Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kind of improvement would the ls6 heads have over the stock 5.3 ones? compression and valve sizes?is it worth the expense? how much of an improvement for the magnacharger with these heads? any ideas

·
I'm not cool...
2,096 Posts
negative

the book "How to build High-performance Chevy LS1/LS6 V-8s" by Will Handzel, that Jim G. recomended has alot of good info :thumbs
in the book they did a comparison of a stock 5.3 and one with LS6 heads & cam, the modified one was weaker because the combustion chamber is larger making the compression ratio lower
I think the lower compression ratio and larger combustion chamber would work well with more boost than normally prescribed by magnacharger, but I'm not that knowlegable about this stuff.
paulny is doing this to his ssR, we'll hafta see how it goes :flag

·
Registered
32 Posts
How To Build An Lm4 Ssr The Right Way!!

mikepowell said:
the book "How to build High-performance Chevy LS1/LS6 V-8s" by Will Handzel, that Jim G. recomended has alot of good info :thumbs
in the book they did a comparison of a stock 5.3 and one with LS6 heads & cam, the modified one was weaker because the combustion chamber is larger making the compression ratio lower
I think the lower compression ratio and larger combustion chamber would work well with more boost than normally prescribed by magnacharger, but I'm not that knowlegable about this stuff.
paulny is doing this to his ssR, we'll hafta see how it goes :flag

:lurk

Mike !!! First I hope you see my reply I have been away from this site for a long time. I have had major health problems. Yours is the correct answer .... my first dyno run was 455 rwhp with 445 max torque at 5200 RPM. Yes I could use a bigger throttle body at the high end. I will say this, I was in NC at Lowes Motor Speedway for the 600 and had my truck dynoed by a local NASCAR shop and it made 502 RWHP. JUST WOW!!!! I also got 17 MPG at 70 to75 MPH in the stright 16 hour drive down there at 28 to 3000 rpm in overdrive! Thats with 4:46 gears, if I droped my speed to anywhere from 55 to 65 MPH (about 2300 to 2600 RPM) my gas milage dropped like a stone. At no time while crusing did my superchager kick in unless I nailed it. Let me tell you nailing my SSR at 70 mph takes the gauge from postive 20 Vaccum to a wopping 12 PSI and rockets the SSR to 130 MPH in about 2 seconds. I can tell you this because a late model Vette club came up on me at about 80 MPH, There were 6 vettes, 3 wanted to play!!! Two willingly but the leader just wanted to shake me loose and leave me in the dust. Well that did not happen. At 75 MPH I moved into his pack behind him (which pissed him off) he slowed to 60 MPH and then nailed it ............ I nailed it also and had to lift at 100 plus?? until he move over into the slow lane (two lanes only) then he slowed again to about 50 mph and point to lets go!!! End of story, my SSR was in it's elament (little did he know) there was no contest I was gone in 2 seconds and he DID NOT ...... REPEAT ...... DID NOT SAND BAG. I am not stupid, if we ran a realy drag race he most likly would have won, but who knows 1/8 yes but 1/4 mile maybe? Any way do not listen to all those experts (so called anyway) I know I did the right inprovements!!! I can wipe up any factory Mustang up to 2006! Also it must have fallen by the wayside I stroked my LM4 9MM it is now a 350 CID with 9:1 compression, six bolt caps, and a Z06 top side wirh a supersharger. Yea I did not make it a true dual exhuast but that just compinsates for the smaller 75mm throttle body that everyone is having problems switching over to the newer model 90mm throttle bodies. MY SSR (WITH THE TC OFF) CAN MAKE SMOKE UNTIL YOU CAN'T SEE YOUR HANDS ON THE WHEEL! IT WILL TAKE MOST OLDER MUSSLE CARS AND IT SURE GETS ATTENSHION (POLICE ALSO, 4 TICKETS SO FAR, NOT PRODE OF IT, MOSTLY BECAUSE OF THE SOUND). I read and researched and had RAMP CHEVY ENGINEERS UNBOARD during the build!!!!! My SSR was researched by me and built by Chevy and also warrentied by them, only because I am 100% disabled and can not turn a wrench anymore at 54, but I sure can sent you photo of past projects and time slips and record breaking 8.5 x 11" framed awards from Holley and other performance companies. This is the only machine I have not turn a wrench on and I am a bit sad to admit to it. But you know what????? It is the most fun ROD I have owned. Regards to all , Paulny [email protected]

PS: anyone on Long Island, NY who wants to join a "GREAT NASCAR CLUB" contact me I am the Long Island Chapter President and I can promise you perks and a great time ............ thats where my wife and I where driving to (LOWES SPEEDWAY in NC) when we came accross the Vette Club. NASCAR IS IN IT"S TIME!!! JOIN UP NOW AND DON"T LET THE FUN AND PERKS PASS YOU BY!!!!:smash

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Paulny: We continue to be amazed by your purported adventures.:)

By the way, among other errors in your "presentation", EVERY Gen III Chevy engine comes with 6 bolt main bearing supports.

Before you bs too much, you might want to do your homework first.:)

Jim G

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
mr.merlin - You could do the LS6 243 Casting Heads and have the chambers matched to the current heads you have now. The heads will flow more and your compression would stay the same.

You could start out with the Lingenfelter GT2-3 Cam and that way you will have a great cam for the supercharger later.

You will see more gain from the cam then you will ever see from the heads and the cam only cost $390.00 plus install. The heads will flow a little better on the top end, but without a good cam that will be wasted.

Feel free to give me a call anytime to BS.

Joe (760)522-8669

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
2005SSR6speed: Careful! The cam may cost only $390, but the entire collection of parts required to make a good cam change, including the timing chain and sprocket replacement, runs more like $1200 and up. And the labor associated with a cam change is going to be immense compared to many other mods - more than the labor to do the supercharger install.

Just so no one is surprised.

Jim G

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Jim - The cam and its install will still be a better bang for the buck then the heads. At about the same price the cam is prefered hands down. You will also need the Comp 918 Springs, Timing Chain and oil pump with associated gaskets. It is never cheap to get a cam installed unless you can do it yourself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts