Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello SSRheads!

We're the guys who designed and built the Detroit Enduro (with a lot of body help from Axiiom Design Solutions)! Perhaps we'll meet up with you on the Power Tour or Goodguys (Columbus)...who knows?

With regard to lowering, we were not happy with the ride height offered from Ground Force (we had a bad experience with this company once) or Eibach, so we went to our buddies @ Belltech and screwed around with three or four designs....The good folks at Axiom did the backbreaking work. Never change springs without front & rear alignment after the job is done!!

Anyway, we ended up with a set that gave us a 2.5"x4"(front/rear) drop without anything hitting or rubbing. I will admit that we ended up with 18" front and 19" (Halibrand) rear wheels and low profilr Toyo Proxys. We tried to work with our friends So Cal Speed shop on some fabricated spindles, but there wasn't a time window we could live with. We've always felt that the SSR is 'overtired' which gave us handling problems and a 'rump rump' feel we were nor comfortable with, so we went down in size, gearing, and weight.

We're extremely pleased with out Belltech springs and we suggest you give them a try. Just tell them you want the same ones DJ&F used for the Detroit Enduro SSR. They'll remember, trust us!

Hope this helps some of you.

S

·
0 Posts
Any pics and will they work with factory wheel&tire combo?Any alignment problems? thanks

·
Registered
230 Posts
This is a good combo for wheels and tires, on mine I have 18'' front and 20'' rear
with modified spindle and an AirRide Technologies kit, love it nice and low, good
compliant ride quality and handles great.

·
Registered
2005 SSR
436 Posts
Information from past posts indicate a 2.5" drop in the front will require modification to the A-arms.

Posts also indicated there isn't anyone making an aftermarket A-arm that the insurance companies will write a policy on at this time.

One thing leads to another in re-engineering.

A lot to consider.

P

·
0 Posts
If you don't want to mess around with changing wheel/tire size spindles etc. Ground Force is the best setup IMO, unless you go air. I just got mine in, and it now sets only 1-3/8" off the fender in the front, and just slightly more than that in the back, with no change in ride quality and no rubbing. Over time it will settle a bit more I'm sure. If I was anal about it I'd heat the rear spring and get the front and rear even, but it looks level enough to my eye. I probably sell and install every lift and lowering manufacturer out there, and this is the first lowering kit I haven't had some kind of issue with. I've seen the gamut in this stuff from riding like a hardtail Harley to bouncing like a pogo stick...

·
Registered
501 Posts
I agree with you Slappy,
I think(now) that the Ground force is the safe bet. Iv'e had mine in for about a month and just got around to getting the front end reset.Members on this site have been stangely quiet concerning the alignment issues with the Ground Fprce and other lowering springs. I must admit I kinda got concerned,but my fears were cleared today when my local mechanic freind was ble to set the camber and tow without issues once we figured out that the SSR is so new that we had to use the Trailblazer specs. Lower control arm sets the camber.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lowering

smitty said:
Any pics and will they work with factory wheel&tire combo?Any alignment problems? thanks
The springs we used worked with the factory wheel/tire combo.

·
Registered
347 Posts
With a 2 1/2" drop in the front and the suspention going threw its normal travel the tire will come in contact with the pinch weld on the crush tube and cut your tires like a knife and your upper ball joint will run out off lateral travel because off the angle off the upper control arm. The only way to get the geometry correct is to turn your ball joint over and make a correct lenght arm. I would not use shorter springs just make a shorter shock mount then you would still have full travel and a nice ride.

·
Premium Member
9,382 Posts
Hi, Ken

Do you see a similar problem with the 1" drop - I have Eibach springs coming in next week.

Cutting tires isn't real high on my list of priorities.

Ray

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hi,
No 1 to 1 1/2" you are o.k. Don't get me wrong you can go as low as you want if you are willing to do some metal work. It just needs to be done safely. SLAM IT!! Just do it right.
Ken

·
Registered
501 Posts
Thats low

Porter here, just reporting that all is ok with front end alignment.I've had the Ground Force springs in for a while and have put about 200 miles on them before getting the front end aligned.I just had it done yesterday and took some time today to see how it worked.
I can tell that lineing it up helped with the feel and stability. Both the camber and tow in were off.The camber went from -1.2(left)&1.4(right) to -0.5(left) &-0.6(right),with a total tow of 0.07 . The caster angle went from 4.8(left)&4.5(right) to 3.4(left)&3.2(right) .
I was heading down rt. 4 and pushed it a little bit to 135 mph! Still in third gear with a s##t load of pedal left.Man this thing is really stable at speed,she just hunkered down and flew. Those new Dynatech headers were talkin man.What a thrill. No Cops I was feelin lucky. This thing never drove like this stock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts