Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SSR
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy an SSR finally! Found one near me in silver with 78,000 miles. Very clean and I checked everything I’ve seen you guys say to check and it all looks good. Price would be 19,621 including tax title and tags. You guys think this is an okay deal? Thanks a lot!!!

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
Premium Member 2004 Smokin' Asphalt
50,794 Posts
Sounds like a fair deal good luck.

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
823 Posts
Looking to buy an SSR finally! Found one near me in silver with 78,000 miles. Very clean and I checked everything I’ve seen you guys say to check and it all looks good. Price would be 19,621 including tax title and tags. You guys think this is an okay deal? Thanks a lot!!!
Not that it would be a deal killer, but what year is the truck and if an '05/06 is it a six speed or automatic? Tires OK?

·
Premium Member
7,680 Posts
Looks like a winner to me "Henny" ... Chrome Rims ??? Christmas is only 103 days away, (give or take a few days) be a nice present !!! BUT CHECK IT OUT !!! (y)(y)(y)(y)(y) 10 uh C cozydog

·
Registered
2004 SSR
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not that it would be a deal killer, but what year is the truck and if an '05/06 is it a six speed or automatic? Tires OK?
Forgot to mention all that! It’s an 04 so just the 5.3 and automatic. Also brand new tires.

·
Registered
2004 SSR
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like a winner to me "Henny" ... Chrome Rims ??? Christmas is only 103 days away, (give or take a few days) be a nice present !!! BUT CHECK IT OUT !!! (y)(y)(y)(y)(y) 10 uh C cozydog
Haha thanks!!! Does have the chrome rims! It’s actually an anniversary surprise for my wife…. I think I’ll get some enjoyment out of it too!!!

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
5,337 Posts
@Henson31, Sounds reasonable to me as well. Meantime---Welcome from Forney Texas. Consider clicking on the Colored Letter/Picture, top far right corner, go down to "Account Settings", click, and fill in your information. Especially your LOCATION and the year of your SSR, like the rest of us. Then go the the left side and click on "Signature". Also put the year of your SSR in your "Signature", when you get it, and anything else you want to show in your posts, and we can help you better if you have a problem. When you finish click the "SAVE" box.

Click here for the "How To Library" OneDrive

Also click on this link and go to Post #1 Help Us Help You---UPDATE

Then go to the "New Member Section" and introduce yourself. New Member Section

Nick & Kathy

·
Registered
2004 SSR
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Henson31, Sounds reasonable to me as well. Meantime---Welcome from Forney Texas. Consider clicking on the Colored Letter/Picture, top far right corner, go down to "Account Settings", click, and fill in your information. Especially your LOCATION and the year of your SSR, like the rest of us. Then go the the left side and click on "Signature". Also put the year of your SSR in your "Signature", when you get it, and anything else you want to show in your posts, and we can help you better if you have a problem. When you finish click the "SAVE" box.

Click here for the "How To Library" OneDrive

Also click on this link and go to Post #1 Help Us Help You---UPDATE

Then go to the "New Member Section" and introduce yourself. New Member Section

Nick & Kathy
Done thank you!!

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
4,803 Posts
When you say "Very clean and I checked everything I’ve seen you guys say to check and it all looks good." What all checks out?
Not to be Debbie Downer but especially if it is to be an anniversary surprise for your wife. I would look at the fan to see if it has been upgraded. Cooling system to see if it has been flushed and kept up. There are some things you can't see easily like the shifter linkage upgrade or the heat shield. So I would try to have a little reserve set back to either do these things right away or do as soon as I could. Nothing will sour a new car for someone like it breaking downright away. The fan is the most expensive on the short list of what should be done. The other stuff is not that expensive. Maybe you can ask the dealer and use it for a bargaining tool to get an even better deal.

Added thoughts to look at
And check out the top. Does it have the noticeable clunk when it lowers the last couple of inches? Sign it will need lift cylinders replaced. Just another thing to use to maybe get a better deal. Most dealers won't know about it, if it is normal or not. So be prepared to educate them on it. Check the roof storage compartment for any fluid or leaks. If they have a car wash on sight or close by ask to run it through then check for leaks inside the truck. Floors, roof storage area and bed area.

·
Registered
2004 SSR
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
When you say "Very clean and I checked everything I’ve seen you guys say to check and it all looks good." What all checks out?
Not to be Debbie Downer but especially if it is to be an anniversary surprise for your wife. I would look at the fan to see if it has been upgraded. Cooling system to see if it has been flushed and kept up. There are some things you can't see easily like the shifter linkage upgrade or the heat shield. So I would try to have a little reserve set back to either do these things right away or do as soon as I could. Nothing will sour a new car for someone like it breaking downright away. The fan is the most expensive on the short list of what should be done. The other stuff is not that expensive. Maybe you can ask the dealer and use it for a bargaining tool to get an even better deal.
No hard feelings here I asked for opinions! What I checked on the lot were things like hydraulics, water leaks, how clean the engine bay has been kept, tires, brakes, function of the top and the bed. Also checked the service history that has been kept updated. Whenever I buy a higher mileage older vehicle I always have the expectation that minor things will need done for sure. They are also offering me a 3 month 50/50 warranty just in case something goes wrong. I appreciate all the information!

·
Slingshot Rules!
81,120 Posts
Any and/or All Used Vehicle Purchases can be a "Crap Shoot" at best, Adam . . .

In addition to the mileage . . . what is the overall interior appearance and how many previous owners are points to consider. Also, is the the first SSR you've checked out or . . . ?

WELCOME and Good Luck.

! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: !

·
High Plains Roadster
286 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I have an '05 automatic in the same classiest SSR color as the one you are looking at and with about the same mileage. My experience is that the SSR has relatively few systemic problems. Those it has are well known by folks on this forum and can be handled.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
4,803 Posts
Now for the bigger question, how will the wife like it for an anniversary gift? My wife got me my first SSR for a Christmas gift back in 2019 after I had told her about it and taken her by to see it about a dozen times at the car dealer. It was the biggest surprise ever when it was in the driveway on Christmas morning.

·
Premium Member
2005 SSR
20 Posts
I purchased mine last Fall with very similar miles and same color for almost exact same price. mine is an 05. Mine had not been updated with the Simple Engineering fan and I had one overheat issue so replaced that and no problems since . Also I just had to replace the top fluid reservoir this week. Similarly you may need to do some updates but I feel I got an excellent deal. I think once you drive it and immediately start getting people staring at it and positive comments you will see you’ve made the right choice. Silver is also the best color!! I was at the Metro Cruise here in Grand Rapids MI and had lots of comments that the Silver would be their color of choice as well 🤪. Actually in my opinion any “R” is the right “R”. Buy it and enjoy the permagrin.

·
Super Moderator
14,173 Posts
Condition, Mileage & Title Status #1 in importance:
I would like to see it have:
Chrome Wheels (14P)
Gauges (ERG or ERH)
Boards (BVE or BVF
Carpeted Cargo (ERK)

This stuff can vary the value a lot, but at $19k and even @ 78k I am not so sure if an 05 can drop much lower right now if clean.
However, if plain jane, satin wheels, no boards, no gauges, no carpeted cargo - at that mileage I think it is too high.

·
Daily Driver
9,211 Posts
Don't mind CASH, Henson, he's big on the useless frills like gages that aren't accurate, you can't read while moving, and when they fail disable the truck. And carpeted bed which looks lovely but precludes carry anything but pre-wrapped gifts.
But he is a nice guy and very helpful just fixated of frills. :p

Oh boy, am I in trouble now. Well not now but when the border opens.:LOL:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts