally.

It's nice and sunny here in the mountains today, so I took it out running some errands before we head back.
I had noticed that shifting pattern before, but never got around to asking about it.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,032 Posts
Well that's exactly what I thought.
Had it done at the Texas rally.

Really hadn't driven much since then. We are back home from Savannah and are taking it back down there to go to the Daytona Rally.

It's nice and sunny here in the mountains today, so I took it out running some errands before we head back.
I had noticed that shifting pattern before, but never got around to asking about it.
If Jeremy did it he is usually right on but might have missed something. Guess I would get on the schedule to talk with him about it and maybe he will want to re-do it and tweak it a little. Something may have changed. He is pretty right on. I talked to the trans guy on the site ( Greg Ducato, Weatherford Texas) and he said to keep the trans healthy the shifts should be crisp and not sloppy. That is hard on the transmission. Good luck.

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,931 Posts
By all means, talk with Joe.... First. He always says to make sure you cancel the TC and then go take it out and abuse it, and then come back and tell Him what you think. I'm Surprised IF He didn't tell you that... He can then tweak your Tune to suit your needs. It isn't a "one tune suits all" type of thing with Joe. He WANTS to tune for just where your Left Brain works.... I remember having to Tune Down because the 3-4 was just Too Hard, but, I did ask to have the shifts Tightened Up... My Bad, that time.... He Wants to see you GRIN ! ....

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
slips

Our 2003 SSR did that, and 3000 miles later the trans cratered. It was stuck in first gear and would only go 30 MPH and free-wheeling. Had Greg build a new one. All is good now.

·
Premium Member
1,953 Posts
Corvette servo?

The trucks have a soft 1/2 shift from GM. If you want that crisp shift from one to two you should have the modified Corvette servo from Greg Ducato at Phoenix Transmission in Weatherford Texas installed. The soft shift causes wear on the bands. You can order it and have it installed locally, usually less than an hour. You can do it your self, but I would highly recommend a professional and a lift do it. $90 to $100 but it is worth it. I had mine installed at 30,000 miles. The fluid had band dust in it, very easy to see. I thought the transmission was toast. The tech called Greg to come down and look at it. He told the tech to flush the transmission and change the filter. No metal in the filter. That was 4/16/2010. The truck now has 66490 miles on it. I am thinking of taking it up to Weatherford and getting them to put a custom stall torque converter and refresh the transmission. Depends on weather the house air conditioner has to be replaced this year. If it does I will wait until next year ( or not).

Send Greg a PM or call him.

Jack

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Shift points and pressures can be adjusted with a tune as stated above. Heck, even my little superchips flashpac in my '04 allows me to adjust shifting to get a nice snap when shifting from 1st to 2nd. Sounds like an adjustment was missed during the tune. Hope that's all it is and your tranny is OK.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,386 Posts
I got the snap in 1/2 with the corvette servo before I go Joe to tune mine and he just wanted to know about it so he did not make it to much. Maybe he just thought you already had the servo.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
I have had two do the same thing, rebuilt trannys in both and I had not abused them. Both were the 4L60E transmission in 05's. Hope its not that for you, very expensive.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,648 Posts
I have had two do the same thing, rebuilt trannys in both and I had not abused them. Both were the 4L60E transmission in 05's. Hope its not that for you, very expensive.
03/04 has 4L60E transmission
05/06 has 4L65E transmission
05/06 Manual is T56 same as Mustang.

Had Jeremy tune mine years ago to firm shift, changed to Amsoil (Recommend synthetic) at 50K now have 127K and running strong.

Dicktator

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies.

Maybe Joe can advise me. We did drive it after it was tuned. I remember the extra pickup, but not sure about the shift. It has only been a couple of days, but I've not heard back from Joe. I'll see what he says.

Maybe I can get Jeremy to check it at Daytona.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
03/04 has 4L60E transmission
05/06 has 4L65E transmission
05/06 Manual is T56 same as Mustang.

Had Jeremy tune mine years ago to firm shift, changed to Amsoil (Recommend synthetic) at 50K now have 127K and running strong.

Dicktator
Yup, typo on my part, your right Dick they were both 4L65E trannys

1 - 14 of 14 Posts