Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sitting at a light and the indicator light comes on. Within 30 seconds the bells go off and the dash lights go off like a Christmas tree. (I had no idea how many alarms were there) when I was finally able to move I pulled over a block later. Let it cool a bit and added water. (About a gal.)
Back on the road and the temp gauge goes from 200 to 250 in about 1 mile (no alarms or warnings yet)
I pull over to check the water. This time when I slowly loosen the cap, all hell breaks loose and water and steam explodes like a volcano.
After tending to a blistering hand and forearm I top off the water and head out to give it another go. I'm about 10 miles from home so I figure I'll inch my way home and pull over as soon as the gauge starts to rise.
So now I'm home and the gauge ran at under 200 the whole time like nothing ever happened.
These blisters hurt like a bitch, so I'm pretty sure something happened.
What do ya think ??
Stuck thermostat ??

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,187 Posts
Sitting at a light and the indicator light comes on. Within 30 seconds the bells go off and the dash lights go off like a Christmas tree. (I had no idea how many alarms were there) when I was finally able to move I pulled over a block later. Let it cool a bit and added water. (About a gal.)
Back on the road and the temp gauge goes from 200 to 250 in about 1 mile (no alarms or warnings yet)
I pull over to check the water. This time when I slowly loosen the cap, all hell breaks loose and water and steam explodes like a volcano.
After tending to a blistering hand and forearm I top off the water and head out to give it another go. I'm about 10 miles from home so I figure I'll inch my way home and pull over as soon as the gauge starts to rise.
So now I'm home and the gauge ran at under 200 the whole time like nothing ever happened.
These blisters hurt like a bitch, so I'm pretty sure something happened.
What do ya think ??
Stuck thermostat ??
If you have an OEM fan installed, this sounds like the first stage of fan failure. This is MUCH more common than a stuck thermostat.

Regards,

Mike

·
Daily Driver
8,958 Posts
The cap pressure relief may have been plugged up and the second time you took it off, when it blew up, may have cleared it. Long shot but possible.
How do I know? Wanna seen my scars.

Oh, change the oil after an overheat, always.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cap pressure relief may have been plugged up and the second time you took it off, when it blew up, may have cleared it. Long shot but possible.
How do I know? Wanna seen my scars.

Oh, change the oil after an overheat, always.
Thanks Bruce, Wouldn't have thought about the oil (first overheat)

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
They recommend replacing the caps after a few years because the O rings deteriorate and do not make a good seal. When my truck was running a little hot I flushed out the whole system,changed both radiator hoses,new clamps, replaced the reservoir tank, and installed Mikes replacement fan. Truck runs around 200 now and only creeps up a little when running thru the higher Mts here in Tn. If your having these problems now when it's not even hot in Florida it's time to get it taken care of before summer gets there,

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,937 Posts
Overheat is problem with SSR, my 04 did that also, 10yrs ago, before I installed Mikes fan (I have two in stock).

Long drive for you, about 5 or 6 miles. I am in Clearwater, Fl.

Having some SSR's at my house tomorrow morning, come by we will do install, takes a few minutes.

My Email: [email protected]

Cell: 727-460-6038

My SSR How to Library:

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

Look up COOLING SYSTEM

Dicktator

·
Premium Member
7,342 Posts
04 Silver Bullet ... Sun rise Saturday morning, haul ass to the Dictator ... home 20 Clearwater, Florida !!! Dick and his friends are better than Todd Hayes at Todd's Complete Auto Care here in Murfreesboro, Tennessee !!! tennesseecozydog :ssr

·
Registered
214 Posts
BTDT. My first problem with over heating happened the day after I bought my 04 SSR. I took her to Valvoline oil change. For some unknown reason the ? How do I describe the employee? Brain dead? The radiator cap was removed at some point. Oil was drained & the sales employee told my of 10 things I needed to do to keep my SSR running? I told him to just change the oil. About half way to next destination the Bells & whistles with steam started coming out from under hood. I dropped off girl friend & checked under hood. The Brain dead employee left the cap of reservoir. I called my Dad to meet me with antifreeze & coolant. Took 1 and a half gallons to fill. Long story short. my SSR has been a nightmare of problems. Overheating was the first along with speedometer, ABS, multiple fuses blowing etc. I flushed the system later that week. The drained coolant came out White? Never saw that before. Changes all relays water pump, thermostat, radiator. I found that the connector to fan had melted & was getting no power to fan when I pulled radiator. I got a Cooling fan from Mike & replaced the connector. The SSR was fine except in traffic. And cruise in on Fort street down river Mi the problem cam back. The temp gauge hit 260. So I watched instead of cruising. Any way I drained the coolant & checked all the connections. What I found is that the SSR Radiator is lower that the highest water passage on engine. With some help from a GM Service Manager. I installed DEXCOL & left the small hose that goes to TBI off & Reservoir cap off. I burped all the air by squeezing the upper radiator hose of air. reconnected hose & continued burping. I was told that a shop car install coolant under pressure to keep air out. I took SSR out to the next months cruise. My GM friend told me in heat & humidity days. Turn the snowflake for A/C on all the time. Cooling fans are on all the time. Still saw the temperature raise but not past 210 degrees. So I decided to make a change told to me by some street racers.They told me if I knew a GM Mechanic? LOL Have the temperature fans come on & off changed. Well I know of no mechanic or some one to change the settings. Dealer won't do it. SO!? I bought a Diablo Preditor tuner. Removed the factory tune & installed 87 octane tune. Took my girl up to Woodward ave dream cruise in August. Hot Humid & not much air movement. The temperature gauge barely moved. Stayed the same all day. I found that the Performance tune is too hot for SSR catalytic converters. They will burn up circuit board of ABS. Waiting till spring when I will change to high performance Catalytic converters & New ABS circuit board. No repair shop garage will install parts I bought so come on spring. Moral of story? GM made the cooling system wrong. No air movement at low speeds & the air can not exit from under hood. Radiator top should be higher than highest coolant passage in engine

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Overheat is problem with SSR, my 04 did that also, 10yrs ago, before I installed Mikes fan (I have two in stock).

Long drive for you, about 5 or 6 miles. I am in Clearwater, Fl.

Having some SSR's at my house tomorrow morning, come by we will do install, takes a few minutes.

My Email: [email protected]

Cell: 727-460-6038

My SSR How to Library:

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5!853&cid=3EF39D9F5ADCE5E5

Look up COOLING SYSTEM

Dicktator

Thanks Dick
I didn't get an opportunity to access the forum until just now but I'll take you up on the fan. I'll give you a shout Monday morning to set it up. If you have one of Mikes air dams I'd be interested as well.
Woke up today and the blisters were twice the size from yesterday's photo shoot.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
BTDT. My first problem with over heating happened the day after I bought my 04 SSR. I took her to Valvoline oil change. For some unknown reason the ? How do I describe the employee? Brain dead? The radiator cap was removed at some point. Oil was drained & the sales employee told my of 10 things I needed to do to keep my SSR running? I told him to just change the oil. About half way to next destination the Bells & whistles with steam started coming out from under hood. I dropped off girl friend & checked under hood. The Brain dead employee left the cap of reservoir. I called my Dad to meet me with antifreeze & coolant. Took 1 and a half gallons to fill. Long story short. my SSR has been a nightmare of problems. Overheating was the first along with speedometer, ABS, multiple fuses blowing etc. I flushed the system later that week. The drained coolant came out White? Never saw that before. Changes all relays water pump, thermostat, radiator. I found that the connector to fan had melted & was getting no power to fan when I pulled radiator. I got a Cooling fan from Mike & replaced the connector. The SSR was fine except in traffic. And cruise in on Fort street down river Mi the problem cam back. The temp gauge hit 260. So I watched instead of cruising. Any way I drained the coolant & checked all the connections. What I found is that the SSR Radiator is lower that the highest water passage on engine. With some help from a GM Service Manager. I installed DEXCOL & left the small hose that goes to TBI off & Reservoir cap off. I burped all the air by squeezing the upper radiator hose of air. reconnected hose & continued burping. I was told that a shop car install coolant under pressure to keep air out. I took SSR out to the next months cruise. My GM friend told me in heat & humidity days. Turn the snowflake for A/C on all the time. Cooling fans are on all the time. Still saw the temperature raise but not past 210 degrees. So I decided to make a change told to me by some street racers.They told me if I knew a GM Mechanic? LOL Have the temperature fans come on & off changed. Well I know of no mechanic or some one to change the settings. Dealer won't do it. SO!? I bought a Diablo Preditor tuner. Removed the factory tune & installed 87 octane tune. Took my girl up to Woodward ave dream cruise in August. Hot Humid & not much air movement. The temperature gauge barely moved. Stayed the same all day. I found that the Performance tune is too hot for SSR catalytic converters. They will burn up circuit board of ABS. Waiting till spring when I will change to high performance Catalytic converters & New ABS circuit board. No repair shop garage will install parts I bought so come on spring. Moral of story? GM made the cooling system wrong. No air movement at low speeds & the air can not exit from under hood. Radiator top should be higher than highest coolant passage in engine
:frown2:

Didn't read your post because you must not have learned in grade school about punctuation.

No one likes to try and read line after line after line of text without a (space break) which translates to using PARAGRAPHS.

Please......................:nerd:

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,187 Posts
System Design is good.....

The SSR system is designed to self-clear all bubbles. That is why there are hoses from the top of the radiator and the cylinder head steam vents to the surge tank. The bottom of the surge tank has a line that connects to the inlet of the water pump. These two small inlet lines and the outlet feed to the water pump provide a constant flow of coolant through the tank. The system is constantly self bleeding to remove any bubbles from the cooling system. It works great, as long as you have enough coolant in the tank. The surge tank IS the highest point of the system..... appropriately so.

Although this is a very small cooling system with very little margin for error, the overall system design is one of the best.

My two cents,

Mike

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Red Lady that's quite a horror story. Especially coming out of the starting gate with a new (to you) car.
I've been lucky so far. I've had my R for just over a year and with the suggestions from the forum, along with Dictator and Purple Haze I've done a few upgrades with parts from AZ Mike to avoid potential projected issues.
Obviously Cooling is the current top priority.
Good luck and thanks for the post.

·
SSR Pit Crew
2,033 Posts
:frown2:

Didn't read your post because you must not have learned in grade school about punctuation.

No one likes to try and read line after line after line of text without a (space break) which translates to using PARAGRAPHS.

Please......................:nerd:
I think you're being a little harsh on the guy. Most of us knew the basics of English composition at one time but if not practiced for years, maybe even decades it can be difficult.

Hopefully we can all focus on his message and try not be too critical.

Dave

·
Registered
214 Posts
I do read my posts before posting. No pronunciation & paragraphs? What are you talking about? I do my best to get my writing correct. But when I post? It is all bunched up. Tab sends me down the page. Dam I thought I was out of school? Never took a computer class. Have no idea how to make my posts readable for you.

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
:|

Sorry, I can in fact be a little harsh when it comes to basic stuff like using paragraphs. Mom was a life long grade school teacher and I got corrected most any time I messed up in basic grammar.

Also, I took a typing class as a college freshman, so that has translated into being one step up from "hunt and peck" as is known by those that type with one or two fingers only.

Try hitting the (enter) key at the end of a few sentences of text. That should send the cursor down one or two lines. Then you can hit the enter again if you want more space and/or start into another few lines of text............Bingo, you're now into creating paragraphs.:wink2:

In some ways, school never ends. There is always something new you can learn.

Merry Christmas.:grin2:

·
Daily Driver
8,958 Posts
BTDT. My first problem with over heating happened the day after I bought my 04 SSR. I took her to Valvoline oil change. For some unknown reason the ? How do I describe the employee? Brain dead? The radiator cap was removed at some point. Oil was drained & the sales employee told my of 10 things I needed to do to keep my SSR running? I told him to just change the oil.

About half way to next destination the Bells & whistles with steam started coming out from under hood. I dropped off girl friend & checked under hood. The Brain dead employee left the cap of reservoir. I called my Dad to meet me with antifreeze & coolant. Took 1 and a half gallons to fill.

Long story short. my SSR has been a nightmare of problems. Overheating was the first along with speedometer, ABS, multiple fuses blowing etc.
I flushed the system later that week. The drained coolant came out White? Never saw that before. Changes all relays water pump, thermostat, radiator. I found that the connector to fan had melted & was getting no power to fan when I pulled radiator.

I got a Cooling fan from Mike & replaced the connector. The SSR was fine except in traffic. And cruise in on Fort street down river Mi the problem cam back. The temp gauge hit 260. So I watched instead of cruising. Any way I drained the coolant & checked all the connections. What I found is that the SSR Radiator is lower that the highest water passage on engine.

With some help from a GM Service Manager. I installed DEXCOL & left the small hose that goes to TBI off & Reservoir cap off. I burped all the air by squeezing the upper radiator hose of air. reconnected hose & continued burping. I was told that a shop car install coolant under pressure to keep air out.

I took SSR out to the next months cruise. My GM friend told me in heat & humidity days. Turn the snowflake for A/C on all the time. Cooling fans are on all the time. Still saw the temperature raise but not past 210 degrees. So I decided to make a change told to me by some street racers.They told me if I knew a GM Mechanic? LOL Have the temperature fans come on & off changed. Well I know of no mechanic or some one to change the settings. Dealer won't do it.

SO!? I bought a Diablo Preditor tuner. Removed the factory tune & installed 87 octane tune. Took my girl up to Woodward ave dream cruise in August. Hot Humid & not much air movement. The temperature gauge barely moved. Stayed the same all day. I found that the Performance tune is too hot for SSR catalytic converters. They will burn up circuit board of ABS. Waiting till spring when I will change to high performance Catalytic converters & New ABS circuit board.

No repair shop garage will install parts I bought so come on spring. Moral of story? GM made the cooling system wrong. No air movement at low speeds & the air can not exit from under hood. Radiator top should be higher than highest coolant passage in engine
You sure had had a rough time due to bad service and bad advice.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I failed English in all grades. I can't read without falling asleep.
No I did not watch all the after school specials about writing & conjunction junction.
I had a kid who's Mom I was dating. He told me I wrote terrible text on cell? 4 years of college & all he can do is correct my sentences & fart on my head?
So I will try harder. I have been banned from SSR Fanatics before. Some old lady reported that I was not stating all the good things about SSR's? My Chevrolet junk heap retro truck had multiple failures in first months. Dealers did not know Chevrolet built such a beast. Then to be threatened with arrest for trespass at a Cruise in & have my SSR Crushed when Police took me away?
No I have not had a easy life Man with Mom as a school teacher.
I have terminal cancer. Leukemia is taking my bones over with a rare chromosome fusion of 9 & 10. Only a few, less than 50 people mostly infants have ever been diagnosed world wide. So my last Christmas I offended some ones?? I will be gone before my Birthday. So long.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
A very ‘heart wrenching’ story, and I can only imagine how hard it is for the ‘Lady in Red’ to tell it. I don’t know many folks who haven’t been affected by this terrible disease. I do know from my observation that this is a very caring bunch of folks, and that our thoughts and prayers are going to be with you and your family throughout this difficult time. God bless you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts