Chevy SSR Forum banner

What lubricants do you use and how often you change'm?

• Synthetic lubricants

Votes: 71 82.6%
  • Mineral based lubricants

Votes: 9 10.5%
  • Combination of lubricants

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Every 3000 miles

Votes: 27 31.4%
  • Every 5000 miles

Votes: 37 43.0%
  • Every 7500 miles

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • Every 10,000 miles

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • What do you mean change?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Run'm till they die!!!!

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
See poll

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Mobil 1

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I just had the oil changed at the dealer and they are putting the new driveshaft in today, so I don't know what oil they have used, but will find out when I go to pick it up. Now a question for you guys, Do you wait til the DIC says you need to change the oil or are you taking it in every 3000 miles. My dealer has me set up on the prefered customer plan and it says every 3000 miles for them to change the oil and do all the normal inspections at that time. I still had about 30% left on the oil @ 5000 miles.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Oil change interval

When I used regular motor oil I changed every 3,000 miles. I am now using Mobil 1 synthetic oil so I change every 5 to 6,000 miles. I reset my B trip meter when I change oil and use that to remind me when to change again.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil change miles

Personally I change mine every 5000 miles or so. But I don't drive in dirty area's or extreme heat(over 100F). Also, I don't go nuts with expensive oils. As long as it is of the type, rating n viscosity listed by the auto manufacturer in ur "owner manual", u shud hav no probs.

Now if ur racin' n raggin' on ur baby...u may want 2 step up ur choice of lube's. :yesnod Also lets not 4get the driveline units
:nono

:cool

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
dic

I think I'm going to watch the oil %life, in the DIC, for the next couple of changes.

IMHO the 3000mi oil change doesn't do much more, than sell more oil.

I mean face it, if you were selling oil changes and your income was derived by how many oil changes you did, and you knew there were only so many cars in town, wouldn't you recommend smaller intervals?

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
If you were a dealership and wanted to sell more parts and labor wouldn't you recommend fewer oil changes. Personally I believe it's the cheapest insurance you can buy, especially if you do it yourself.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I took my Sebring to a local brand name lube shop, within a week I had major transmission problems. Not suprising on a 96 Sebring. Their fault? Only in my fantasies, but I never went back. Later I heard of two other vehicles for which they bought new motors, after various oil change related errors caused problems.

Anyway, advice that costs someone $120/yr instead of $60 while providing a plausable benefit isn't going to draw attention, but it will double your annual profits. Advising some one to skimp beyond mfgrs. recommendations, that will get you in deep water quick.

PS. I've owned 3 new vehicles, each clocked over 100k, I wish I could say I changed the oil every 7500 miles, but most often it was more than that by 500-1000.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Oil changes

I owned a Camaro that I put 175k on just using regular oil changed every 5000 miles. Then I had a Camaro that I put Mobil 1 in every 5000 miles...I had the engine replaced after 55k. Now the first camaro I had the oil changed at a mechanic that I was friends with, then I moved and for the second camaro I had the oil changed at a dealership. Now I'm not sure if the problem was with the oil, the oil changer, or the engine, but I'm going to be putting in regular oil when the DIC says %30 oil life left, at the dealer. We'll just have to see if this was a bad decision.

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,531 Posts
I had my SSR's first oil change at 750 miles since mine (#602) was produced in 10/2003. I purchased it mid 06/2004 and put about 750 miles on the SSR before the first change. That one was simply because the oil had been in that engine for a very long time (most of it just sitting around at the dealership's lot).

I plan on following the DIC statement of when the oil life has expired unless there is a really long time that has transpired since that last oil change. The value displayed in the DIC is supposed to account for the driving habits of the driver (for the most part).

Oil change recommendations by the dealership are a funny thing. My Honda Civic Hybrid uses 0W-20 oil and the service manual states that it should be changed every 10000 miles based on normal usage (miles factor). I still had the dealership's service department claim that I was due for an oil change after 2900 miles on the car. I asked the service manager why are you giving people the impression that they are due for a change at 3000 miles when Honda states that under normal driving conditions it should be changed every 10000 miles. He didn't have much of an intelligent response to that question. Even the severe usage schedule has the oil being changed at 5000 miles not 3000. I didn't wait until 10000 miles to change the oil. I changed it at 8600 miles on the Civic Hybrid.

The oil change debate will rage on for a long time on every car related website. There's no one right answer when it comes to this question. The right time/miles to change the oil is different for each car and how the car is used. We can only hope the oil life span calculation in our SSR is good at what it does, but I'll let my years of experience override the DIC display if it "feels" like its been too long.

S

·
0 Posts
On my Impala SS I use 10-30 and change it about every 3000 miles. But right now Im fighting an overheating problem.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Frank the service guy said if you have no proof of the times you change the oil and what kind of oil you use any engine problems can be subject to denial from the extended warranty holders. The preferred program didn't cost anything to sign up but I do get discounts on the oil changes and they will keep all records for any problems that may come up later. They suggest changing the oil every 3k even if the DIC suggest a longer time, just because this isn't a perfect world and less than perfect driving conditions. just my 2 cents. :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oil change poll results r interesting.

It seems that it is a 3 to 1 edge 4 synthetic oils over mineral based oils. I guess spending millions on promo's works. I used synthetics in race app's, I fully agree with their use in extreme circumstances. But after c'ing n building hundreds of both street n race engines, I can't justify the additional expense 4 synthetics. :nono

Also, it seems that there is almost a tie 4 the frequency of changes between 3000 n 5000 miles.

The really good news is that NOBODY checked the last 2 options. Pheeew!!!
:thumbs

:cool

·
Registered
181 Posts
ssr17of25, I drive my SSR about 6,000 miles or 2 oil changes per yr. The synthetic Mobil 1 oil change costs me $27 with filter. Conventional oil change with filter costs me $15. This is a $12 per change higher cost with the synthetic or a grand total of $24 more per yr. over dino oil costs. For me, this is awfully cheap insurance when I'm stuck in traffic and that temp. guage starts slowly climbing. That's one of the best points, not propaganda, that synthetics do not break down under high temperatures as quickly as a conventional oil will. Just my own personal preference and I'm not trying to "flame you". I don't doubt your engine knowledge but feel free to visit bobistheoilguy site where some of the real lube experts and engineers expound on why they prefer synthetics over conventional oils for all applications, not just racing. They have convinced me that synthetics are worth the few extra dollars they cost. But to each, their own.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
1st Oil Change

Used Mobil 1 and a K&N oil filter.

Could'nt find a fuel filter at 2 Kragens, might have to get one from the Dealer,will try on next oil change.

RickSSR :cool

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Old Poll.....

I was just wondering what old polls were around and still open.....

BUMP

·
Premium Member
35,819 Posts
Can't you buy them prelubed....oops did I just type that:eek:eek:leavingSORRY:leaving

1 - 19 of 19 Posts