Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know of a few SSR's that have had an Engine Main fuse box problem/failure.

Docrod, Richard/Sharlene Titzlaff here in Florida just had to have his fuse box replaced for only $800 bucks. His R would not start, sometimes.

The Dealer said "Fuse Box" needs to be replaced.

I asked Docrod to send me the Fuse Box so we could dissect it and see if we could find the problem and the repair.

Here is what we found.

1. Fuse locations on 05/06 fuse engine panel. NEW Fuse Box comes with fuses/Relays in place.
2. Drive out pins on back side of fuse panel.
3. Retainers are swaged on back side of panel, use exact drill size to drill out swage and separate panels.
4. Lot of corrosion between fuse panel and copper wire. Bare wire routed on board.
5. Fuse from above is pressed into prongs.

Attachments

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More:

Ed Borland, Ed's-Red-05 did the testing:

All Mini fuse connections were corroded.

Visually inspected the larger fuses and breakers and found no corrosion on the terminals.

Tested the connections between the terminals on both sides of the assembly using a battery charger and a lamp - all connections tested good. (Used lamp to test current through the connections - better test than using an ohmmeter.

Terminal to terminal connections are made in the fuse block via copper wire as shown in the photo's.
Some copper wire ends are cut off straight and others ends curve down into a hole - see Photo.

NOTE: Connection on the left side of photo, wire is cut off straight and bottom of wire curves down into hole.

Separated the two black boards to see where the curved wires go, wire end that curves down stops in hole, goes no further- it does not connect to anything.

This photo shows the two black plastic boards separated.
There is nothing to examine or test between the boards and no need to separate the board.
(We were told there is a printed circuit board between boards - there is not.)

Conclusions:

There was nothing wrong with the fuse block.
The corroded Mini fuses could have and may have caused the problem.
A relay/breaker internal problem could have and may have caused the problem.
A poor fuse block connection could have and may have caused the problem.
There is no printed circuit board in the fuse block assembly.

Attachments

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It may have be a faulty Starter Relay on the board.

We have all the original fuses and Relays which we will be testing to see if we can isolate the problem Docrod was having.

He may not have needed a WHOLE new fuse box.

Dicktator

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Thank you for your intensive labor of love and your research. I know you will keep us informed of any new items that might crop up, and more then likely, the cure.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I have for years removed all fuses and relays from the fuse box and sprayed WD-40 on the fuse box then re installed the fuses and relays. Probably a dumb thing to do but call me obsessive compulsive.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,792 Posts
Good job of diagnosis and dissection by the Florida gang. Wish I could have been there to help.

When we were at the rally in Texas in 2009, we had a problem with Mr. Merlin's fuse box. We troubleshot it down to a bad connection at one of the fuses. One of the tensioned prongs in the fuse block had a bad connection at the fuse. When we found out the cost and delay of replacing the box, we decided to do a field repair to get him home..... I put a slight twist on the two prongs of the fuse that went into that particular location and it made adequate connection for him to press on. I am not sure if Merlin ever changed out the fuse block, but we definitely diagnosed it down to a single bad connection between the block and the fuse..... No, there was no corrosion on it...

Regards,

Mike

·
Tech Support/Research
1,602 Posts
Fuse Box

Another perspective: rodents are attracted to GM fuse blocks as nesting areas. My local dealer advised me that electrical issues on a couple of Silverados/Avalanches were traced to wires within the box that had been chewed on by mice who nested in a small cavity on the underside, near the fender. Tough to find and diagnose for sure...the fuse block had to be removed to see what was causing the problem.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More

1. It is a bear to remove the bottom of fuse box. Bolted to the fender.
2. These are the Main connectors that connect to the fuse block.
3. Main connector lay on the bottom inside the fuse box.
4. They connect to the pins and are held in place by the screws we punched out.

You could remove this portion (top) part of the fuse box, loosen screws and separate the fuse box. Clean or at least check the connections between the connectors and the fuse block.

DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN THE SCREW when you put back together. Only "snug"!

Dicktator

Attachments

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Fuse Box

Hi Dick

Got a call from BoB BSTPAPA HE was on his way up to come by us had stopped at a store went to leave and R cranked but would not start !!!! While he was on the phone had him open the Engine Main fuse box and press down on the relays . The Starter Relay is the main one that he grabbed and the R started up... I think that will be the first thing that we will replace Do you know if power run through that relay to the coil packs on start up ?? Will spraying the contacts will contact cleaner in the Engine Main fuse box do any harm or good ??

Thanks Art

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hi Dick

Got a call from BoB BSTPAPA HE was on his way up to come by us had stopped at a store went to leave and R cranked but would not start !!!! While he was on the phone had him open the Engine Main fuse box and press down on the relays . The Starter Relay is the main one that he grabbed and the R started up... I think that will be the first thing that we will replace Do you know if power run through that relay to the coil packs on start up ?? Will spraying the contacts will contact cleaner in the Engine Main fuse box do any harm or good ??

Thanks Art
I would remove, clean relay prongs, spray fuse location w/contact cleaner. I would also put small amount of die-electric grease around bottom of relay to help prevent moisture from getting in.

Have to go to the manual on the coil packs, maybe someone out there knows.

Dicktator

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Here is the Sticky on Power Point Presentations for Tech Seminars.

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/f5/update-free-tech-power-point-84570/

Click on link and pick out Engine Fuse Box.

Information has been updated.

Broken wire in fuse box.

We, Florida Chapter are setting up exchange program for Engine Fuse Boxes that includes removing broken wire trace and replacing with straight wire trace.

Stay tuned for updates.

Dicktator

·
Registered
79 Posts
The business I use was troubleshooting an issue with the check engine light. They purchased a main fuse box as indicators where point them in that direction. It was not the issue and now they have a main fuse box (from chevy). If anyone is interested in purchasing it. They will sell it at their cost $625 (I assume without shipping $). PM me and I'll give you the contact info and check if it is still available.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts