Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2004 SLINGSHOT
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Has anybody ran into the burning of the fascia with running the cat back system? Iam just on a trip right now and after about 700km , I noticed the driver side outside part of facia , melting the paint than the ABS.. I got a couple of pics , it’s centered in exhaust opening. Iam not sure why this would be doing this , airflow under truck? I’ve put reflective tape around the problem spot , till I get back home to deal with it . Thanks in advance.
Car Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Light

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,953 Posts
That is because the Magnaflow 5" tips do not have adequate cooling airflow on the outer shell. I've seen it happen to several SSRs in the last 17 years. The Bosal 5" tips had a tendency to do the same thing, for the same reason.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
5,839 Posts
I have Simple-Engineering's 5" tips for over 3 years and have had no heat issues. However, I have Stainless Works headers with high flow cats & Flowmaster Super 44 muffler...

Reactions: richsadams

·
SSR Believer
3,886 Posts
Ours has a Magnaflow muffler (stock pipes otherwise) and Mike's 5" exhaust tips here too and no issues. Had a local shop install the tips. $100 well spent. (y)

·
Premium Member
2004 SLINGSHOT
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That is because the Magnaflow 5" tips do not have adequate cooling airflow on the outer shell. I've seen it happen to several SSRs in the last 17 years. The Bosal 5" tips had a tendency to do the same thing, for the same reason.

Mike
Thanks Mike, any solutions to this issue? Different tips , SE ?

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 S/C Pac Blue 6spd
1,698 Posts
Thanks Mike, would your tips work the best?
I’ll say this, many of us run Mike’s tips and are pleased with them. I have Mike’s tips on a Magnaflow cross over muffler cat back system, and I have them on the stock muffler and I honestly like the stock muffler sound over the cross over. It has a deeper rumble.

What many folks don’t appreciate is how much the exhaust system moves under normal operating conditions and especially with heat. The when the exhaust gets hot, the driver’s side will move a lot. This is especially true with the aftermarket catback as the mounting point is relocated and the pipe is shorter. A lot meaning, 1/2” or more. The passenger side far less so, as the Magnaflow system reuses the factory mount, which is much more resistant to side to side movement or really any movement compared to the drivers side.

With a cold exhaust, independently try and shake the exhaust tips and you should see the driver‘s side move more, even on a stock R this is true. I found the rubber mount used by the Magaflow system to be softer, and switched back to the stock rubber mount.

Back story:
I’ve got both a Magnaflow cat back and the stock exhaust and I ended up flattening the Magnaflow pipe as it comes by the pan hard bar to relieve a rattle of the exhaust against it under certain conditions. Later on I had to have it changed to put the same bend around the spare tire area, so I could carry one. Since I got the opportunity to do it over again, I kept the stock exhaust pipe configuration on our second R.

I ran the Magnaflow cat back with the 15843 setup, I forget the muffler # at the moment, and many folks run them and like them, but I really disliked the drone. I especially disliked the setup after I changed the torque converter, as it put the engine rpm at cruising speeds right in the drone zone. I too have burned my rear facsia on the driver’s side, but that was due to a different temporary issue. I ran the 15843 setup for years and grew to accept it. However, I then decided to split the Y-pipe and try the Magnaflow 12568 and see what happened. I greatly prefer the Magnaflow 12568 cross over as it drone is gone and it flows better, but it will actually decrease the mileage by about 1-1.5mpg. With the 12568 we can talk in normal tones at freeway speeds, unless my right foot is down.

·
Slingshot Rules!
88,642 Posts
Just to add The Doophus's Two Cents Worth . . .

Way back in May of 2010 . . . Thanks to the information and endorsements at the great and relatively frequent Tech Sessions in Phoenix, I had the MagnaFlow Cat Back System installed and was planning to add Mike's Exhaust Tips. Once I witnessed and drove The Doophus with the new MagnaFlow System including the MagnaFlow Exhaust Tips, I decided "maybe later?"

Now after TWELVE PLUS YEARS, the same system with the exhaust tips that were included with the package are still performing flawlessly and looking great. Nothing but very positive comments on the GREAT EXHAUST SOUND as well as the GREAT LOOKS.

After thinking about this thread overnight, I just checked The Doophus's Butt and there are No Burns or Boo-Boos anywhere around the exhaust tips whatsoever.
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood

! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: !

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 S/C Pac Blue 6spd
1,698 Posts
Looks like it may have gotten nudged over against the side?
The exhaust system grows longer when it gets hot, especially when driving for a while, and then it pivots on the driver's side mount which is located more forward on the Magnaflow exhaust than the stock mount. I also recall the Magnaflow is inboard versus the stock being outboard, but the movement fore and aft is the bigger factor in movement and stability of the tip. In my opinion, it all makes difference. The reason the Maganflow exhaust doesn't use the existing mount is because their exhaust does not go outboard of the frame rail like the stock one does. When I had the "kick out" made for my exhaust so I could carry a spare, I went back to using the existing stock mount.

To Mike's comment above, the polished part of the tip that you don't see unless you are laying under the truck after they are installed, or staring at the last few photos of the tips on his website, are actually open to the incoming air vs. closed back down onto the pipe. This allows them to dissipate heat better.

I feel like quoting @SWT RYD here, and saying something about "...staying at Holiday Inn once", :LOL:, (so I will). But I have actually measured and studied the geometry and done some measurements🤓.

The drone experienced in mine was very likely due to a combination of removing the stock inlet pipe, which has a neck down just before the muffler, and less baffling in the muffler. I made the situation worse by installing a higher stall speed converter, but benefited greatly in the acceleration department. As stated many times in various threads GM did some significant work on exhaust system to get rid of the drone.

@DOOPHUS I respect your 2 cents worth. As we all know the exhaust sound is a personal one, hence I preface my comments with "I honestly like" and later on state "many folks run them and like them". That said, everyone liked the way mine sounded too, but they didn't ride in my R for hours at a stretch. I personally prefer the sweet rich smell and sound of my 454 with side pipes, but I don't fancy driving it across Texas without hearing protection :oops:.

@Baggerboy1969 - I did not answer your "best" question, as almost any answer is subjective. There is no "best". There are many folks that like the raspier sound of the stock tips and think those of us that have changed them have made the exhaust sound worse. I've that R owners tell me that directly. I obviously don't think so, but I respect their opinion.

Magnaflow makes a good product and they've sold many sets for the SRRs. They work fine in many cases and many people like them.

Font Map Parallel Slope Terrestrial plant

·
Premium Member
2004 SLINGSHOT
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The exhaust system grows longer when it gets hot, especially when driving for a while, and then it pivots on the driver's side mount which is located more forward on the Magnaflow exhaust than the stock mount. I also recall the Magnaflow is inboard versus the stock being outboard, but the movement fore and aft is the bigger factor in movement and stability of the tip. In my opinion, it all makes difference. The reason the Maganflow exhaust doesn't use the existing mount is because their exhaust does not go outboard of the frame rail like the stock one does. When I had the "kick out" made for my exhaust so I could carry a spare, I went back to using the existing stock mount.

To Mike's comment above, the polished part of the tip that you don't see unless you are laying under the truck after they are installed, or staring at the last few photos of the tips on his website, are actually open to the incoming air vs. closed back down onto the pipe. This allows them to dissipate heat better.

I feel like quoting @SWT RYD here, and saying something about "...staying at Holiday Inn once", :LOL:, (so I will). But I have actually measured and studied the geometry and done some measurements🤓.

The drone experienced in mine was very likely due to a combination of removing the stock inlet pipe, which has a neck down just before the muffler, and less baffling in the muffler. I made the situation worse by installing a higher stall speed converter, but benefited greatly in the acceleration department. As stated many times in various threads GM did some significant work on exhaust system to get rid of the drone.

@DOOPHUS I respect your 2 cents worth. As we all know the exhaust sound is a personal one, hence I preface my comments with "I honestly like" and later on state "many folks run them and like them". That said, everyone liked the way mine sounded too, but they didn't ride in my R for hours at a stretch. I personally prefer the sweet rich smell and sound of my 454 with side pipes, but I don't fancy driving it across Texas without hearing protection :oops:.

@Baggerboy1969 - I did not answer your "best" question, as almost any answer is subjective. There is no "best". There are many folks that like the raspier sound of the stock tips and think those of us that have changed them have made the exhaust sound worse. I've that R owners tell me that directly. I obviously don't think so, but I respect their opinion.

Magnaflow makes a good product and they've sold many sets for the SRRs. They work fine in many cases and many people like them.

View attachment 620797
Sent you a PM

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
1,269 Posts
It looks to me, from the above pictures, that possibly some sort of repair was performed on the damaged area of the rear panel. I think it possible a filler material was used in the affected area that is less heat resistant than the panel sheet itself. It looks as if the filler is flaking away at that point and taking the paint with it. That might explain why few others have had an issue in this area. Just a speculation on my part.

·
Premium Member
2004 SLINGSHOT
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It looks to me, from the above pictures, that possibly some sort of repair was performed on the damaged area of the rear panel. I think it possible a filler material was used in the affected area that is less heat resistant than the panel sheet itself. It looks as if the filler is flaking away at that point and taking the paint with it. That might explain why few others have had an issue in this area. Just a speculation on my part.
The flaking portion is from the paper backing of the reflective tape , trust me there is no filler in this area. I can’t get a great pic of this , but above the effected spot the plastic has bubbled up quite a bit. That being said , after I repair it there now there will be filler material. I’ve sent off a email to Magnaflow , not expecting anything , just wanted them to see potential damage that may be incurred from using this system . I’ll keep the group posted on it if any or no response is acknowledged by them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts