Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought it only fair to inform members of this site about a warning by the CDC of a new malady sweeping the nation.

Currently named SSRitis, it is marked by a general feeling of wellbeing, combined with a feeling of restlessness, manifested by a desire to drive a roadster/pickup hybrid manufactured by Chevrolet.

Symptoms include a seeming immunity to chilly temperatures, tendancy to miss expressway exits by five to ten miles(overshot), propensity for above speed limit cruising and a penchant for flagrant displays of top raising and lowering.

Although not fatal, no reasonable cure seems to be in sight (nor is anyone really working on one).

Cases should be reported to this site as group therapy shows promise in long term treatment.

t

·
Registered
407 Posts
Great post cause I have been laughing about missing exits and turns ever since I first drove mine!

Having one of these babies is tough but we'll get through it if we hang together!

rick:cool

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
I've got it real bad...

Only known cure - keep on SSRin'...

I'm on a 2nd shift at the job (for a couple months) - so I've been able to take my 'medicine' daily - then go to work! My normal commute is 'bout 20 straight miles - but lately I've been diverting up thru the foothills to get some curves!

Attachments

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
F86 Sabre...

I'm a co-owner of the F-86 Sabre (as a taxpayer we all own some of the govt. maintained warbirds) The SSR kicks it's butt from a standing start!

These are actually a static display at The 144th Fighter Wing at the Fresno Airport - they have kept one of every different type of aircraft used - and display them... (FYI: They currently fly F16's)

The bird with the red and white tail is an F-106 Delta Dart - my favorite of the bunch that are on display...

B

·
0 Posts
106s are awesome! Only topped by the 105 "thuds" for sheer single engine punch-in-the-gut power! I'm partial to 100s cause my dad flew those, but I'd give my left front lugnut (not off my SSR) to fly any of them! :thumbs

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
P-51

I've not had a chance to fly in a 'Century' series aircraft - but I understand that the 106's were referred to as the 'cadilliac' of the skies due to the smooth flight characteristics. I DID get to go inverted in a P-51 at The Gathering of Warbirds airshow in Madera CA a few yrears back - I knew volunteering to help the AFA put on the show would pay off - Ialso got a ride in a B-25!

Attachments

B

·
0 Posts
Man, you've already lived my dream! I would love to fly in a P-51! I don't even need to go inverted...just be there! I've had a ride in a B-17 and a tired C-54, but it doesn't come close to a 51!

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
1/2 the dream

Now that I've been inverted - 'on the deck' by the way, I need to fufill the other 1/2 of the dream - supersonic. I'm hoping that my freelance writing skills will get me a ride in a current USAF jet!!!

·
Registered
413 Posts
ailment

took a 100 mile round trip today It took 196 miles STRANGE

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
malady

I could have this. Last month I was driving with the top down and noticed something floating past me at a stop light. It was snow! I still didn't put the top up until I got home.:)

·
Registered
110 Posts

A little out of sequence but..

My dad was on the 106 pretty much up to when he and it were retired. His squadron was one of the last to fly (49th FIS) Griffis AFB.

I remember the cassette tapes of his voice and engine noise in the background that he would send from "the adviser action"

Incredible aircraft.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Contagious

The CDC has confirmed that SSRitis is extremely contagious, as cases are being reported across the nation. It seems that people exposed to every single SSR are becoming infected at alarming rates. Few appear immune, but males from age 8 to 98 seem to be most susceptible. Productivity has dropped in workplaces at a rate directly related to the visibility and accessability of the vehicle to the workforce. At some companies, where the first SSR on the employee parking lot can be seen through windows of the facility, productivity has virtually halted. Warning labels may be required in the near future.

Suggestions for the wording should be submitted to this site.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Another Symptom...ADD

I believe I have identified a withdrawel symptom of SSRitis. When I drive the company car or my wife's car, I am struck with Attention Deficit Disorder...I keep wondering why peole on the road aren't paying attention to me. Driving the SSR, I expect everyone I pass to stop and stare...and I guess I get used to it. When they stop staring because I'm in another vehicle, I at first wonder, "What's wrong with these people?"

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
talk about withdrawal

how about this one; since I forgot (didn't notice it) to renew my driver's license in December, as I reached the car rental counter at the airport this morning, I was informed that they only rent to people with valid driver's licenses (go figure :confused ) so here I am sixty miles from home with no wheels (flying back to KY for some business stuff). Here's a plug for National/Alamo. After I realized that the fault was all my own and only one dumbass could be blamed, I apologized to the counter guy and asked if he had any ideas.

Instead of telling me what a dumbass I am(which I probably would have done if I were him), he found that he had a mechanic who was test driving a rental and his test drive could be in the direction of my home. Fortunately, my son was at home and met us half way. Talk about luck of the Irish:cheers :cheers :cheers

My first stop upon arrival in Warsaw was the license bureau where I was required to wait all of five minutes, pay eight dollars and have the assurance that my stupidity would not inconvenience me for another five years.

But I digress:banghead :banghead , the point of this minor essay is the fact that I will be driving a 1990 Olds 88 for the next three days (after I repair the headliner), instead of my SSR. People may look, but I'll guarantee not for the same reason. The good news is that it runs like a top and instead of donating it to a charity in December, when we talked my 87 year old mother into not driving again, we decided to keep it around in case of emergency. So, the demotion from SSR to 88 Royale seems like fitting punishment for the stupidity which brought it about. Oh, and on top of that the high this week will be in the 40's.

t

1 - 20 of 30 Posts