Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening Fanatics.
Newer generation SSR fan (Born in 80’s..)
I’m looking to purchase my
Car Show/Garage Queen.
I’ve scrimped and saved in order to pay cash for my SSR.
Right now.... ONLY interested in 05-06 with Low Low miles (12k miles or less)..
Black or Silver preferred...
Red also considered.. No blue or yellow.. As amazing as these colors are, my father in law has a yellow thunderbird and his buddy has a blue prowler.
Prefer to be different from their colors...
Open to either 6 speed or automatic..
I also prefer stock as possible in regards to aftermarket accessories (prefer to customize my own: lower, exhaust, wheels, lighting, etc)
Look forward to bringing this amazing vehicle to the attention of my fellow millennials, and carrying its appeal to the generations beyond!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Greetings from New Mexico, Matt. Welcome to the fold. As SSR's are usually very well maintained, you might consider loosening your milage requirements. You'll find some awesome trucks with 30 to 40K miles on them and save some serious $$$. Just sayin.
Good luck with your search.
Wizzr.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greetings from New Mexico, Matt. Welcome to the fold. As SSR's are usually very well maintained, you might consider loosening your milage requirements. You'll find some awesome trucks with 30 to 40K miles on them and save some serious $$$. Just sayin.
Good luck with your search.
Wizzr.
Appreciate the welcome Wizzr.
I definitely can appreciate the fact that the members here take immaculate care of their SSR’s.
The mileage preference may change as time goes by... I know they are meant to be driven and enjoyed, so finding these cars won’t be easy..
However, being the first car of my “collection”, I’d definitely prefer a more unicorn type SSR with ultra low miles.

·
BLU SSR
2,151 Posts
Welcome from Illinois.
The low mileage SSR that you are looking for is out there, but as Wizzr says, the dent in your wallet will be inversely proportional to the amount of miles! Enjoy your search, and consider Fanatic owned SSRs at the top of your list.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
27,464 Posts
Appreciate the welcome Wizzr.
I definitely can appreciate the fact that the members here take immaculate care of their SSR’s.
The mileage preference may change as time goes by... I know they are meant to be driven and enjoyed, so finding these cars won’t be easy..
However, being the first car of my “collection”, I’d definitely prefer a more unicorn type SSR with ultra low miles.
I have to agree with the others that mileage, especially on a Fanatic owned SSR, should not be as big a deal breaker. I wonder where you are in AZ since there are quite a few Fanatics in that great state that might be willing to share their knowledge and insight when you find the one you want. You might start making friends while you are searching.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Hey Matt welcome to the group good luck on finding your "garage Queen" I am sure there's one out there that will be what your looking for. They just auctioned off a 05 with less then 7,000 miles for $46,000 plus the buyers fee, as you see the cost of living goes up as the miles get lower on these trucks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome from Illinois.
The low mileage SSR that you are looking for is out there, but as Wizzr says, the dent in your wallet will be inversely proportional to the amount of miles! Enjoy your search, and consider Fanatic owned SSRs at the top of your list.
Thanks SSReplay.
After reading many of the posts on here, it’s clear this is definitely the “go to” place for anything SSR.
I have to agree with the others that mileage, especially on a Fanatic owned SSR, should not be as big a deal breaker. I wonder where you are in AZ since there are quite a few Fanatics in that great state that might be willing to share their knowledge and insight when you find the one you want. You might start making friends while you are searching.
Hi BlueStreak.. I’m in the Phoenix area in the suburbs of Chandler/Gilbert.
I did notice that Simple Engineering is located out here so that seems to be super fortunate.
When I do fine my beauty....
What are the “go to” options for her that assist in the overall experience?
I am definitely going to eliminate the rake in the back and probably lower a smidge more. Is there a preferred suspension kit? I thought simple engineering was making something?
Also looking at Corsa exhaust and probably some newer wheels.
I did see a fellow fanatic who dremeled out the Chevrolet sign and backlit it?
Love to do that as I’m going to color match the front grille and running boards.
Anyway.... Whatever great aftermarket options are out there, I’m game for!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Matt welcome to the group good luck on finding your "garage Queen" I am sure there's one out there that will be what your looking for. They just auctioned off a 05 with less then 7,000 miles for $46,000 plus the buyers fee, as you see the cost of living goes up as the miles get lower on these trucks.
Thanks PurpleHaze!! I was at Barrett this week and saw two go there.
The hunt is definitely half the fun!

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
27,464 Posts
www.simple-engineering.com is the go to spot in AZ. Just look at the web site and drool. Then send a Conversation to @Mike in AZ when you have a shopping list. You might be surprised what he can share with you about your ideas. He has tried a lot.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
"Go to" options? Here's a start...
Pro tune.
Radiator fan upgrade.
New ignition switch.
ABS heat shield.
Rear end gear swap.
Radiator support.
Corvette tranny servo.
Exhaust upgrade.
Bed cover light upgrade.
Front frame stiffener.
Fresh tires.
Auto shift linkage upgrade.
Mikes exhaust tips.
Supercharger.
Be careful. SSR's are like Harley's. Buying one can be just the cost of admission.
Spend some time reading threads here to get more info.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Welcome to the club! Not sure how far you are willing to travel for your SSR but there is a 2005 black SSR in Sacramento for sale with 7000 miles on it. Automatic. The are asking $27,500. It is listed on Facebook marketplace

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"Go to" options? Here's a start...
Pro tune.
Radiator fan upgrade.
New ignition switch.
ABS heat shield.
Rear end gear swap.
Radiator support.
Corvette tranny servo.
Exhaust upgrade.
Bed cover light upgrade.
Front frame stiffener.
Fresh tires.
Mikes exhaust tips.
Supercharger.
Be careful. SSR's are like Harley's. Buying one can be just the cost of admission.
Spend some time reading threads here to get more info.
Thanks Wizzr.
Mike @ SImple Engineering seems to be a good place to start.
As I read more, the “extras” can become overwhelming..
I’m attempting to delineate between necessities for safe and reliable driving compared to fun adds...
I’ve heard several times about the ignition switch, radiator fan, and corvette tranny being almost a necessity....
How important are the remaining
(Meaning you, as an educated owner, these items significantly improve the daily drivability & reliability’s compared to just being a fun option)
ABS heat shield.
Rear end gear swap.
Radiator Support
Bed cover light upgrade— is original no good?
Front frame stiffener.
Thanks Again for taking the time to educate this Freshman...

·
AZ SSR Daily Driver
494 Posts
"I’m in the Phoenix area in the suburbs of Chandler/Gilbert." I live in the south Tempe area....feel free to send me a PM and we can have coffee. I have a lot of MikeinAZ's stuff on my truck and do most of the work myself. It is my daily driver.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
We look forward to having you as a part of the Fanatic Family! In regards to the necessary upgrades in my opinion. I have had 2 automatics and have had no need to upgrade the tranny or changing gears for normal driving. The fan upgrade, ignition switch, abs shield and shift linkage change is really important. The radiator support is also important. Many have hit a small animal and broken the OEM plastic radiator support causing damage to the radiator. Simple engineerings solid steel support is an inexpensive upgrade that will save your radiator from hitting the ground. The bed cover light upgrade is also important and inexpensive considering that numerous fires or near fires have happened. All other things could easily wait and not hinder your driving enjoyment! Hope this helps!
Now get that truck bought and begin enjoying that perma-grin! 😁

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Welcome to the club! Not sure how far you are willing to travel for your SSR but there is a 2005 black SSR in Sacramento for sale with 7000 miles on it. Automatic. The are asking $27,500. It is listed on Facebook marketplace
Thank You jrgs55.
I just sent them a message.
Not a big Facebook person, so hopefully my message will get through. Thanks Again and I’ll let you know!
We look forward to having you as a part of the Fanatic Family! In regards to the necessary upgrades in my opinion. I have had 2 automatics and have had no need to upgrade the tranny or changing gears for normal driving. The fan upgrade, ignition switch, abs shield and shift linkage change is really important. The radiator support is also important. Many have hit a small animal and broken the OEM plastic radiator support causing damage to the radiator. Simple engineerings solid steel support is an inexpensive upgrade that will save your radiator from hitting the ground. The bed cover light upgrade is also important and inexpensive considering that numerous fires or near fires have happened. All other things could easily wait and not hinder your driving enjoyment! Hope this helps!
Now get that truck bought and begin enjoying that perma-grin! 😁
Thanks HUAW.. Exactly what I was looking for as far as advice.
Those small tips help alleviate potential major frustrations that I, as a newbie, don’t want to run in to if they can be avoided.
The experience from everyone here is 10 fold over anything/anyone else on the web.
Thanks Again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"I’m in the Phoenix area in the suburbs of Chandler/Gilbert." I live in the south Tempe area....feel free to send me a PM and we can have coffee. I have a lot of MikeinAZ's stuff on my truck and do most of the work myself. It is my daily driver.
Will do SSRNoir.
I know you do most of your work by yourself. However if known, I’d love to chat about anyone trustworthy that I can take her to for some of these upgrades/mods. I’m probably not the one who will be performing them.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Matt, for AZ I would also add the AC Thermistor modification as a must do, as it allows the AC to run cooler in the cab. Another mod you might want is the spare tire carrier, if you intend to do any travelling.

If you decide you can handle a few more miles, I have an '05 Silver Automatic in Vegas, that already has nearly all of the above referenced mods, including Supercharger ( 525 hp!), plus a few more- like Spare Tire and Carrier. Here's a link to an old ad. '05 Silver. I haven't pushed the sale, but I'm only driving it 1000 miles or less per year, and could use the room for other projects.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts