Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First time dragging the wifes 2003 bone stock SSR.
Atlanta Dragways last race of the year was this saturdays Southern Heavy Shootout by GASSIT.
Run by Impala SS club with Mercury Marauder club they had bracket eliminations & some heads up classes.

The rules are American made, RWD & over 4000 LBS. I figured the SSR fit the bill. I drag race often , but this car has never been down the strip in our 50k miles of ownership

Bone stock , Stock Goodyears . It weighed in at 5080! on atlanta scales. The day was great altitude @ atlanta is 1155 but in the summer months 3800 density altitude is not uncommen, today was 1370 so the air was great.

First pass, slight burnout left at 1500 rpm with TC off 15.410 @ 89.57 with a 9.91 1/8 mile

Best pass of the day was [email protected] 89.61

Made the final round, was leaving @ 2k to make the reaction time better very little effect on et, treed the guy by .250 and was on the brakes for 15.364 on a 15.37 dial!!!!! AYEEEEEEEEE I hate braking out, MPH was only 85.76 so my predictor says it was a 15.2 run

For comparison, my gen 1 Ford lightning had a best of 15.2 with a 410, headers and cat back, so I think it was a very repectable showing. The stock late model Impala SS were running about the same on nittos.

funny thing happened though the drivers window started to get screwy, not going down more than an inch unless I turned it off & retarted , then eventually it would not index & nothing would help it.

Made 17 runs total. when I dropped the top on the way home , the windows worked fine again? & now index perfect. I wonder what it didnt like?
Anyways a great day with a fine group well run, even if you loost they had a lane so called run all day & make all the runs you could stand. Someone even had a rental challanger running 13.5s!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Plugging the times in my Drag racing calculator the MPH calculates 343 HP based on best time & 5080 lbs, using my best 1/8 mile MPH it calculates to 357 hp , this program is very close on my real race car when comparing dyno numbers vs et & mph compared to weight.

Best 1/8 mile was 9.858 @73.43

·
Premium Member
2,549 Posts
Nice going pdm, making the finals with a stock ride is a real accomplishment! As a long time, though now retired drag racer, I'm interested in what you're currently racing?

You had some decent #s for a stock 5.3. I don't know about the hp #s though, seems somewhat inflated to me?!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice going pdm, making the finals with a stock ride is a real accomplishment! As a long time, though now retired drag racer, I'm interested in what you're currently racing?

You had some decent #s for a stock 5.3. I don't know about the hp #s though, seems somewhat inflated to me?!
Thanks. it was a blast.
I went through the water box did a small burnout for the fans and the antilocks started chatering coming up to the beams, very interesting but I was hot lapping it & it was very consistant until the finals, which had a big wait before that round, about 1 hour so the car was completely cooled down, I had it up to 210 temp idling in the lanes but the tranny might have cooled & accounting for the faster time, I was using my weather station & the DA was pretty consistant all day.

presenting: MONZA (2) :::::: VUVOX

Above is a link is my Summit series Monza , we made it to the NHRA Finals this year but got spanked in round 1, but thats racing. The Monte Carlo SS I picked up earlier this year from a customer at my insurance agency that knew that I raced. He kept after me for 6 months & I made him a verrrrrrry low offer and he took it! it turns out to be an ex DARE car that has quite a bit of history and a 5.36 in the 8th I havent run it yet but am going through it now I was hoping to make a street car out of it but the TQ converter is way loose & you can barely drive it, but its kind of cool & had won 130 World of wheels in its day , I found the original builder & he has a scapbook with over 800k signatures from touring schools & doing burnouts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Good for you! I may have to take Old Red to the local strip since you did so well!
Do it , its a great way to blow a Saturday. The wild part my MPG guage was at 16.9 when I started & on the way home it only dropped to 16.4!. On my SRT8 chrysler I had it would drop from 15 to 6 mpg after a day at the strip.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could be, but 15.3 is pretty stought for a 5080 lb weigh in. I use the desk top dyno feature & just plug in the weight & numbers. On some of my other stockers its pretty close, I know its a long shot but thought it was interesting enough to share.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks

The Monza & Monte represent the current market for race cars, cheap. If you take your time there are some jewels out there. After looking at many misrepresented cars I started to ask people to meet me at the strip to see the car run, I offered a deposit & had no takers until the Man with the Monza said come see it run. I found it in 2008 in racing junk & we made the finals of the Super Chevy Show Jegs braket Bash its first race. After road racing for 25 years this was the first race I actually made money on!
It was crusty when I bought it but once I went through it it had some high quality parts & was well built. The single stage paint came up nice after some scrubbing & buffing. A good tune up and its been good to go for hundreds of rounds. Since it was running I have been adding my mods & detailing as time & money permit. I really like the look of it & the short 96 inch wheelbase makes it a hoot to drive. It will get your attention

The Monte is another story, but I havent opened it up yet, thats a winter project.

·
Premium Member
2,549 Posts
Neat pair of cars there! It seems like the Monza has gone the way of the Vega at the drags - used to be lots of them - now not too many. 96" wheelbase can be fun, as I've done that some myself. Our last ride was a 51 Henry J on just about a 96" w.b. My buddy currently is running a Gremlin which is 96 or 98", and going 7.20s @ 184 - I think he's NUTS!! How big is the small block in the Monza? Looks like you've got a bottle on it, too? You running a 'glide behind it? It appears to be a bracket car - how quick is it?

·
Registered
689 Posts
First time dragging the wifes 2003 bone stock SSR.

First pass, slight burnout left at 1500 rpm with TC off 15.410 @ 89.57 with a 9.91 1/8 mile

Best pass of the day was [email protected] 89.61

I see I'm not the only guy running the wifes SSR at the local track....but I was warned :nono "if you break something, DON'T COME HOME TILL ITS FIXED!!!! :glol

Good numbers you're running, congrats :cheers

The rest of you guys gotta get out and try this sometime, but be warned...this racing thing is horribly addicting!!! :trophy:

Don J :seeya

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Neat pair of cars there! It seems like the Monza has gone the way of the Vega at the drags - used to be lots of them - now not too many. 96" wheelbase can be fun, as I've done that some myself. Our last ride was a 51 Henry J on just about a 96" w.b. My buddy currently is running a Gremlin which is 96 or 98", and going 7.20s @ 184 - I think he's NUTS!! How big is the small block in the Monza? Looks like you've got a bottle on it, too? You running a 'glide behind it? It appears to be a bracket car - how quick is it?

Its a 355 small block 11.25 JR pistons, dart CNC track ones with flat tappet cam of unkown origins but very lumpy. I did a valve job last year & although old, everything looked good. 750 carb, a t350 with a brake this year, prior I was footbraking, it has a 4 link w 12 bolt & 4:10s.. Since I just reubuilt the glide in the Monte I may swap to see how I like it. It had the Turbo 350 in it when I bought it & have been happy with it.

I have never used the bottle, When I bought the car it had a high speed miss that I could not find for a season, so I never felt comfortable using the juice, we used it on the dyno. I just lowered the rpms so it wouldnt miss & raced on & did well. After I found the culprit, the cars best is in 10.90's which is exactly what I want it to run.

Whoever built it used the big head , big tire & big cam theory to make no torque down low, so it hooks in dirt with a nice top end charge. Rarely do I spin a tire. It really hooks under any condition. I love it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts