Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody attempted shortening the rear coils by cutting them off 1.6" I would really like to drop the rear, but I don't want to sacrifice the ride. Trailblazer rear springs (used) should be easy to come by, so I will probably try this unless someone has a better idea. Also right now the running boards appear to be about level, if the rear is dropped will the boards be obviously lower in the rear? :ssr :thumbs

·
Premium Member
9,382 Posts
The Eibach springs lower the SSR 1" front and 1.6" rear. Although shorter, they have significantly more coils than the stock springs. If anything, the ride is smoother - certainly not harsh.

I don't think I'd bother trying to shorten the springs - you wouldn't have the flattened area to sit into the cup. I think that was tried before by someone on this site, and the results weren't great.

When I took mine in for lowering, the job was done in less than 1 hour, plus alignment time.

Ray

·
Registered
893 Posts
Do it right the first time

Do it the right way the first time.......Flassh is right......if you cut the coil ....the ride will definately be more harsh.......I did the rear only with Eibach springs.....and really like it....still have a rake.......Truck looks right , now... :seeya

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
Cutting the springs is not a good idea. This would change the fit to the spring pockets. Also, at full rebound the springs might come out. Your best bet is to buy springs that are made for this. Another alternative might be Trailblazer SS springs. They are probably lower, but I do not know that for a fact.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are the Eibach rear springs shorter than the stock springs, or are the same length to start with but compress more when the initial weight is put on them ? :thumbs

·
Registered
893 Posts
The right way

Bill, There's a right way and a wrong way............The right way is a lowering spring made to do just that...it fits where it supposed to and how it supposed to.......Makes no difference if it's Eibach or Ground Force......Gett'em ....put'em in and be happy........they ride great.......handling is somewhat improved........Now if you want to short change your baby for the sake of a little money......well then do that ......I don't think you'll be happy with the out :seeya come.......I don't think you'll find anybody in here going for the cut job.... :seeya

·
Premium Member
9,382 Posts
I looked at the two spring sets before they were installed - the Eibachs were close in overall length - wasn't sure how they would lower the truck 1.6" However, with the additional coils, the Eibachs squatted down just right.

Ray

·
Registered
893 Posts
Rears only

I bought them that way............I called Eibach......Talked to Pete...... :seeya THEY CAN SEND YOU TO SOMEONE........Depends on where you are........

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Mcvett2

Bell Teck has a kit to lower :ssr about 3in. in back and 2in. in front . Kit # 141 for the 02 to 04 Trailblazer, has 4 new springs and two new front shocks for about $325. Does not mess up the ride.

·
Jim-n-Tanya
1,354 Posts
Lowering

Is the stance lower than the other guys. I have always used Bell Tech on my other rides, but I want to make sure the trailblazer is compatable because of the difference in the weight of the two vehicles.

Please send pics

Thanks

02-05 Chevy Trail Blazer & GMC Envoy 2" 3" 140 141 Front and Rear Coil Springs, Rear Shocks

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
I agree with Whitewolf,don't cut the springs,go get a set made for it.I lowered my Avalanche with Eibach springs and they were great.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bell Tech

mcvett2 said:
Bell Teck has a kit to lower :ssr about 3in. in back and 2in. in front . Kit # 141 for the 02 to 04 Trailblazer, has 4 new springs and two new front shocks for about $325. Does not mess up the ride.
I used the Bell Tech springs, and it sits right now!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I plan on lowering just the rear of my 05 SSR on Monday with Eibach springs. The instructions call for taking 25MM off the top of bumpstops. Is this necessary and has anyone replaced them without the bumpstop trim?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Trim it

ssr 05 said:
I plan on lowering just the rear of my 05 SSR on Monday with Eibach springs. The instructions call for taking 25MM off the top of bumpstops. Is this necessary and has anyone replaced them without the bumpstop trim?

****When I did mine......I did't trim the bump stop......as I wanted to see if it needed it.........Mine rides fine.......But I think it wouldn't hurt to trim them....Will probably do mine later......:seeya

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SSR 05
I bought a set of the Eibachs for the rear also but have not installed them yet
( snowed in ) let me know how it looks, or post before and after pics.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Pics

Bill Scott said:
SSR 05

This all I have right now.....not sure it showes what you want......:seeya

I

·
0 Posts
Did you put the bell tech kit on your ssr? And did it lower the front 2" and the back 3"? I put the ground force springs on my ssr about 1.2" lower in the front and about 1.6" in the rear. I'm asking about the bell tech kit because I would like it lower. Thanks......

·
Registered
135 Posts
Bill Scott said:
SSR 05

Just picked up the lowered SSR. It went down 2 1/2". There is no space between the tire and the fender opening on the top now. Looks almost level. Just a hair higher in the back. Had the lake pipes installed also. If I do say so myself it looks great. Some day I will figure out how to post pictures here. I can e-mail them if anyone is interested. Just send your e-mail address.
Tom

1 - 20 of 21 Posts