Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Magnaflow exhaust for my SSR and was completing the install(which required cutting the factory exhaust - as opposed to no cutting required as advertised :mad ) and proceeding to torque down the clamps to 65 ft lbs. as recommended. The first clamp snapped at 60 ft lbs. and now they want to charge me $27.00 to overnight new clamps or I can wait until next week for them to arrive by ground :boxing Apparently customer service is not tops on their list! Have others had this problem? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Magnaflow

1) yes had to cut factory pipes
2) Had some adjustment problems (have final adjustments soon)
3) no clamp problems

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Did they ever get them lined up correctly? I remember as you were pulling away last time you were in town that one was higher than the other. How about that melted area where one of the pipes made contact? Did you get that fixed yet? I must say, they are impressive to hear and are certainly huge in size!!!!! :seeya

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Ed

I will get them "evened up" here shortly. There is a period of time where the heating and cooling of the pipes made them shift up to "1, but that has settled down now. I will try to fix the melted paint after the final adjustment is made.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Magnaflow Woes

I had a lot of trouble getting the sections to line up, even with the help of two top-notch mechanics. The whole installation was a compromise from the start. It went together in no time flat, but we never could get the outlets to look the same. The worst part is that there are several obvious, simple improvements that could have been incorporated to make the parts line up easily!

It looks a little goofy, but it sure sounds good! (No clamp problems, except that the rubber mount that comes with the kit for the rerouted left tailpipe sure is cheesy compared to the factory mounts. It's just too small.) :rant

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Magnaflow - Install update

I finally finished the easy install (Yaa right) of the Magnaflow dual exhaust. I got the extra clamps (after paying for overnight shipping :cuss ) and then I made the following modifications to get it to look right. ( I am a bit of a perfectionist and the extra effort might not be for everyone)

I cut 1/2" off the piece from the muffler to the drivers tail pipe.(It seems a couple of degrees on the bend of the pipe could have avoided this) The cut was made where the tail pipe and the other piece come together. I also did not use the Magnaflow supplied rubber hanger support for the drivers side exhaust pipe but, used the factory one instead. I used a couple of stainless washers on the hanger mount(driver side - tail pipe) to provide just the right exit for the tail pipe. I tourqued everything to 60 ft. lbs( as 65 ft lbs seem to be a problem for the clamps). I now have exactly 7/8" all around the tail pipe on both sides and good clearances for the pipe routing. A fair amount of extra work for something which should drop in and I agree Magnaflow could make a couple of small changes to make this thing fit much better:nono
Anyhow, it's in now and sounds great!(looks good too) :thumbs I will try to upload some pictures next week.

·
Registered
62 Posts
ron dickson

flowmaster makes a beautiful 3" cat back system, and as far as i know none of the instal issues that seem to have been experienced with the previous posts :)

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Pipes

I actually had the drivers side pipe move against the bumper which caused the paint to melt. Of course I think it was the installers error as much as the bad design of the rubber hanger for the drivers side, but I've moved on now....

the melted paint is not noticable unless I pointed it out to you because it's on the inside edge of the bumper. As soon as I have the pipes "evened" up (because the passenger side pipe is about 1/2" farther out than the drivers side) I will attempt to fix the paint.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
cat back?

What is cat back system?
I am a freshman when it comes to manipulating hardware. Tell me when you say true dual system, does that mean you have two separate exhausts left and right from two headers to two mufflers then to two tips or two headers to single muffler with 2 separate baffled channels out to two separate tips.
I just contacted mofo about the mAGNAFLOWand the cost is ~ $650-700 installed. Is this price reflective of what you all flowmaster predicesors have paid for the system being talked about?
In my high school days(70's) I remember changing the headers and installing glasspacks on my 1970 Chevy van inline straight six engine and replaced the stock with 4 barrel holley. I remember sounding loud -- which was great back then. Is this what you all are doing except at higher end?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Magnaflow

Saharajohn, You called today and asked about Magnaflow not flowmaster and the price was $497.99 plus UPS fees. Installs run about $50.00 to $75.00 We only sell Magnaflow as they are the very best. Mofo (949)760-5070

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
i am sorry mofo if you felt i was trying to mislead other viewers. I had no such intent. You did quote me that price plus $50-100 for the installation. What about the tax- since I am in California. Uncle Sam is not going to give me any break.
As a consumer, I tend to accept quoted prices towards high end or even higher more so than hopeful lower end (especially when it comes to installations). If you add $497.99 + 100(?) + tax (I didn't add shipping costs since I was going to drive there to pick it up.) we should arrive at the cost i listed....
What reason do I have to inflate the cost-- I was content with that price.
i am not a seller with any angles. I am in this site to just enjoy and share views and information

Tell me If I am wrong

·
Registered
93 Posts
Exhaust

Saharajohn, I did not assume or imply that you were trying to " Mislead " anybody on this board. I was merely correcting you on the brand you inquired about as being Magnaflow not flowmaster. As far as the price, the quote I gave you "included Tax ". This would make your total outlay from $550.00 to $575.00 installed which is very reasonable. I hope this clarifies my position on this matter. Mofo

·
Registered
152 Posts
Aftermarket Exhausts> WHY

Not so sure why the need for the aftermarket exhaust.

Have had several friends try the Magnaflow and they each had difficulties, particularly when they found that pipes had to be cut and the adjustments necessary were not all that easy for a "purrfect" install.

Frankly, somewhere between little and nothing wrong with what the General brung to the party....... at least in my view!

:party

·
Administrator
8,204 Posts
New Pipes

SSRGUY said:
Not so sure why the need for the aftermarket exhaust.

Have had several friends try the Magnaflow and they each had difficulties, particularly when they found that pipes had to be cut and the adjustments necessary were not all that easy for a "purrfect" install.

Frankly, somewhere between little and nothing wrong with what the General brung to the party....... at least in my view!

:party
I would have to agree with D up there....

However, I did hear Tom's SSRCobra new exhaust system and it definitely was much louder and it had more of a "deeper throat" sound. It did sound nice to be honest with you, but not sure how it sounds inside of the SSR while driving. If I were looking to do that I would certainly ask him for more details about his.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts