Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped at a muffler shop today and asked about changing my muffler. The suggestion was the large Magnaflow. I wondered if anyone who has in fact put this on and there likes or dislikes. He also said the HP increase was a 7.5 to 15% but that is a little hard to believe. Thanks for any imput! sandy g.

·
180 Posts
What a coincidence!

Just put Magnaflow exhaust and Dynatech headers on my '05 slingshot yellow over the weekend. Love the tone! Others have said this, but at idle and cruising speeds, the sound is very controlled and you could easily have a conversation with a passenger without any problems.
A good punch on the gas, however, releases the hounds, with a great high performance aggressive tone that puts an ear to ear smile on your face!

Difficult to assess performance gain of magnaflow alone since I put in the headers at the same time. The combination of these two mods together was impressive to say the least. My vehicle felt quick and much lighter with a dramatically improved low end response. Seat of the pants dyno felt like at least a 10-15% gain.

If you haven't done so already, you may wish to do a search on this forum since there is a wealth of information about bolt on performance mods. Even better, just click on Jim G's considerable body of work. His post and threads have become the Fanatic Performance Encyclopedia! Good Luck!

I am going to try and find time to post tomorrow on tips for the dynatech header installation. We installed the headers in the driveway without a lift (actually had the front end up less than two feet!) in about four hours! Did the exhaust the next day. Highly recommend these mods!

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I have a Magnaflow on an '03. I really like the sound! Other have stated that there are other brands that cost less...

·
Registered
904 Posts
GUB said:
I stopped at a muffler shop today and asked about changing my muffler. The suggestion was the large Magnaflow. I wondered if anyone who has in fact put this on and there likes or dislikes. He also said the HP increase was a 7.5 to 15% but that is a little hard to believe. Thanks for any imput! sandy g.
If all you are doing is changing the muffler it will be for sound only, You won't get any HP increase to speak of, I went with the hole FlowMaster kit, 3 inch pipe better bends, I took it to test night at the drag strip and didn't pickup a full 1/10th of a sec. with the hole kit, I then added Dynatech Supermaxx headers with hi flow cats, The headers gave it that hot sound when you got on the gas, It also took 2 or 3 1/10th of the et but you could tell it had a lot more torque

·
Registered
380 Posts
GUB said:
Sandy,

I had the magnaflow put on my '05 last week and I love it. They changed the pipe from the cats to the muffler with a 3" because that pipe actually reduced to 2" - 2 1/2" by the time it went into the muffler. Sound wise, as stated earlier you can have a converstaion without yelling, but when you get on it, it has a nice rumble. I find myself sitting at a light and putting it into neutral just to hear the rumble. My guy told me I should see about 7 to 10 extra hp. I'm not sure about extra hp but it seems a little smoother when i get on it. I highly recomend changing that one pipe and the muffler. Cost was great only $275, well worth it. I do need to find out a little more about the headers everyone else is talking about. I am also going to go for the "Superchip" Programmer when it becomes available. They said by November in time for SEMA. Also going for a K & N filter, also when it becomes available.
Good luck and lets us know how you make out.
Bard
:ssr

·
Registered
501 Posts
muffler

Hey GUB,

Go for it, you won't be dissapointed.I actually.. I was very suprized how much more torque and throttlwe respose had the cat back system installed before I did the headers and it opened the motor up quite a bit.
I had the guys weld up a 14" ss magnaflow 3" inlet with 2 -2 1/2" outlets.
I was quite surpriszed how much more torque and throttle respose I gained for the cost.

·
TROUBLE MAKER
568 Posts
I Must Praise Stainless Works!!!!!

Hubby just put on "Lenores" Stainless Works Cat Back Chambered Exhaust,
I just love how her sound is much louder and deeper. I have heard a few SSR's with magnaflow cat back, they sound good, but this cat back from stainless is the best I have heard without headers!!!
Thanks to Diggs, he is the one that told us about this exhaust, we had to wait two months to get it, but well worth the wait!!!
I use to like to just look and admire her, now I like to just listen to her rumble!!!! :thumbs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts