Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up for discussion, upgrades for our SSR super trucks, with this thread please OMIT superchargers and turbo options -The intent is for naturally aspirated changes.

I heard from a friend that Powertrain had something on TV, I use Comcast and don't get access to that particular program. But in the best interest of all things scientifically related to our trucks, such information, cost and value with a view to performance, is always a good thing. There were two links, both to the same site, but one is cars and the other trucks. I was surprised at the C6 Throttle body cost, seemed pretty elaborate, as it's not anything that appears super special.

Truck
https://www.onallcylinders.com/2017/12/28/ls2-truck-engine-upgrade-guide-expert-advice-ls2-truck-engine-mods-maximize-performance/

While reading these, I had forgotten completely about the manifold, injectors and fuel pump (I have a spare pump, intend to sell and upgrade, following the read).
I would hope Topspin and Mike will kick in their opinions, as a bonus. :)

Cheers

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
KiwiUSA

KiwiUSA: - - While on another site it was noted that someone built an engine from a LSA block with Callies crank and rods, West Coast heads,
(a Mag. S/C we wont talk about) Kooks headers and 3" Magnaflow exhaust system for great results. While most people won't be able to do
this for any number of reasons, maybe there are items here one might wish to explore on a limited basis. Just a thought. LAZY ONE

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,047 Posts
Not expensive things folks can do and gain over 50 horsepower and gobs of off the line torque.

Had my Throttle Body done by Faster Proms in Florida, Jeremy tune. Took it off myself and sent it UPS. They did it and returned it very promptly. They shaved off all the edges inside and took as much material off as possible to enlarge the opening to match the intake. Very responsive and much faster off the line. I also did the throttle body spacer, K&N cold air package, Jet High Performance Mass Air Flo Sensor, true dual exhaust, and super dyno tune. The whole thing is like night and day.

The guy tuning our SSR called and said it was ready. On the Dyno it read 362 horsepower and 369 torque at the rear wheels after the work he and I did. He used some kind of fancy formula and figured 452.5 horsepower and 461.25 torque at the crank. Pretty good increase from stock plus very smooth and more responsive. Reset cooling fans, shift points and firmness and overall adjusted everything. This was all done after the K&N Cold air package, the throttle body port and polish done by Faster Proms in Florida, the Taylor Helix throttle body spacer, the Jet high performance mass air flo sensor, and the Magnaflow true duals exhaust. Split the header pipe and am running two pipes into the special muffler and two pipes out. There is an X pipe in the muffler.

One more thing I would add is rearend gear change. Guys say there is a world of difference then.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Corvette forum had such a wide range of what a throttle body value was or not it was hard to believe anything one way or the other, however I'm well aware that anything done in isolation rarely garners expected results. I posed that question to Topspin in another thread regards a C6 105mm Throttle body and that's when I realized there was a need for a manifold change, then it all grew like rocks in a lawn.

I did leave the rear end out, focusing on the motor, I have had periods where I was held up due to health, but had planned on the Torsen equivalent of the Eaton rear end in 4:30, but don't want to really make the rear end a jump-into point in the thread. I do have just shy of $10,000 in upgrades, aside a proper tune, nothing on the motor. I had a list somewhere here with changes made, but it's still a wee bit irrelevant based on no engine upgrades.

In this case I would assume based on the information from the link, that there are number of advantages, though would require a whole set of upgrades to be of any real value?

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
"On the Dyno it read 362 horsepower and 369 torque at the rear wheels after the work he and I did. He used some kind of fancy formula and figured 452.5 horsepower and 461.25 torque at the crank"

Not really a fancy formula. The shop simply assumed a 20% loss from crank to rear wheels. Fairly standard way to calculate crank numbers.

Ken, Vancouver Island

·
HobbyBob
641 Posts
I believe that when figuring dyno rates to flywheel rates, the automatic is about 20%. but the 6 speed with the larger and heavier 9.75" rear has more parasitic loss, so 25% may be a better representation. .02:jester

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,065 Posts
In the last few months, I remember reading a Hot Rod magazine article that compared about a dozen different intake manifolds on a slave LS engine on a dyno. All of them were measured several different ways for making power. What I remember reading was that the OEM manifold was really hard to beat when you consider power across the entire engine operating range. Yeah, some of them made better HP at 5-6,000 rpm, but fell short at low rpm power.

I don’t have the magazine any longer, or I would be quoting numbers for you. Do a search on Hot Rod Magazine’s web site and see if you can dig up the comparison.

Regards,

Mike

·
Tech Support/Research
1,683 Posts
Intake Manifolds

In the last few months, I remember reading a Hot Rod magazine article that compared about a dozen different intake manifolds on a slave LS engine on a dyno. All of them were measured several different ways for making power. What I remember reading was that the OEM manifold was really hard to beat when you consider power across the entire engine operating range. Yeah, some of them made better HP at 5-6,000 rpm, but fell short at low rpm power.

I don’t have the magazine any longer, or I would be quoting numbers for you. Do a search on Hot Rod Magazine’s web site and see if you can dig up the comparison.

Regards,

Mike
Hot Rod Magazine, July 2018, Page 76- a test of 19 intake manifolds for the LS3. The article makes reference to a similar intake manifold "shootout" in 2015 and that the Trailblazer SS OEM cathedral-port intake is "tough to beat."

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, that still leaves a lot of "head" room, regards heads/cam and perhaps Throttle body. I know we could easily spend a small fortune, based on possible changes that could be made.

...Which reminds me (shameless plug) I looked at your site Mike on things I would like, that was to see how much to prepare for, I didn't see the rear lid fix /extender, they sold out?
Of course I have a lot of your well conceived products.

Cheers

·
Tech Support/Research
1,683 Posts
Intake Manifold Upgrades

For reference, the original Hot Rod Magazine article that tested 20 LS1 manifolds, including the stock units used on Chevy trucks, Corvettes and the Trailblazer SS is the December, 2015 issue. The article starts on Page 74.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts