Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04, with chrome wheels, has loose wheel centers.
I have popped them off to make sure the arrow lines up with the valve stem.
Has anyone come up with a good 'tape' to lay in the wheel-groove and tighten things up a little. If so, use the tape just in spots or all the way around?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
loose wheel centers

SA13355 said:
My 04, with chrome wheels, has loose wheel centers.
I have popped them off to make sure the arrow lines up with the valve stem.
Has anyone come up with a good 'tape' to lay in the wheel-groove and tighten things up a little. If so, use the tape just in spots or all the way around?

Thanks
My dealer fixed mine. Said there was a service bulletin that required a special tape, and they haven't turned since. I haven't pulled one to see the tape, either.
Don

·
Registered
45 Posts
Funny you should ask today....I was detailing mine today and came in to look up on the forum for some good suggestions...I avoid the Chevy dealers like the plaque. Anyway I found a post by "Subman576" where he suggested putting duct tape around all the clips to tighten the thing up. Well, I laughed at myself this afternoon for putting duct tape on my truck that listed for over $48k...but it did work quite well. I just put some on, tried it...and then kept putting a little more on, till they were good and tight. Thanks Subman576! :flag

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
100 mph tape

Thanks for the fun input.
Sometimes I take things too seriously.

I just heard today that we really only need two tools to get through everything in life.

WD40, to make it go.

Duct tape, to make it stay.

And there we have it. :thumbs

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
WD40... Yech!

Now you did it! :) Punched a big button.

WD40, Yech. :eek

Penetrates and lubricates then evaporates leaving a varnish that's a worse problem than previousley existed. In a way it's a good product, once used, it has to be used over and over and over to keep the varnish from gumming things up. Great for sales of WD40. Bad for the equipment.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wd40

Now that you have peaked our interest Beer, pray tell, what would one use to out preform that other stuff?

·
Registered
102 Posts
loose wheel centers

Fixed mine on my new 04 the other day and wanted to drive it a while to make sure it was the cure. I used some small felt pads for protecting table tops from getting scratched placed in them. They have self adhesive backs and I just stuck one under the wire pressure band that's supposed to apply enough pressure to keeps the caps on tight. It only 1 on each of the 2 loose caps I had to do the trick. I'd rather do that then risk a scratch or worse taking my SSR in to the dealer for a fix.

:thumbs

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hpdjv

that's a good tip. I am worried about duct tape seperating and just leaving the adhesive. That's always nasty.

The tabs should stay in place even with removal and install several times.
Thanks. :cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts