·
Registered
421 Posts
Yep

Standard 19mm lug

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Was just out fixing a loose wheel center cap on my 2005, when I noticed that one of the lug nuts looks like some sort of lock nut requiring a special "key" type socket. Does anyone know what type of "key" that is? And where would someone purchase one?

·
Premium Member
2,899 Posts
Wheel locks

You apparently have wheels locks installed. The special coded key will have that same pattern with a hex head on it. You're pretty much screwed if you don't have the key. Hopefully whoever installed them initially still has it. They probably come in a kajillion patterns for security purposes. :cry

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
DakotaDocMartin said:
You apparently have wheels locks installed. The special coded key will have that same pattern with a hex head on it. You're pretty much screwed if you don't have the key. Hopefully whoever installed them initially still has it. They probably come in a kajillion patterns for security purposes. :cry
Thanks for the quick response Doc. My 2005 was delivered to me new with the locks already installed, but no coded key. :cry

I'll call the dealer. :banghead

·
Premium Member
31,294 Posts
DakotaDocMartin said:

Just ask Mr. Vettegirl (Lonnie) how "secure" his locking lug nuts were! :)

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
Was just out fixing a loose wheel center cap on my 2005, when I noticed that one of the lug nuts looks like some sort of lock nut requiring a special "key" type socket. Does anyone know what type of "key" that is? And where would someone purchase one?
My 'key' for those is an air chisel. First create a gouge in the nut and then use that to turn the lugnut.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Most tire shops have a set of sockets that fit over the outside of the locking nut. With an air wrench you first tap the socket on the nut and run it clockwise while pushing on the gun. This heats up the socket and it expands slightly and also "galds" the nut slightly. Let it cool for about 15 seconds and reverse the air gun. Kit comes with a punch to extract nut from socket. You must use a air wrench for these to work.

William

1 - 12 of 12 Posts