Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
High Plains Roadster
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been subscribing to Hot Rod magazine for a while and find some good articles.

A lot of it is over my automotive head so I learn something every issue.

What other car magazines do people on this forum like?

Maybe you can say why you prefer the one you do.

·
Premium Member
2,215 Posts
I have been subscribing to Hot Rod magazine for a while and find some good articles.

:|

Wow, your question begs more info as to just what type of ( additional automotive learning) you are after. Hot Rod is good for learning about engine hop ups and rebuilds and related go fast stuff. I was a subscriber for many years. If you like older cars/trucks and are at all into that you might like Street Rodder magazine. Full of related info on what/how for your old car /truck.

I used to subscribe to that one also..........it helped me tons as I build out my '39 Chevy streetrod. Every once in a while, I cave in and subscribe to Hemmings Motor News. That is a great source for finding parts for most any ride you might have. Also locating old cars/trucks that you might want to buy.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,394 Posts
I've taken Super Chevy for 15-20 years!!

Nick

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I subscribe to Hemmings Classic Car. Not so good on 'how to' articles but well written articles on classic cars. Gives me inspiration to finish my ongoing projects.

My personal 'hands on' experience was gained from working under the watchful eye of my late Dad, a Ford mechanic in his early years, who later became a high school Auto Mechanics teacher.

Best experience comes from 'doing' though. The learning experience is magnified by skinned knuckles, burns from hot engines and from crap falling in your eyes while you are working underneath your ride. Redoing a job more than once (or twice) also helps in building character !!

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
I have dropped all my subscriptions, except for the one that comes with a club membership. Even that one is limited use to me. I get much more benefit, bang for the buck, with donating to online sites, such as Stovebolt.com and of course a lifetime membership to this site.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Info sources

For SSR related questions this is the best place to seek knowledge and learn.
For general automotive knowledge and hot rodding I like The H.A.M.B.
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forums/the-hokey-ass-message-board.5/

As with any on-line information it is only as good as the guy giving it to you so never take anything as gospel without checking it out. I hope this helped.

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
Don't overlook books for being able to learn and understand the basics, because those are the foundation of what has become a very complicated machine.

aside: I got a surprise Christmas present, "Audels New Automobile Guide" last printed in 1945. Good for making sure you grasp the principles underlying how cars work. Those principles govern all bench racing sessions, and shape innovation.
audels1.jpg audels2.jpg audels3.jpg

Also military training manuals which were written to make sure kids who have only played with an old jalopy and a tractor, learn the foundations.
army2.jpg army3.jpg

Many of these books can be downloaded for free.

·
Premium Member
2,625 Posts

I think Car Craft might be right up your alley. It focuses on tech articles geared toward the backyard mechanic. They cover body, paint, chassis and drivetrain. If you want to PM me your address, I could send you some past issues to peruse?

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,394 Posts
I've taken Super Chevy for 15-20 years!!

Nick
BTW----which ever one you decide on, go to the magazine rack at a store, find the one you want, thumb through it, get one of their "Subscribe" post cards and order. That is usually the cheapest price!!!! I also take CAR CRAFT, HOTROD, and STREET RODDER

Nick

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I have gotten away from paper and print and gone to the dark side... the internet. I find I can get exactly what I'm interested in and not a bunch of stuff I don't care about.

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
That works for specific information, but print publications hold a variety of subjects, and might lure you into subjects you thought you didn't care about when actually just didn't know enough about.

C'mon, you know deep down you want to learn how to tie-dye your fender cover. ;)

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,920 Posts
I have subscribed to Old Cars Weekly since 1977! Love it.
Also get Street Rodder, Hot Rod, Super Chevy, and High Performance Chevy. Prefer paper for Magazines but e books on my iPad instead of paper.

·
High Plains Roadster
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the excellent suggestions.

Based on what has been said and what I have seen on the news stands, the one I will get is Car Craft.

KJA

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,370 Posts
Oops!!!!

Well, if you really must know I prefer paper...... 2019-01-05-11-49-49-656142714.jpeg

Unless that is, I'm "caught" in an awkward moment in the woods ((you know---hunting or fishing)) and then I have to improvise !!!

>:)

===============
David :black:
2018-12-27-11-35-10-1652721257.jpeg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts