Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to find one of the original plastic lower radiator supports that someone will lend me or sell cheap. I would like to fabricate one myself as that's what I do. Anyone have one they will lend out? Just for me to take measurements off? Or sell one pretty cheap?
3 days and counting till we fly to Iowa to pick up our SSR!!!!!!:grin2::blur:

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I have my plastic one and saving it as a spare, but I would be willing to trace it out on large paper so you would have the dimensions and basically paper templates if you wanted.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Why bother,Mike in AZ sells a steel one that fits perfectly at simple-engineering.com.
Agree with xoxoxoBruce "He probably wants the satisfaction of doing it himself" tennesseecozydog :ssr Used to build primitive reproduction furniture out of Pine 2x4's and Pine 1x12's. Built a primitive Bucket Bench one time using all non electric hand tools. Then I built a Pine End Table Top for a Singer Sewing Machine stand using nothing but 1x2's to make it look like a Butcher Block top (with storage underneath for magazines) ... did it just for the fun and satisfaction. Daughter still has the End Table and I admire it every time I walk by it, gave the Bucket Bench to a friend as a Wedding gift ... then he moved Texas !!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Premium Member
2,190 Posts
:|

While the orig poster here might in fact get some personal satisfaction out of making his own (plastic) lower radiator support, a question becomes............Does that really make good sense given what I think we have learned about the front suspension and possible problems of breakage of that support.:nerd:

Now if he does that and then adds one of Mikes front stiffening plates........that might protect the plastic support and all would be well.

Mike would be a good source for answering how "practical" this re-making of a plastic part would be.:smile2:

Yeah, it's gonna be his new ride and his decision, but if he were looking for any opinions......I'd vote.........No, not the thing to do.:surprise:

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,370 Posts
:|

While the orig poster here might in fact get some personal satisfaction out of making his own (plastic) lower radiator support, a question becomes...........
Hmmmm-- I had not thought about it that way, that he was going to make another Plastic one !?! I assumed he was going to Fabricate a steel one!?

Nick

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,062 Posts
I need to find one of the original plastic lower radiator supports that someone will lend me or sell cheap. I would like to fabricate one myself as that's what I do. Anyone have one they will lend out? Just for me to take measurements off? Or sell one pretty cheap?
3 days and counting till we fly to Iowa to pick up our SSR!!!!!!:grin2::blur:
I see several options for acquiring a used OEM lower radiator support. As a last resort, you can pull the one off of your SSR and support the radiator by tying it up to the fender on each side while you measure it.

Back in 2007, when I cloned the OEM support, I purchased a new one from the dealership for pattern. What we found was that the brand new, fresh out of the box, OEM unit had already taken a distorted shape...... even before mounting. I chose to NOT copy the bowed span and warped ears.

As a fabricator, you will instinctively see the critical dimensions.......... But if you need any input, please feel free to contact me. I’m happy to share my “lessons learned”.

Enjoy the ride home,

Mike Moro
480-225-2123

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey All,
Thanks for the replies. I should have been more specific. I have been fabricating steel, Stainless, and aluminum for years. I plan on building mine from either stainless or aluminum. Depending what this part looks like (I've never seen one) Let's see if I can attach a pic of an all aluminum trailer I built with independent suspension to pull behind a Goldwing. Just 1 of MANY things I have built from scratch. Our son drives an 81 Delorean and he is always coming to Dad to ask, Dad, can you make me one of these out of stainless for my car??
So I am not planning on making another plastic one, seems there are too many of them out there already. I would use the plastic one AND my car to verify measurements before building a fixture to build a new one. Thanks all!

Attachments

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt #11150
44,450 Posts
Hey All,
Thanks for the replies. I should have been more specific. I have been fabricating steel, Stainless, and aluminum for years. I plan on building mine from either stainless or aluminum. Depending what this part looks like (I've never seen one) Let's see if I can attach a pic of an all aluminum trailer I built with independent suspension to pull behind a Goldwing. Just 1 of MANY things I have built from scratch. Our son drives an 81 Delorean and he is always coming to Dad to ask, Dad, can you make me one of these out of stainless for my car??
So I am not planning on making another plastic one, seems there are too many of them out there already. I would use the plastic one AND my car to verify measurements before building a fixture to build a new one. Thanks all!
Nice !!!!!!!!!! :thumbs

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I wanted to do one out of carbon fiber but decided against that. I would do it in aluminum if I were going to do my own. I was going to but then one of the Fanatics sold his truck and had the radiator support left over, so he made me a good deal on it. Take some pictures of the project as it is coming along for those of us who like to fab stuff.

·
Daily Driver
8,940 Posts
Damn, independant suspension on that narrow wheelbase... impressive. :thumbs

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks xoxoxoBruce,
The dude I built it for says he forgets its back there as it handles so well.
I recommended he not forget it, could be hazardous for him!

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was waiting for Mother Nature to remove all the clouds and warm the air before I drain the coolant system, remove the radiator, install a new thermostat & build my lower radiator cross brace. That way the coolant system will be all new. Plus I can POR 15 all the steel around the area.
Calook

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
You sir have some skills. I can do wood,my my metal skills lack because of equipment. I envy you.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,062 Posts
I was waiting for Mother Nature to remove all the clouds and warm the air before I drain the coolant system, remove the radiator, install a new thermostat & build my lower radiator cross brace. That way the coolant system will be all new. Plus I can POR 15 all the steel around the area.
Calook
Removing the radiator without removing the condenser at the same time is very, very difficult to do. The “standard” GM procedure is to drain the coolant AND the Freon.... before pulling them out as a single unit. The reason is that the Freon lines pass under the passenger tank of the radiator with very little clearance.

There is no reason to remove the radiator when replacing the lower radiator support. Just tie the radiator “up” so that it won’t drop whe you pull the support out from under it. You’ll save yourself a LOT of extra work.

Again, call if I can help.....

Mike

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,650 Posts
We just "threw" away 5 OEM radiator supports at Tech Day in Deltona! Could have one of them.

I think I have four or five OEM Plastic rad supports kicking around.

I wouldn't make one out of plastic, carbon fiber or aluminum, why? To much flex!

Don't make frames out of that material for a reason.

I am old fashion I guess, STEEL works for me.

SSR HOW TO LIBRARY:

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

Dicktator

I will take STEEL, thankyou very much.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts