Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
Can I replace my low beam headlamp H11 bulb with a 9006 bulb ?
They are both rated at 55 watts.

A friend of mine has a pair of Sylvania SilverStar 9005 and 9006 he can give me.
9005 will work in Hi-beam.

Thank you,
Pretzel~

·
Registered
421 Posts
Nope

Low Beam is H11-55W

High Beam is 900SXS or 900SXSST or 900SXSCB

·
Registered
110 Posts
Headlight adjustment

I lowered my truck bout 2". The headlights don't seem to work to well. I was wondering if there is some kind of adjustment? Do alot of driving at nite in the moutain passes. They weren't all that even before I lowered it.

Thanks Paul

·
Registered
43 Posts
Headlights

I just put Blue bulbs in my fog lights an ordered H11 for Low Beams they will be 80 watts instead of 55 stock. I case you don't know how to change them out, you need to jack the front up and turn the wheels in and remove the access plate inside the wheel well. Just twist the base 1/4 turn and remove from socket. Do not touch the bulbs.
"SCOTTY"
BLURSSR

:ssr :ssr :ssr :ssr :ssr :ssr :ssr :ssr
:leaving

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,105 Posts
Fog Light Bulb

Bad_Bob said:
What's the bulb in the fog lamp? I couldn't find the spec in the owner's manual.
The bulb us an "898". Similar to the 27 watt "880" with a right angle plug. The 898 is a German made 37.5 watt Phillips product that looks to be hard to find. I have done a little searching and come up empty. Has anyone found a replacement (same or brighter) for it?

Mike

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,105 Posts
[QUOTE="Scotty" Scott]I just put Blue bulbs in my fog lights an ordered H11 for Low Beams they will be 80 watts instead of 55 stock. I case you don't know how to change them out, you need to jack the front up and turn the wheels in and remove the access plate inside the wheel well. Just twist the base 1/4 turn and remove from socket. Do not touch the bulbs.
"SCOTTY"
BLURSSR

:ssr :ssr :ssr :ssr :ssr :ssr :ssr :ssr
:leaving[/QUOTE]

Scotty,

I just put in a set of PIAA replacements for the H11 and found only a slight difference. What brand did you order?

I also dropped in a set of Silverstar 9005XSST and they are much better.

Did you find a good replacement for the 898 fog lamp????

Mike

·
Registered
43 Posts
Bulbs

Hi,
The Zenon Blue Lites I used for fog lites were made by CPR Phase 2. Model #881. 50 w 4300 K. They cost $14 for the pair. The H11 are are 80 w,same price. I hope they will be ok.

·
Registered
500 Posts
fog

I used the Nokiya 891 hyper-yellow fog. It's a 27 w bulb but the affect of the yellow and blue/white is pretty cool.There is a distinct line where the two meet and the yellow seems to cut the fog better.I'm using the Nokiya 100 w h-11 and 9005xs.Thee high beam is super blue.Not sure if iI like it.Probably looks cool coming the other way but doesn't seem to illuminate very well.

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Fwiw.....

There is a good reason yellow is used for fog lights. Your eye has different response to the 7 colors of the light spectrum. Eye response is between 4800 nanometers (blue) and 7200 nanometers (red). They eye response is best at 5500 nanometers where color yellow resides.

In foggy conditions the eye sees farther when looking at yellow light. Hence yellow fog lights.

P/P

Peace :flag

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
From what you are saying the watt size doesnt' really matter if you want to go higher with new ones? I don't want to have to rewire anything just plug it in!

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,105 Posts
Wildcat -

You can replace the 9005XS (original equipment high beam) with a Sylvania SilverStar 9005XSST without regard for anything. It produces more light for the same current draw and does not require any changes to anything. The same goes for the PIAA replacement for the H11 in the low beam position. The PIAAs are pricey, but do put out more light than the OE bulb. I am still trying to find a good replacement for the 898 used in the fog lamps.

Generally speaking, you will not have to rewire anything, unless you go to something that will melt down your lenses......

Mike

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Thanks :thumbs That is what I will do then. We don't get much fog in Texas but might try those yellow, they will match the truck too! :lol

·
Registered
500 Posts
yellow fog.

Hey wildcat,
If you do decide to do the yellow Nokia 891 bulbs, make sure you order the 891! for some reason, the one that they specify, is a straight end and we need a 90 degree end plug.
I had to send them back and reorder the correct bulb after having to convince the expert on the other end of the phone that he was wrong.Ad you know how much fun that can be.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Fog Lights

My OEM fog lights were 880s, which I replaced with the 880ST Sylvania Silverstar.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Bright Night

I replaced the OEM low beams with PIAA H11.

I replaced the OEM high beams with Sylvania 9005SXSST Silverstars.

I replaced the OEM fog lights with Sylvania 880ST Silverstars.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,105 Posts
Great Minds think alike

matjow said:
I replaced the OEM low beams with PIAA H11.

I replaced the OEM high beams with Sylvania 9005SXSST Silverstars.

I replaced the OEM fog lights with Sylvania 880ST Silverstars.
I did exactly the same thing. The PIAAs were pretty pricey, but I really like 'em.

I'm still not convinced that the 880STs give much over the 898s though.

Livin' Life Large - WITH LIGHT

Mike

·
Registered
62 Posts
ron dickson

i have lowered vin #1422 1-1/2"+ and i also thought prior to lowering the ssr the lights were not as good as i had hoped they would be. i have also tried every light combo that i have seen on this thread and the soultion for me was a hid kit for the low beams, i have adjusted the lights and i don't seem to be bothering the other drivers. the kit was 399.95 comes complete with everything nessary to install. regards ron

1 - 20 of 48 Posts