Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I have finally put the 1st Gen Camaro behind me. I am ready to order Supercharger.

1. Has anyone bought one that they do not intend to use for one reason or another? Are you interested in selling it??? (PM me)

2. Who has the overall best price???(Supercharger+Shipping+Delay)

Thanks for the help

Scott

S

·
0 Posts
undefinedundefined

Good decision on the Magna Charger!

My 004 Slingshot has been upgraded and the difference is night and day. The engine feels like an electric motor. I would advise a move to a supercharger versus trading in and 004 or 003 for an 005. You won't take the trade in price hit and you get a more powerful engine.

I have not pulled a dyno test on it yet but it pulls so hard I am sure the results will be fun to see.

I would imagine your best bet to find a better price supercharger is to find an authorized dealer as opposed to buying directly from the manufacturer. I wish you the best of luck but I do not think you'll find a supercharger that someone has purchased and now wants to sell.

I realize the cost is not cheap but it is more than worth it should you buy a brand new supercharger.

Good luck.

SuperchargedSSR #7285

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
I would love to see the results of the Magnacharger setup on an 05. You could even purchase a low compression stroker shortblock (402 CI) for $3995.00 and run a different pulley for more boost.

·
Registered
321 Posts
1HOT12C said:
I guess I have finally put the 1st Gen Camaro behind me. I am ready to order Supercharger.

1. Has anyone bought one that they do not intend to use for one reason or another? Are you interested in selling it??? (PM me)

2. Who has the overall best price???(Supercharger+Shipping+Delay)

Thanks for the help

Scott
I just put a MagnaCharger on my 04 and it dyno'd 350 rwhp! It is a totally different ride now.. One of our fanatics did the same but installed a 2.75" pulley rather than the 3". Coupled with dynatech headers, exhaust and K & N filter he indicates he is pulling around 390 rwhp...!

When I talked to MagnaCharger they had referrals of companies area's that they recommended to do the install. It ain't cheap! If you do the headers, exhaust, supercharger, tuning and throw in a dual fan setup you will be looking at in excess of 10-12K! Which is just about in line with the old hot rod theory of $100 per hp..... (Unless you do it yourself)

Like I said though, the SC, et al, puts the SSR in a total different category, speed wise. In my opinion, it was worth every cent.....

Just my .02.....

·
Registered
904 Posts
Magna Charger is the way to go as most have said, I have one on my 04 with a FlowMaster kit with a 50 muffler, No headers yet, The tuner that comes with the charger didn't do what I wanted so I got a guy with a lap top and opened it up, Haven't checked the RWHP but there is not to many things on the road that can run with it, I took it to the drag strip a few times and people had to shake there heads when I said it was a 04, It ran great all night and won street tire finalist, It runs with 12 sec cars in the 1/8 mile and turns 13.69 at 102 in 1/4, Runs better in the 1/8 mile than 1/4 ??, I don't know how much more you would get out of a 05 or 06 when they come out with a charger for them but you won't get the jump like the 5.3 gives you

·
Registered
127 Posts
Rainwater said:
I just put a MagnaCharger on my 04 and it dyno'd 350 rwhp! It is a totally different ride now.. One of our fanatics did the same but installed a 2.75" pulley rather than the 3". Coupled with dynatech headers, exhaust and K & N filter he indicates he is pulling around 390 rwhp...!

When I talked to MagnaCharger they had referrals of companies area's that they recommended to do the install. It ain't cheap! If you do the headers, exhaust, supercharger, tuning and throw in a dual fan setup you will be looking at in excess of 10-12K! Which is just about in line with the old hot rod theory of $100 per hp..... (Unless you do it yourself)

Like I said though, the SC, et al, puts the SSR in a total different category, speed wise. In my opinion, it was worth every cent.....

Just my .02.....
Rainwater, that was 375 RWHP and 391FPOT. I sent Jim G. and you the dyno charts!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Gary's 04 said:
Rainwater, that was 375 RWHP and 391FPOT. I sent Jim G. and you the dyno charts!
OH my gosh, I am glad you pointed that out to me. I have mine back at the shop bitchin at the tech cuz you got more rwhp that I did!!!! :boxing

I will be looking for the chart and other information.

On the way to the tech shop this morning I was just on a lonely straight street and decided to jump on it to see just what might happen. From a 10 mph rolling start I nailed it and she fired up the rear wheels all the way thru 1st gear and I manually shifted at about 6,000 into second and she lite em up again. Quite impressive for a 4700 lb vehicle.. WHOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!! Probably going to be a real handful this winter on wet streets!

We need to tell Double-L that the 4:56 gear change will really help his 1/4 mile run. I think, as Jim G., has pointed out there is a huge lag in rpm from 3rd to 4th and the 4:56's really improve that.

I am as happy as a pig in $$$$$$$hit!

·
Registered
904 Posts
Well I used a 160 thermostat and turned the fan down to 180, I know it is hard on the motor-, I picked up 3 tens but lost 3 miles to the gallon by running the engine cooler, Coruse I could always run the motor back up to 212 or what ever and use the 456 gears and most likely break even, By the way who makes the gears you guys are using

·
Registered
127 Posts
Double-L said:
Well I used a 160 thermostat and turned the fan down to 180, I know it is hard on the motor-, I picked up 3 tens but lost 3 miles to the gallon by running the engine cooler, Coruse I could always run the motor back up to 212 or what ever and use the 456 gears and most likely break even, By the way who makes the gears you guys are using
Double-L: Motive Gear

·
Registered
321 Posts
There are 3 mfgs that I am aware of: Motive, Yukon & USGEAR. I used USGEAR because they are supposedly mfg'd in the good old US of A... Other have used both and seem satisfied. Some have whine and some don't. I can tell you it made one hell of a difference in response when I installed the 4:56's. That was before the SC. I think Jim G. saz he calculates about a 1.7 mile per gallon loss with the 4:56's. Believe me the performance is worth it~!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Cost

What have you guys paid for installation???

I am fairly mechanical, how hard to do myself???

BIG Question...Will Magna Charger program the programmer with the firmer shift points and less torque control like my predator or do I edit it after the install with the Predator.
I know they need the VIN number.

Scott

·
Registered
321 Posts
1HOT12C said:
What have you guys paid for installation???

I am fairly mechanical, how hard to do myself???

BIG Question...Will Magna Charger program the programmer with the firmer shift points and less torque control like my predator or do I edit it after the install with the Predator.
I know they need the VIN number.
Can you run 87 octane gas or do you have to run 93?

Scott
My situation was this: Paid my tech 25 hours to install the SC, install the headers and exhaust, aftermarket dual fan setup and tuning. Tuning included two trips on the Dyno.

I think the installation is possible for a fairly skilled mechanic but I would warn against trying any extensive computer mods. As an example, my tech told me that the program included with the Magnacharger set the fuel/air ratio up way wrong and he had a hell of time trying to figure that out. Finally bought a license and program to do the whole thing. I think the Magnacharger program is supposed to do what you mentioned buy you must be careful. Another example, we ordered mine with the program for 4:56 gears. They sent the program for 4:32 or 4:31 gears! More time screwing with finding out what was wrong.

I know with the predator you can set your car up to run either high octane or low octane. I am certain with the more elaborate program you can do the same.

I bought a Predator but now realize that it was just a waste of money....

·
Registered
904 Posts
Thanks, Like I said the laptop is the way to go when you tune it is just how far do you want to do, I like to go to the drag strip on test night after every change and make a couple runs so I will know if and how much diff. it made one way or the other and it is fun to beat the 05 GTO's with the LS2 since that is the hot setup at the strip nowdays, The guy that works on mine said he had trouble with the rear end pos units for the SSR but can't remember what it was right off hand

·
Registered
127 Posts
Jim G. -- The dyno charts were sent to you and Rainwater on this past Tuesday. They should be there today or tomorrow. The USPS isn't as fast as the SSR! :jester

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Gary: The dyno chart arrived. It is impressive, at 390 hp and 375 ft lb of torque.

But, the extreme squigglyness of the curve SUGGESTS that the PCM is possibly pulling timing. What ambient conditions was the dyno run done at?

If the ambients conditions were exceptionally hot, I would ask for another dyno run under more normal conditions. If the run was done under reasonably normal conditions, and if you paid for dyno tuning as part of the work done, you are entitled to much smoother curves than THAT.

The air / fuel ratio curve looks very smooth even though I cannot see the actual numbers on this printout (about 1 point type!!), so I would suspect that the issue is timing, not air / fuel ratio.

If your shop cannot do better, I'd suggest contacting Lyndon Wester (888-937-8371)

I see you have the good Dynatech Supermaxx headers, but that Flowmaster is still a catback versus a true dual exhaust, isn't it? If so, try to get MTI Racing to send you a kit version of their Dual Shotgun exhaust (if ennough people request it, they WILL put together a kit). THAT would really make a difference.

This is a GREAT start. You have a very torquey power curve, just perfect for a heavy vehicle like the SSR.

Do you also have the stock curve somewhere? They must have done a baseline run. See if you can get them to email the TABULAR (not graphed) version of that stock curve to me. That would be helpful.

Jim G

·
Registered
127 Posts
Jim G. -- I called MTI 3 times and finally they stated as of right now they don't plan on a kit for the dual exhaust. They will make it up and install it if you bring the vehicle there to Atlanta. I called them right after you had yours installed and they were going to call me when they made the kits up when enough Fanatics ordered the kit. I think there wasn't enough interest shown and it would not have been cost effective to venture capital on so-so interest. :banghead

As far as your request for the graphed dyno for the stock curve, I had it and I will try to get that and the tabular one to you. I'm presently in Detroit for an all weekend conference and then I'm going to St. Louis till Thursday. Hopefully I will send you the info then. :thumbs

I will have the dyno done again once I install the new tranny and remove the all of the torque management. I should say that most people would not like the way the tranny shifts so hard right now, BUT I LOVE IT!! I had most of the torque management taken out.

STAY TUNED! --There's more to come, if I ever quit traveling :party

Gary

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Install cost

I talked to local shop and they said they would install for 600.00. They have installed many turbos and super chargers. They usually do imports, but said it would not be any different. They are ASE certified so I can cam the 3/36 warranty from Magnacharger.

Scott

·
Registered
321 Posts
1HOT12C said:
I talked to local shop and they said they would install for 600.00. They have installed many turbos and super chargers. They usually do imports, but said it would not be any different. They are ASE certified so I can cam the 3/36 warranty from Magnacharger.

Scott
Scott: $600 to install the Magna seems a tad shy to me. If they will do it for that, good for you.... Remember that installation will require retuning and they may not have that figured in the cost. It is also nice to have a before and after Dyno so you can visually see what you have paid for.... The real proof is in the right foot though!!!

1 - 20 of 129 Posts