Chevy SSR Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What percent was the SSR made in the USA? I went to the home coming at the Lansing Craft Center and I seem to recall them saying it was the only car made 100% made in America. Is that true or am I making stuff up?

If it was 100% made, was it the last 100% made in America car?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
wwII

Why ? The quality too high for your standards ? Why U pick on Japs so much ? Have you lost touch just where the "cheap junk" is ?
THEY won WWII & few realize it???????? The U.S.A. rebuilt their country & they took over the world's car & motorcycle production.

birdmans

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,386 Posts
What percent was the SSR made in the USA? I went to the home coming at the Lansing Craft Center and I seem to recall them saying it was the only car made 100% made in America. Is that true or am I making stuff up?

If it was 100% made, was it the last 100% made in America car?

Cheers
I was not there to hear the statement, but I suspect that it was "100% assembled in The U.S.A."

Reactions: Quest

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
That whole made, assembled, built gets confusing now days with where something comes from. I work in the heater, fireplace and grill industry and it gets a little gray where things are made, built assembled and so fourth.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,919 Posts
Many of the AC Delco and Delphi parts have been made in China and Mexico for the past 20 years.

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
Maybe off-topic but. I picked up a load of Samsung (a South Korean company) refrigerators in Laredo Texas. Manufactured in Mexico. Delivered to Lowe's Distribution Center in Orlando Florida. Billed through hhgregg.

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,594 Posts
Sorry, it is not 100% made in USA, many parts are from Germany, Italy and elsewhere.
That is correct... however I believe that only a few parts where actually from Germany like the fan which was from a VW parts bin and I think perhaps the beverage trays and coin tray etc and the wheels made in Italy because of the type of paint that was used. Lots of the other parts as you may already know came from the SS Trailblazer like the 5.3L all aluminum engine and a shortened SS Trailblazer frame and the rear license plate surround was off the current Corvette during that time period. Thus Chevrolet tried to use as many parts that were already used in other GM production vehicles to help move the SSR quickly into production and fast to market.

Below comments were from Ed Ivey's email to me today when I asked him if he would know the answer to the above content questions.

Ed Ivey; said:
Of the things I remember the wheels were made in Italy because of the paint on them. The frame was made in Canada. The top hydraulics were made in the Netherlands. Mickey Sabol may remember more.

I believe that most of the rest was US manufacture certainly the sheet metal.

Share this if you like.

Ed Ivey

·
Premium Member
2,190 Posts
:|

Why should it even matter......Being overly concerned about (made in the USA) smacks of a Union workers mind set.

Way back in the 70's, I got into snow skiing. Once I understood a little about it, I got skis from France or Switzerland and for sure my "bindings" were from France. At that time, there was no source in the USA that could supply the quality/safety as did other countries more experienced in that sport.

Around the same time, I got into enduro riding as my (British) Triumph was way heavy for that kind of riding. So I ended up with a Spanish Bultaco..........Little light weight two stroke that had extra heavy fly wheel and pulled like a John Deere.:wink2:

Although I believe John Browning was an American.......gun inventor, my first 12 gauge Browning Auto was made in Belgium.

I could offer up more such examples, but to get too focused on (buying American.....or made in the USA) could be a hazard to your health and/or your ability to be truly competitive.:nerd:

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,594 Posts
:|

Why should it even matter......Being overly concerned about (made in the USA) smacks of a Union workers mind set....

I could offer up more such examples, but to get too focused on (buying American.....or made in the USA) could be a hazard to your health and/or your ability to be truly competitive.:nerd:
Certainly there are many members, including myself, that would like to support vendors whose products are made in the USA or mostly made in the USA/ Canada. It is certainly great to have an option/ choice.

Yes indeed, there may not be many things that are truly 100% MADE IN USA but it certainly doesn't hurt to look for products that are and you don't have to be just a Union person/ supporter. :)

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
It's 2018 and it's a global economy. Get over it, accept it and enjoy whatever you have regardless of where it came from.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.