Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
OP
8,225 Posts
explain

Could you provide pics and explain in a bit more detail?

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did it today and now have it all back together. The Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) is in between the air filter box and the throttlebody. If you unhook the rubber below hose from the throttle body and the air cleaner box, it will be the hard black center unit with the electrical plug going into it.

Take all the hose clamps off, unplug the electrical connection to the MAF and pull the plastic adapter for the crankcase ventilation out of the bellows hose. Once you have the MAF completely removed from the bellows you will see a honeycomb screen in the MAF, this is what you will remove. Be very carefull and place a screwdriver through the MAF be careful not to bend the wires (there are very thin wires and sensors) and push the screen out. It is a little hard to get started but comes right out easily once started. It is very restrictive.

Maybe we can get Zack or another member to come over to my place this week and take pictures while i do it for them.

It is part of the free mods that have been done to the LS series of engines since they first came out in 1997.

I also trimmed the plastic insert for the crankcase ventilation so that it didnt protrude into the airflow path.

Both are very easy and only take about 30 minutes if you take your time and just frees up the airflow going into the engine.

I will be doing a home porting job on the stock MAF within the next few days. This will just further smooth the airflow into the engine.

I need to look and see if the coolant is routed through the throttle body like the older versions. The coolant bypass mod is also a free or cheap mod.

On the old LS1 engines it was recognized as the first thing you did as soon as getting the car home. I can try to find a full list of free mods on some other sites if you are interested.

·
Registered
172 Posts
WED or Thurs after 2pm??

2005SSR6Speed said:
I did it today and now have it all back together. The Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) is in between the air filter box and the throttlebody. If you unhook the rubber below hose from the throttle body and the air cleaner box, it will be the hard black center unit with the electrical plug going into it.

Take all the hose clamps off, unplug the electrical connection to the MAF and pull the plastic adapter for the crankcase ventilation out of the bellows hose. Once you have the MAF completely removed from the bellows you will see a honeycomb screen in the MAF, this is what you will remove. Be very carefull and place a screwdriver through the MAF be careful not to bend the wires (there are very thin wires and sensors) and push the screen out. It is a little hard to get started but comes right out easily once started. It is very restrictive.

Maybe we can get Zack or another member to come over to my place this week and take pictures while i do it for them.

It is part of the free mods that have been done to the LS series of engines since they first came out in 1997.

I also trimmed the plastic insert for the crankcase ventilation so that it didnt protrude into the airflow path.

Both are very easy and only take about 30 minutes if you take your time and just frees up the airflow going into the engine.

I will be doing a home porting job on the stock MAF within the next few days. This will just further smooth the airflow into the engine.

I need to look and see if the coolant is routed through the throttle body like the older versions. The coolant bypass mod is also a free or cheap mod.

On the old LS1 engines it was recognized as the first thing you did as soon as getting the car home. I can try to find a full list of free mods on some other sites if you are interested.

SURE

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will look around for other free mods too I remember these 4 but will have to find the others. There were a few that did the dyno before and after the free mods and they claimed it made between a 10-15 HP difference in the LS1 back when it was first introduced to the F-Bodies.

Zack - Give me a call this week. We will perform the free mods to your SSR while you take the pictures then we can post them here for everyone.

(1) MAF Screen Removal

(2) Home Ported MAF

(3) Crankcase Ventilation Tube

(4) Throttle Body Coolant Bypass

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I drove it all over today. I think it is more responsive after doing the MAF screen and vent tube. I am going to get a better filter for it tomorrow and I might modify the air cleaner housing.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It would seem by the 2 that have 03-04's that the MAF Screens might not be there in the 5.3 SSR's. I would like to find someone close to come over and check it out. It is real easy to do. I will do it for free to anyone that comes over with thier SSR.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are the pictures of me doing the MAF Screen and Crankcase Vent.

MAF Screen in the intake tube off of air box:

MAF removed from the SSR:

Screen removed from the MAF:

MAF with screen removed:

Crankcase vent protruding into intake path:

Crankcase Vent Tube after trimming to 2nd lip:

Crankcase Tube reinstalled in the intake path:

Maybe we can get Zack to comment on this, he left my house in a blaze of tire smoke and rubber to test it out.

·
OP
8,225 Posts
removed

I had reservations about removing this screen as it also serves as protection from debris, but I did, we'll see how much improvement is there, I'll have to replace the whole assembly if any debris damages it.

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,371 Posts
ampmop said:
I had reservations about removing this screen as it also serves as protection from debris, but I did, we'll see how much improvement is there, I'll have to replace the whole assembly if any debris damages it.
Not to worry. Since the MAF sensor is downstream from the air filter, any "debris" will be on the micron level! The screen is there to "stabilize" airflow over the sensors, but popular belief is that on applications with a "straight shot" between the air intake and the MAF, the screen is not needed. GM must think so also, as the 5.3's do not have a screen.

Blast

·
OP
8,225 Posts
cool

thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
More responsive

Yep----hauls ass. Like Smokin Joe said it's mostly in the upper RPMS. I got a nice 2nd gear schratch leaving his place and when I'm cruzin at about 3,000 rpms and I hit the gas it feels more responsive like the power is right there on hand.
I can't wait to do more.
Zack

·
Registered
421 Posts
Great Post!

My '04 SSR did not have that screen. I never even knew that my '05 SSR had such a screen. But, it doesn't now.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts