Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Predator. I will be installing today. Anyone else installed it already? Any issues I should know about?

Anyone heard when the controls for the TCM will be available or if they are going to give that fuction at all???

I will update info after I have had a chance to test it and see what happens.

After such a long wait, I hope it is worth it....

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Pay close attention to the instructions to ensure that NOTHING powered is in or near the vehicle.

This means:

- Premium fuel in the tank BEFORE doing the re-programming (if you forget, the engine will "protect itself" via retarded timing during hard acceleration, masking the benefits of the microtuner)
- SOME mcirotuners require prior removal of certain specified fuses from BOTH the underhood panel AND the panel behind the passenger seat
- Doors CLOSED
- Window glass OPEN and FULLY down BEFORE you start the entire process (so you don't lose the indexing registration)
- Running lights OFF (use the handbrake lever to turn them off
- HVAC fan OFF
- Remove your cell phone from your body and leave it in the house!
- Do NOT operate garage door opener, satellite radio, nearby motors or electronics during the procedure
- Turn the key to "on" but do NOT turn the key far enough to start the engine! (Has happened:) )
- Do not under any circumstances interrupt the procedure
- Remember to replace any fuses pulled for the procedure

Jim G

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice.

I know that you have said the turning OFF "Torque Management" is not a good thing. I assume that they have taken that in consideration when designing their software.

What type of concerns should I have using this product. I am a pretty conservative driver, but like to open it up from time to time.

Any info would be greatly apprecaiated.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
The only negatives to these type of products are:

1. They have to be removed if you decide that you want more performance yet, as they are not compatible with other approaches

2. The manufacturers of these micotuners want to make sure you are "impressed" with the results, even if you have little technical background or seat-of-the-pants ability to judge degree of improvement. So, they tend to take off too much of the torque management, in order to do things like bark the tires during upshifts, so you "know" it "really made a difference". Unfortunately, this is destructive to an already overloaded automatic transmission and the driveline behind it (notice that GM went to the stronger Eaton axle for the 6-speed even though it meant giving up the traction control - a safety feature).

You don't state whether you have a 6-speed or auto. If auto, see if they allow you to "tune" the degree of "torque management" (I think some of the microtuners do). If so, tone down their default setting to a more modest reduction, for the protection of that transmission, driveshaft and axle.

Jim G

1 - 4 of 4 Posts