Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 179 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mikepowell - The dyno on the auto was done early in the morning on a 50 degree day. Mine was done in the afternoon on a hot summer day here in Southern California. The tuner is great, and says that the stick and auto are dynoing the same.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Supercharger HP?

2005SSR6speed: Am I understanding these posts correctly, that these HP numbers are from a chassis dyno and are therefore rear wheel HP?

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is correct these are all RWHP (Rear Wheel Horse Power) numbers and were done on a Mustang Dyno. They would put the engine at about 550 HP if you assume just a 10% loss from the drivetrain.

·
I'm not cool...
2,096 Posts
thats kinda what I thought

2005SSR6Speed said:
mikepowell - The dyno on the auto was done early in the morning on a 50 degree day. Mine was done in the afternoon on a hot summer day here in Southern California. The tuner is great, and says that the stick and auto are dynoing the same.
those # are way impressive :flag

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
RHShute - will get to give his impressions here real soon when he takes it for a ride.

Keep in mind that this is a perfect custom tune from one of the top tuners in the country right now with the new LS2. Your result will be close but each engine is a little different. Realistic dyno results will be between 470-480 RWHP on a stock engine with the tune you receive from Magnuson Products.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
It's been reasonably established that the Magnuson kit adds about 110 rear wheel hp to an 04 or 05 SSR.

That being said, I think I pretty much prove in Chapter 18 of my book that the Magnuson dyno reads high compared to most dynos, steady state or inertia. Anyone wanting to double check my research can easily do so themselves by looking INTENTLY at dyno charts from other sources as well as Magnuson.

Also, there is no way that an automatic will make as much REAR wheel hp as a stick, because the losses through an automatic are substantially higher. If Magnuson got the automatic to deliver the same rwhp as the 6-speed, then they simply tuned it either (a) better or (b) more aggressively.

2005ssr5speed: You should go back and find out if it was (a) or (b). If (a), get them to duplicate the tune they put on the automatic (the engine portions only of course) onto your 6-speed. My guess is it will then dyno higher.

Modern engines don't vary very much at all from engine to engine as produced on a properly running production line. So, I doubt that the automatic guy "got a better engine from the factory".

Those wanting more than the Magnuson delievrs should read the cautions in the Handzel and Endres books which are both devoted SPECIFICALLY to the Gen III engines. At 450 to 500 crank (not rear wheel) horsepower, aftermarket connecting rod bolts are recommended (and Handzel should know - he SOLD the GM ones as the product manager for GM High Performance Parts). After 550 hp, forged pistons and betetr connecting rods are both recommended. The Magnuson kit works really well and really relaibly apparently, because it is well thought out and exercises MODERATION. It's about as far as you want to go without getting INSIDE the engine block FIRST to beef up components.

Again, this is not me saying this. It's straight from both these two books by others who apaprently have first hand experience. The books are available at any Borders or Barnes & Noble. Highly recommended.

Jim G

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dyno results need to be looked at as a tool not the end. Each dyno will record similar but different results. It is not my intention to mislead members and I only posted real dyno sheets from the tuner. When comparing dyno sheets in different locations a 10% difference is not unheard of. Typical results from the Magnuson Products superchargers are 20 hp per pound of boost. The kit for the 05-06 is 6 pounds of boost. As with any modification a dyno run should be done before and after the modification to properly document the results.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Now my thoughts

Well, I've been out since 7:30 this morning driving THE BEAST. This is a wolf in sheeps clothing. I wasn't sure what to expect. I flew back late Friday night from the PRI, Performance Related Industries, convention in Orlando and had to deal with family obligations all day Saturday, so today was daddy's day. I took off down the freeway to get it washed first. Other than a little whine @ moderate accelaration, it was the same vehicle it was a couple a weeks ago. Once I was at normal operating temp, I stepped on it. It imediately downshifted to 4th and sets you back in the seat. I looked down, the SSR needs a headsup display like my Corvette, a second or so later and I was going over 100mph. Once you put your foot in it and hear the whine of the supercharger there is no mistake, Someone has let the ponies out of the corral. I found that from a dead stop, you cannot be agressive with the throttle. It just wants to light the tires, once you are rolling though, you can give it all its got. The first to second shift is spectaular. The tires always used to chirp during that shift. Now under hard acceleration the back end breaks loose for about a second as the ass end moves sideways abit. In normal everyday driving you would even know its superchargered. My 15 year old daughter drove it about a half hour ago, and as long as you don't get a heavy foot on the loud pedal, you might as well be driving my wife's Lincoln LS. I'm quite impressed with the package. THe funny thing was, I checked my gas milage for the day. I still was reading 13.7 on the DIC. Go figure. All I can say is that it's a hell a va bang for your buck.

Richard Shute
RHShute

Attachments

1 - 20 of 179 Posts