Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought a poll on this might be interesting but it seems only admin can do polls so here's goes in the general topics section....

How many of you are concerned about keeping miles off your SSR? Do you tend to only drive it at "special" times or weekends only in an effort to keep the miles down? Are low miles a critical factor to you?

Verses.

How many of you drive your SSR every chance you get? You're ready to go do something and you grab your SSR keys as you head out the door. Mileage be damned.

I don't think either is right or wrong... just a different way to think about things.

So... which are you?

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Mine is a garage Queen and only go out for a ride on a nice day on the weekend when it isn't to hot in Florida. Then we go to Rally's and enjoy that part of it. I have owned my 2005 since April 2015 and have put 6,000 miles. Total now is 39,000.

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
2,689 Posts
Miles be damned! Mines a daily driver (except in winter when salt is out). Put 8,000 on in 2017. Smiles per gallon is really good in the R!

·
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's
1,672 Posts
These trucks are Sooooooooo much fun to drive! Those that winter in Arizona have an advantage in no salt, no sand, no icy roads in the south. I have a friend that has a '06 Black over Silver and you'd never know it has 70,000+ miles on the Odometer it looks awesome, but he's not afraid to drive it!

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
1,024 Posts
DAILY DRIVER (with emphasis on "DAILY DRIVER")! I jump into it EVERY CHANCE I GET ... even if I don't really have anywhere to go. Top down and radio up! I put 30,000 miles on it in the past 27 months. Stays out in the driveway every night and gets a quick cleaning (at least a good drying) every morning.

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
1,024 Posts
These trucks are Sooooooooo much fun to drive! Those that winter in Arizona have an advantage in no salt, no sand, no icy roads in the south. I have a friend that has a '06 Black over Silver and you'd never know it has 70+ miles on the Odometer it looks awesome, but he's not afraid to drive it!
So your friend has between 71 and 79 miles on his 2006 SSR? - HA!

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,973 Posts
Mike Joy, NASCAR and Barret Jackson has 03 Yellow at NH track.

We asked about mileage when he came on our site, look it up, he said mileage doesn't matter, you have a collector car, they don't make them anymore.

Dicktator

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,075 Posts
Wizzr
How about none of the above.

I drive mine when I can. I worry about where it's going to be parked, weather, etc.

But, I DON'T worry about the mileage I'm putting on it.

I bought it to enjoy. I want to keep it nice and drive it at the same time.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
2006 Pacific Blue times 23198 & 21474
28,573 Posts
Daily driver since I retired. Before that I was afraid to take it to work because of the Line trucks in the parking lot. Now over 236,000 miles and going strong (48 states and 7 provinces) but the second one gets driven at least once a month so it is always ready to go if needed.

·
Premium Member
6,489 Posts
I'd say I'm I fair weather driver. My only problem with driving a lot of miles is if the Damn insurance company somehow finds out they raise the rate.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am with AutoProf, neither of the above is my attitude on driving my SSR. I don't care much about the milage on it. I care most about keeping it pristine. I drive it when the weather is right and consider where I am going and where it will be parked. Let me clarify, the pristine is for ME not some future buyer. It will never go to Wal Mart or any parking lot for that matter. If it is not near perfect I don't want it. If it is dinged, scratched, worn looking I lose my permagrin and it will go.

·
Daily Driver
8,958 Posts
Every day, no garage, including several winter trips to western MA and Cape Cod in the winter every year. I'm a driver, not a collector.

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
3,343 Posts
I drive my truck when I can. Being in Missouri they salt the roads when snow or ice are in the forecast and I don't drive it then. I bought it to drive and even liked that it was not a low mileage truck when I got it compared to a lot of trucks. But for the year it is low mileage. It only has 120,000 miles on it. By SSR standards that maybe high, by normal cars mileage it is less than 10,000 a year.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just got my '06 and it had low miles. I am using it as a daily driver, but I don't drive much and hoping to keep the milage down. I do have a garage at home and at work.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I can appreciate both sides of the topic.

Over the years, I have built several garage queens. Although it wasn't about mileage so much, I didn't want to drive them for fear of doing even the tiniest damage.

As I've aged, I've realized how short of a time we have here, and that I better enjoy what I can now! And driving them is the most important part of ownership to me.

As such, I plan to throttle the snot out of my SSR until the wheels fall off. Mileage be damned! Then, God willing, go buy another one and do it again!

Cars and wine.... so many of them, so little time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm mixed. A daily driver for about 3 years, then worried about driving the wheels off. Then in 2014 a daily driver. Now just once a week to keep it happy.

·
Premium Member
9,769 Posts
Just about like a motorcycle , if the weather is good enough for a bike ride then it's the SSR unless I'm hauling lots of bodies...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts