Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've got alomst 200 miles on my SSR, and today while driving on the highway at about 65 mph, one of my chrome lug nut covers fell off!!!! Naturally, at that speed there was no way to recover it. Anyone know if this would be covered under warranty? If not, anyone happen to have a spare they want to sell? :cry

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
I think that they are plastic covers.

The dealership I purchased my '03 from had to order one - since when they replaced a wheel that had been damaged in transit, the tire shop scratched the original...

Your dealership should be able to get you one - hopefully as a warranty replacement...

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Make sure that when you put it on you look inside the cover. There is an image of a tire stem and you need to line that up with the actual tire stem. Also make sure the wire spring is lined up correctly. If you use a small allen wrench, you can pull of the cover on one of your existing wheel covers and see what I am talking about. The wire spring keeps it snug against the wheel center. I have found the allen wrench to be very effective to prevent damage to the plastic cover, yet still give you something to grab the little bugger with to get it off.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

Thanks! Called the dealer. He chuckled when I told him what I needed. I guess this is a pretty common occurence. Anyway, it looks like they will cover it under warranty. No ETA on the part, I suspect it could be a while given the population of these cars....

·
Registered
395 Posts
center cap

Make sure that your dealer orders you the correct cap --- the front and rear are different !!! you should have it in a week they're pretty available. :thumbs

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny! The dealer called 10 minutes ago to ask me if it was the front or the rear :)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update

Well, the dealer ordered it, and got the wrong one? Not chrome and no bowtie in the middle :mad Now he says he's not sure he can get one. :confused Any chance someone out there has one laying around? Thanks!

·
Registered
395 Posts
chrome ctr. covers

I ordered a set of these a short while ago with no problem from my dealer. They came in less than a week, I'll call him tomorrow and get the GM part # if it will help you out. :thumbs

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Here are the part #s I have for the wheel covers.
Front
Metallic Silver (RPO-15P) 15165093 00.00
Sterling Silver (RPO-73P) 88982917 40.50
Chrome 15117281 92.50

Rear
Metallic Silver (RPO-15P) 15165093 00.00
Sterling Silver (RPO-73P) 15165091 40.50
Chrome 15117282 92.50

Maybe this will help. :)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Look real close if you all have the metallic covers and you can notice that the lug cover does not line up on all the lines of the wheels. The dealer replaced mine and the replacements were worse. The chrome covers do not have this problem on the SSR's I have seen. They said that it is obvious the wheel and the lug covers are not perfected to match each other. HMMMMM! Why not list all these factors on the sales broshures and see if GM sells many more with the continued attitude GM displays on the fact the concept model was produced to fast for results on road and consumer testing. It is very unfair for GM to make some of these corrections on the 05' and not consider recalls on a small number of vehicles compared to the other models. What about all of you guys that are thinking the same thing? Am I alone in this?

·
Premium Member
9,216 Posts
Check Cruzned's post above - it details the problem - I'm just repeating it here, after having the same experience.

The lug covers actually fit quite well, if they're installed properly. I had the same problem with two of them when the dealership checked the wheels with a torque wrench. If you flip it over, the cover is marked with a tire valve - that needs to line up with the tire valve on the wheel. Check the ones that aren't lining up as you remove them, and see if the valve stem stamping lines up.

I'll lay odds that the mechanics doing the work on yours aren't aware of this, and have a 1 in 5 chance of getting right if they're just slapping them on.

Ray

·
Registered
131 Posts
Flassh said:
Check Cruzned's post above - it details the problem - I'm just repeating it here, after having the same experience.

The lug covers actually fit quite well, if they're installed properly. I had the same problem with two of them when the dealership checked the wheels with a torque wrench. If you flip it over, the cover is marked with a tire valve - that needs to line up with the tire valve on the wheel. Check the ones that aren't lining up as you remove them, and see if the valve stem stamping lines up.

I'll lay odds that the mechanics doing the work on yours aren't aware of this, and have a 1 in 5 chance of getting right if they're just slapping them on.

Ray
Not here, I went out in the Missouri rain and removed them to find them installed properly. The cap is level with the wheel and the points are as much as 1/8 inch below the inner point of the wheel, but not on all points. Believe me, they are not matched to my wheels.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My replacement chrome lug nut cover arrived today. I installed it and it seems to line up perfectly. The picture of the tire valve is kind of lame though :lol I also noticed the lug nut cover was made in Italy (or at least that is what they stamped on the inside) Seems odd to me that they couldn't find a company in the USA to make those things. Anyway, I'm a happy camper now :)

·
Premium Member
9,216 Posts
I was under my SSR tonight doing some cleaning, and noticed "Italy" cast right into the wheels on the backside of one of the spokes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts