1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MagnaFlow is a California Company with Headquarters at
1901 Corporate Center Drive
Oceanside, CA 92056
However, their direct fit Catalytic Converters (93980,49580) for the ’05-06 Chevy SSR are 49 State Legal excluding California. I am planning to contact the company to see what it would take to get certified in California. So, I was wondering if any other California SSR owners had an interest in MagnaFlow Catalytic Converts for the ’05-’06. The cost is quite a bit less then OEM.
The miles and the years will make this a must-have.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,276 Posts
Good luck, hope it works out. Due to the low production numbers, and even lower number of SSRs actually located in CA, and the cost to get parts CARB validated for CA I am pretty sure it will be an uphill battle.

I know this is going to be a future issue for CA R owners. Not long ago I sold a set of used cats to a owner in CA, the truck he bought from the East coast did not have the OEMs in it.

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
Caltrans employee doesn't care, it's the certified ones or forget it. If you have a problem with that take it up with the boss. That's the attitude of all government employees everywhere, cover thine butt. Probably easier for a pretty woman to seduce a married inspector and blackmail him, than get something new certified. :lol

·
Premium Member
1,297 Posts
You may want to look at a set of Pypes, they do a lot of Mustang exhaust and some Chevy. I got a set from them, hi Flo but not the racing flow. They woke the R up big time. Easy fit compared to other cats I looked at. They did offer a cat that was similar to the OEM cat, but I never asked them if it would meet CA standards. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
19,727 Posts
Caltrans employee doesn't care, it's the certified ones or forget it. If you have a problem with that take it up with the boss. That's the attitude of all government employees everywhere, cover thine butt. Probably easier for a pretty woman to seduce a married inspector and blackmail him, than get something new certified. :lol
Not caltrans workers but CARB

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
I stand corrected, I thought it was Caltrans that actually inspected the vehicles. :redface:

·
Premium Member
19,727 Posts
State licensed shops do testing and repairs. But they have referees if there is a problem . Any added on parts are supposed to be carb approved . California sir resource board . No kind you it’s crazy up there st carb , one of its members had the first particulite filter approved and had to be install on your heavy duty diesel. And installers had to be trained and certified . I was certified by employer through cleaner Corp. to install on buses . They were junk , constantly were clogging up and electronic module going bad. No matter what they had to go on

·
Slingshot Rules!
72,623 Posts
State licensed shops do testing and repairs.
For the many years I called California "my home" I never understood their "fraud encouraging" concept. Many Vehicle Repair Shops and/or Mechanics have ethics issues already so the Dummies in Sacramento tempt them with even more power.

Thank Goodness "my home" is in Arizona now. Here you take your vehicle to an Emission Testing Facility. If the vehicle passes you are presented with a Pass Receipt after paying $12.25. End of story.

If the vehicle happens to fail, you are presented with a Failed Certificate and that's it. They are not allowed to offer any advice or recommendations and/or referrals whatsoever. Once the issue has been addressed, another inspection is required but this time not another $12,25.

Overall, far superior to California's questionable system which, rightfully so, would be totally illegal here.

So Sad . . . even after 20 years there seems to be little or no improvement.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,276 Posts
The California Air Resource Board has a website database that lists all of the approved catalytic converter components for vehicles in California. When attempting to look up any year of SSR there are no approved manufacturers. In fact, the SSR is not even listed as a vehicle in the database. I suppose you could arbitrate and attempt to show that the SSR has the same drivetrain as a Trailblazer and therefore should be allowed the same replacement parts. Whomever is the first to have to push the issue will undoubtedly have to take some time to work this all out with the state and their associates.

https://ssl.arb.ca.gov/PartsSearchTool/CatalystSearchTool.aspx

I agree with the others, this is one of many CA'isms that really suck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts